WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Z55??

Question Z55??

Gregory Z55 pack ok for thru hike??
    approx. 3,500 in³
    about 4lbs.
    and claims to carry 40lbs.

I thought this pack would be fine for a thru hike until I saw it on a "weekend" category on a supplier's website.
    I dont plan on hiking 2000+mi w 60lbs on my back, so thats y I thought 40lbs max would be a good amount.

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks!
    ~ClassY

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I'm no expert, but I've been reading this website long enough to know pretty much what the experts will tell you.

They will say buy your gear first. Then try fitting it in the pack. If it fits and carries comfortably in the pack you want, get that pack, and don't worry about what the supplier labels it.

They will also say you definitely don't want to carry more than 40 pounds.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

I have the same pack. It's great, fits me well and is a fine pack for a thru. I have since gone with another pack, because of fit etc. but the gregory is a great pack, I still use mine for training hikes!

Thanks for the quick replies, and great advice.
    My heart just skipped a beat when I saw that on a few websites. But Gregory.com said it was good for thru hiking!! as well as weekenders.

I just got a little nervous when a $200 investment may not be meant for what I actually want it to do.
    But good advice Berninbush. Ty.

3mths away!!!!
    ~ClassY

Again, it is a great pack! I wouldn't hesitate taking this pack on a long distance hike!!! Enjoy and have a great time!!

HiKen2011

Images

I had a Z55 and really liked it. However, I found the shoulder straps and my shoulders weren't a good match. Nothing wrong with them, I just have very pronounced bones and needed more padding. I wouldn't think that it would be very comfortable around 40 pounds, though. I started having my issues at 32 pounds. The point behind this is to shop somewhere that you can wear one for a while with a full load and see if it's comfortable on you. There are a lot of great packs out there and of all of the features, individual comfort has to be highly considered.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ClassY View Post
    Gregory Z55 pack ok for thru hike??
    approx. 3,500 in³
    about 4lbs.
    and claims to carry 40lbs.

I thought this pack would be fine for a thru hike until I saw it on a "weekend" category on a supplier's website.
    I dont plan on hiking 2000+mi w 60lbs on my back, so thats y I thought 40lbs max would be a good amount.

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks!
    ~ClassY
    They (retailers) put it in a "weekend pack" category because if you follow their advice on what gear to carry (and buy from them of course) you'll need a pack twice as big to carry all the stuff they'll sell you.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Looks like a good size and weight. I wouldt get anything bigger or heavier though

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I have a z55 and it is great. Definitely would work for a thru. I have seen lots of thru hikers hauling them. Don't pay $200 for one. I bought one from REI outlet with a coupon for $100.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Never pay retail.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I used a Z55 on my 2010 thru. Near the end I had some stiching coming apart. Gregory sent me a Z55 loaner pack in Monson and repaired the original pack. I'd hike w/it again in a heartbeat. The loaner pack was a 2010 model and weiged a little more than the 2009 but had some better features for side pockets.

And I got mine off Steep and Cheap for less than $100.

I used the Z55 for my End to End of the Long Trail....absolutely loved it and it carried a heavy load very nicely. Most of the time in came in around 35 to 40 lbs. I did however overstuff the brains and the zip pouch on the back which caused the zippers to blow out. When I returned it they only had the Z65 in stock which is slightly bigger and just as comfortable....overall I have been extremely pleased with the Gregory packs.

-MEB

aka Kudzu
    Images

The Z55 was in the top 2 for my new pack. After trying it out for a while I ended up with the Deuter ACT Lite 65. I love the Deuter.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

I used my Z55 from Katahdin south to Franconia Notch NH this year. It worked great except - a major fault was that the hip belt buckle slips - it would not stay set, I ended up tying the loose end together. I loved the size, it swallowed all my gear. I averaged around 27lbs but I did not re-supply in the 100 and pushed 35lbs - mine did not have water bottle holders as the new model does. One more thing, it is not mouse proof, they chewed a hole in my mesh hip belt pocket even though the pocket was open. My fault, I left a couple of tiny pieces of foil from a candy in there.

I did have the same issue as Migrating Bird w/the hip belt slipping through the buckle. I added a 2nd buckle and the friction of the two kept it from sliding. It isn't as annoying as it sounds, but when I wanted to take the pack off, I did have 2 buckles to unsnap. I hiked most of the way w/out - added teh 2nd buckle in Hanover, NH.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    They (retailers) put it in a "weekend pack" category because if you follow their advice on what gear to carry (and buy from them of course) you'll need a pack twice as big to carry all the stuff they'll sell you.
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up. I was eyeballing the Osprey Talon 44 before I settled on my Gregory Jade 50 and it was more in the 'Overnight' category than not. Then why are so many '11 prospectives using that bag? Hmmm . . . . .
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

I have the Z65 and it's a great fit for me. For you maybe not. For me it was great. I'd definitely go into an outfitter and try on packs. Get someone to measure you, etc. and if they don't seem to know what the hell they're doing politely come back later and get someone else to help you. I decided to get my Gregory after trying on a range of packs at REI. The first time I went in I could tell the guy didn't have much experience and said I should wear a L. Went to a different REI and got fitted by a dude who knew his stuff and I've had no problems since with the pack.

Not that I bought the pack from REI.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gheparda View Post
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up. I was eyeballing the Osprey Talon 44 before I settled on my Gregory Jade 50 and it was more in the 'Overnight' category than not. Then why are so many '11 prospectives using that bag? Hmmm . . . . .
    My daughter has a Gregory Deva 60 (loves it by the way even though it's a 5lb pack because it carries so comfortably). The people at EMS tried to get her to buy a 70 or 85 liter version - they consider a 60 liter a "weekend pack". She doesn't even fill the 60 completely when out for 4 or 5 days.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I have the Z55 and the Z65, the Z55 is a great pack and you will not be disappointed They are well built, but you will need to try it on with weight. The large pad at the bottom can be somewhat uncomfortable for some but it works perfect for me. The 55 is perfect the 65 will be overkill. But I will keep it to take up the slack for the occasional hiking partner that is a novice. I can't say more about the pack. I love mine and it will carry over 30 pounds easy. But as a thru you will probably carry way less than that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++