WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Would camping like this in A.T be okay?

Hey everyone. So basically my goal is to find a place where I can get away from home for a couple months and get into shape before college. My first idea was to try thru hiking for 2100 miles, but then I realized I really just have the gear, or the money to do something like that. So then I was thinking, that maybe I could set me up a tent campsite somewhere along the A.T, and just stay there for 3-5 months, hiking around everyday. I'd plan to keep my food supply in the tent, which would mostly be roman noodles, and proteins shakes. Problem is, by what I've read, that would just ask for bears or other creatures. So my question is, is there particular spots on the A.T, where I could do this? Or even park my car next to my tent? That way I could bring some weights or something to lift. Or am I better off just finding a campsite, with some trails around their area?
    Thanks.

Images

Is this a serious question?
    skinny d

So you more or less want to be homeless?

Why is doing a thru-hike any more expensive than living out of a tent on the side of the road for five months? How are you going to pay for food? I'm no lawyer but there are a number of camping type laws about length of stay. Technically you're not supposed to stay longer than 14 days in a national park for just this reason.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

heres what you could do,...sell the car and send me the money and ill hike. you may have more fun .camp for monthes at the same spot? no. we would tell everyone your tent is trail magic and to take as much raman and yuckky shakes as they want . and we would use your tent for a privy. this is frowned on. dont.
    matthewski

Ah okay. Well, the food would actually be quite cheap, i mean we're talking roman noodles, an the protein shakes. An like I said, I basically just want to get away from everything, maybe learn to respect things a little more. Thru hiking, would require me to go to pay for shuttles to small towns, restock every few days, etc.

But anyways, are their any campsites that have what I'm looking for, if I cannot camp out on the A.T?

Obviously he doesn't have the money for a thru. I would suggest that he start (wherever) and hike leisurely for however long he likes - it's O.K. to stay a night or two in one place, right? - so do that, and just hike slowly along until he is ready to either turn around and hike back or hike out and hitch back home or wherever his car is. I wouldn't suggest he sell the car, as he will need it later when he goes to school.

Other suggestion would be to go to a state park, set up camp and stay as long as he can there, then go to another state park, ditto.

What he wants to do is get away for a while, clear his head, and just chill out. There's nothing wrong with that - what folks really don't want is what he's maybe thinking about - making a long term camp of 3-4 months. That's not what the AT is designed for, and that's what people would seriously object to.

Something like this youtube video, I found it by random lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYLIhyMI7J4
    Except it would just be me. I mean just hike out, find a camping spot, set up, make it my area. Like I said, if it's unwanted on A.T, no problem. I'm just hoping that a campground will still let me get the feel of the wilderness.

The AT is not a Rocky movie where you go get buff in the wilderness, you don't thru hike to get in shape for college, you thru hike because thats what you were meant to do. In other words thru hiking is not a means to an end, it is the end. you thru hike to thru hike, you dont do it for something else.
    a happy boddhitsva

Camping in a campsite would cost much more than a similar thru-hike of the AT.

5 months hiking -$2000-$4000

5 months camping at a place that charges $15 a night - $2,250

You could cheap thru hike for much less than living in a place like this, not be bored and actually be able to say you hiked the AT.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

@think0075How can you honestly say why people thru hike? I personally believe we all are allowed to have our own reasons. I'm also not wanting to come out looking buff, I said get back into shape, and that was only one of the reasons. However if I were to set up camp, yes I'd take weights with me.

@thechop I thought tent camping could be as low as $5. Still you do have a point. But again it really just leads me to wonder if I could accomplish thru hiking? I mean I just feel that I would have so much trouble understanding how things work, how I would get to the towns to resupply, where to set up camp, hang my food, etc. I mean it's something I'd really like to do, it just scares me to think of it not working out. ((As it's a long drive for me.))

Images

check with campsites wherever... a lot of places have campsite hosts where you can stay in the campsite and help out in the campsite in return for your campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Concealed View Post
    @thechop I thought tent camping could be as low as $5. Still you do have a point. But again it really just leads me to wonder if I could accomplish thru hiking? I mean I just feel that I would have so much trouble understanding how things work, how I would get to the towns to resupply, where to set up camp, hang my food, etc. I mean it's something I'd really like to do, it just scares me to think of it not working out. ((As it's a long drive for me.))
    Well now if it scares you then by all means run away from it and act like it doesn't exist. A thru hike sounds exactly like what you want and it sounds like it would supply you with much needed confidence. You'll have 5 months to practice the skills you'd need to thru.

You can usually camp for free in the National Forests and most BLM lands.

To add: Not at formal campgrounds, but in the forest itself.

If you going to in the woods for months, might as well be hiking. Won't cost you any more.. You don't need to go to any town and if you do, you don't need to stay there. I met a guy (trail name "forager") who foraged his entire trip alng the way with a machete and carried only an army surplus sleeping bag and packpack. I've met folks carry 15 lbs pack and eat just rice and other who carry 75 lbs pack that bring a kitchen. The point just get out and start hiking. You will figure out what this means to you, what you need and now long you can keep it up along the way. You really don't need much. If needed, there are plenty of folks along the way who will offer advice if you need it.

That said, I did met an young man this year doing exacty you you want to do. He was out to hike as far as he could before going to college. He lasted 5 days and decide that he had enough "getting away from it all". I was sad he was not hiking but is was cleat he had gotten what he needed.

So if you hike, most of all, gave fun, relax, take your time and enjoy your trip.

Images

I think in some earlier posts "kooks" were mentioned,well this one goes to #1 on the list...FYI USFS regulations limit camping in one undeveloped site/area is limited to 28 days...then you can just move a little bit and start camping again...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I think in some earlier posts "kooks" were mentioned,well this one goes to #1 on the list...FYI USFS regulations limit camping in one undeveloped site/area is limited to 28 days...then you can just move a little bit and start camping again...
    Yes and no. Depends upon the policies for the particular area. Many limit camping to 28 or 30 days per calendar year - moving the campsite doesn't alter that.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Set up shop where there is a bear box. You can stash your stuff there while you hike and as long as nobody steals it you'll be fine.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I don't understand your point about thruhiking costing more because of resupplying. Under your "plan," you still have to go to town to get your Ramen noodles and protein shakes (and pay for them). To save money, you hitchhike but that's what you do thruhiking as well.

Re. the weights for exercising - forget it! Camp on National Forest land near a water source at the foot a mountain with at least a 1,500' ascent. Hike up it every day - you'll get in shape and likely build self-confidence. As Cleaner said, rotate your campsite every 28 days both for legal compliance and for variety. Camp a few miles (but at least 3) from a road to a trail town for your resupply.

I realize your funds are short but you'll need a good tent because you'll have a lot of rain.

Images

I hear Alaska can be good for what you're talking about. Might find an old bus that hunters sometimes use and crash there for a while.

But seriously, just about any place you go, unless you're paying for a site, "squatting" is going to be frowned upon - staying for days on end, and really even just a few days. And the getting in shape thing is confusing me, why wouldn't you hike to get in shape? Are you planning to workout with weights all day wherever you're camped? Where's the aerobic part? And food, if you're staying one place, you ought to be able to find a nice place to hang it everyday. Either that, or you could get a bear vault. And let's also be clear, the idea of eating ramen noodles and protein shakes every day is at odds with getting in shape. It fine to ramp up a certain area of your diet, but you need balance.

I just think you either don't really know what your real goals are, or else we're not getting the whole story.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++