WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default sad loss of a 2008 thru-hiker

Apparently, word is going around on fb that a 2008 thru-hiker was killed in Israel recently. His name was Danny Farahan a.k.a. 'Chewbacca'. Chewbacca was a cool dude and an inspiration on the trail. Had some good times with him. In 2008, he won the cake eating contest at Trail Days. God speed Chewbacca, you're at peace now bro.

Images

skinny d

That's so sad....what happened?

not sure yet. i do know that Chewbacca was a soldier in the Israeli army before his thru hike but don't know about afterwards.

Images

Sad to say, it looks true:

Daniel Lee Farahan
    3/7/1982 - 12/2/2010

Daniel Farahan's funeral services will be held Sunday, December 5th at Aaron Ruben Nelson Mortuary, 11411 N. Michigan Road, Zionsville, Indiana 46077 at 10:30 am. Burial will follow in Etz Chaim Cemetery.

Contributions to Apalacian
    Trail Concervancy or American Friends of Israeli Defense Forces

http://www.arnmortuary.com/
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

yep...that's him. i remember him being from Indiana. truly sad.

My condolences. I don't think I ever met him on the trail but combined with the loss of The General in September it's definitely been a sad year for the class of '08.

indeed. i didn't know the General, but i heard about him as well.

Images

Unhappy

Condolences to the family.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by jackaroo2008 View Post
    Apparently, word is going around on fb that a 2008 thru-hiker was killed in Israel recently. His name was Danny Farahan a.k.a. 'Chewbacca'. Chewbacca was a cool dude and an inspiration on the trail. Had some good times with him. In 2008, he won the cake eating contest at Trail Days. God speed Chewbacca, you're at peace now bro.
    Dang, that's too bad. It always makes me sad to hear about a hiker passing away. I don't think I ever met Chewbacca, but I do remember the name from that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Tim View Post
    My condolences. I don't think I ever met him on the trail but combined with the loss of The General in September it's definitely been a sad year for the class of '08.
    What happened to The General?? I did know him and considered him a friend. I just went to his Trail Journal and saw one posting in his guestbook about his passing, but it didn't say any more.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

I didn't get all the details but Forrest Gimp posted on Facebook that he had succumbed to cancer back home in England. We both summitted 8/20/08. I only hiked intermittently with him between where we first met at Fontana and Katahdin but he was one of my favorite people on the trail. He will be dearly missed.

chewbacca was very loved.ill miss him and so will all who had the pleasure to hike and meet him. very cool and great trail enthusiasm. he accepted me, so he had an open heart. i aint too acceptable.
    matthewski

I didn't get all the details but Forrest Gimp posted on Facebook that he had succumbed to cancer back home in England. We both summitted 8/20/08. I only hiked intermittently with him between where we first met at Fontana and Katahdin but he was one of my favorite people on the trail. He will be dearly missed.
    Thank you. I will miss The General too. Met him the first time in '04 in VA, then later that year in NH when he and Sunset left Glencliff and were climbing Moosilauke. I had flipped that year and was walking south and got to the hostel in Glencliff later that day. Sunset and The General walked in about 2 hours later. They had taken a wrong turn on the summit of Moosilauke and walked back towards Glencliff on another Trail doing a big loop and walking all day to get back to where they started from.

Saw him again in VA in '08. He was a good guy.

My condolences to the families of Chewbacca and The General.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I have just joined WhiteBlaze a few minutes ago. Condolences to his family and friends.

Images

Sad. Prayers to his family.

We lost Serene this year too. This is all very sad news.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Dear All,

My name is Gabriel Froymovich. I grew up with Danny and was his best friend. He was more than just a friend to me. He was a brother, a mentor and a soulmate. He loved hiking the AT. If someone would like to take the initiative to notify other trail hikers and gather some of the quotes here and any pictures you may have, I think that his family would appreciate it. You can e-mail me at froymovichg at sbcglobal.net. A hiker named Baboo, a much older gentleman that also hiked the Israel trail with him, plans to visit Danny's family soon.

++ New Posts ++