WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Just checked out your Summerland pics Shutterbug. Very nice. Gets me fired up about getting out there. Thanks.

Just found this site and am very happy!

Can anyone tell me if I can mail stuff out when I pick up my cache's at Mowich and White River? I would plan on just sending Pre-paid Priority mail boxes with my cache.

Thanks!

Well there's nothing at Mowich Lake campground. Nothing.

White River is just a campground. No services.

You might be able to post something at Sunrise, though. There's significant services available there.

Quote Originally Posted by azjosho View Post
    Just found this site and am very happy!

Can anyone tell me if I can mail stuff out when I pick up my cache's at Mowich and White River? I would plan on just sending Pre-paid Priority mail boxes with my cache.

Thanks!
    As far as I know, the only place to mail anything from Mt. Rainier National Park is from the lodge at Longmire. There is a small post office at Ashford, Wa. A free shuttle runs from Longmire to Ashford.
    Shutterbug

Images

Judo and I mailed food caches to Mowich lake and to White river. We picked them up at the Ranger stations there. it worked out very well, they have to be in mouse proof (plastic) buckets.
    http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisi...d-and-fuel.htm

this lists the mailing address etc to use

Images

ooops , sorry, I just re-read the post, I got it backwards - it's late, I gotta go to sleep.

Journal Entries

Just got my intenary rejection letter in the mail... 2 campsites were already booked and they couldnt come up with an alternate itenerary based on my dates... Looks like I will be hiking somewhere else next august... I hope you all got better results....

Quote Originally Posted by 32ozgatorade View Post
    Just got my intenary rejection letter in the mail... 2 campsites were already booked and they couldnt come up with an alternate itenerary based on my dates... Looks like I will be hiking somewhere else next august... I hope you all got better results....
    Don't give up so easy. I am assuming that the two sites that are booked are Summerland and Indian Bar. They fill up fast. Resubmit a plan to hike from Sunrise around to Box Canyon, then when you arrive at Mt. Rainier see if you can book Indian Bar, Summerland or Olallie Creek sites on a walk-in basis. Worst case -- You will still get to hike 2/3 of the trail.

Shutterbug

Default The Wonderland Trail is calling!!

Mt. Rainier was "out" today. I took this picture from my back yard in Gig Harbor, WA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Mt. Rainier was "out" today. I took this picture from my back yard in Gig Harbor, WA.
    Long lens, then stitched together?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Guess we should consider ourselves very lucky because we got our letter and they approved our itinerary. I had selected alternate start dates but said no to alternate campsites. Now we just got to get to the trail and hope that most of the snow is gone buy the end of July!

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsawy View Post
    Guess we should consider ourselves very lucky because we got our letter and they approved our itinerary. I had selected alternate start dates but said no to alternate campsites. Now we just got to get to the trail and hope that most of the snow is gone buy the end of July!
    You are fortunate to get a permit. There is an increased interest in the Wonderland Trail. The May issue of Backpacker Magazine has "Mt. Rainier Adventure Guide" with a feature article about the Wonderland Trail. For some reason that I don't understand, their plan skips the northern part. Their suggested hike starts at Frying Pan Creek and goes around to Mowich Lake. The skip Spray Park, the Carbon Glacier and some of the best scenery on the Wonderland Trail. Still, the article is undoubtedly creating an increase in the number of permit requests.
    Shutterbug

Images

Wow, fantastic photo Shutterbug, thanks, there sure is a lot more snow on the mountain then when I was there in Sept. I'm glad I hiked before that article. We saw maybe 2 or 3 people a day.

I would love to go back and hike it again. It is the top of my list.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Don't give up so easy. I am assuming that the two sites that are booked are Summerland and Indian Bar. They fill up fast. Resubmit a plan to hike from Sunrise around to Box Canyon, then when you arrive at Mt. Rainier see if you can book Indian Bar, Summerland or Olallie Creek sites on a walk-in basis. Worst case -- You will still get to hike 2/3 of the trail.

Great picture shutterbug.. I decided to postpone the Wonderland Trail till 2013... I will have a bit more flexibility as to dates next summer... Going to hit the Colorado Trail instead...

Quote Originally Posted by 32ozgatorade View Post
    Great picture shutterbug.. I decided to postpone the Wonderland Trail till 2013... I will have a bit more flexibility as to dates next summer... Going to hit the Colorado Trail instead...
    You will love the Colorado Trail. I have hiked the section from Denver to Breckinridge. Hiking the rest is on my "ToDo" list.
    Shutterbug

Hi all. I'm trying to figure out what to do for food storage on the trail. Do I need to get something that is rodent/bird proof (ursack, etc.) and will I need to hang our food every night. I would love to hear what others recommend or do.
    Also, does anyone know of any transportation means available between the Seattle airport and the mountain. Thanks.

Images

There are bear poles at each campsite -

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    There are bear poles at each campsite -
    Any bear worthy of the name would laugh at them. But they seem to work.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++