WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Haunts

Images

Thanks Wizard, I did a lot of research on Dudleytown. Pretty eerie sounding. But as Elf says, it's supposedly heavily monitored by the 5-0. Which is why I will access it from the trail if and when I visit. It sounds like the cultists that go there are probably more scary than the place itself. I read different accounts of people that visited and one woman said that they left a bloody spine of a cow poking out of one of the cellar holes. Ughh.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    There are none. Ghosts aren't real.
    At the risk of being labeled "crazy" ..I have never had any haunting experiences in the woods or on the trail but "boogers" ARE real...LOL..I have one in my house....not a bad booger though......One thing to remember though.."Boogers can't hurt you,....they are dead already"...LOL..

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Spirit world is all around us.

With that in mind, I think Burningtown Gap, NC is haunted. My intuitions were reinforced when I heard the story of Burningtown Gap a coupla years later.

What's the story about that?
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Also a great place to go if you want to get arrested for trespassing...
    Not if you stay on the Mohawk trail, its an official blue blazed AT side trail and therefore public property. As soon as you leave the trail you are trespassing, its the only legal way in to or out of Dudleytown
    Why am I a wizard?? Thats simple...I am where the trail magic is...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Here's one out of the Companion:

Mollies Ridge Shelter (1961/2003)—Sleeps 12. No privy. Food-hoist cables available. Legend says the area was named for a Cherokee maiden who froze to death looking for a lost hunter and that her ghost still haunts the ridge. Water source is a somewhat reliable spring 200 yards to the right of the shelter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brian2o0o View Post
    I was hoping Ron Haven would chime in. This is what he told us last year.

After the Civil War, some of the freed slaves were living in a village on the mountain. They were supposedly stealing stuff and otherwise harrassing other mountain people in the area. The upshot is, the mountain was set on fire and the town burned, hence the name, Burningtown.

Ron, I hope I got it right.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    There are none. Ghosts aren't real.
    Sorry, false. I enjoyed being a skeptic until my first clear (and unexpected) sighting of one.

When it comes to this subject, I'm constantly bemused both by skeptic's who claim that the phenomenon doesn't exist just because they've never seen it for themselves as well as by believers who think they can read some sort of deeper meaning into it than the evidence would support.

I don't subscribe to any particular belief as to what they are, but the phenomenon that we casually refer to as Ghosts is real.

I'll stop trolling for now.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Sorry, false. I enjoyed being a skeptic until my first clear (and unexpected) sighting of one.

When it comes to this subject, I'm constantly bemused both by skeptic's who claim that the phenomenon doesn't exist just because they've never seen it for themselves as well as by believers who think they can read some sort of deeper meaning into it than the evidence would support.

I don't subscribe to any particular belief as to what they are, but the phenomenon that we casually refer to as Ghosts is real.

I'll stop trolling for now.

Yeah, and I lived in a house that was alledgedly haunted on the Presidio of San Francisco, but it turns out an overactive imagination and an old(pre-WW1) house can make you see and hear things.

(Throw in random homeless people from the city looking in your windows at night for more fun)

There is not a lot of evidence to support the idea that the recently deceased are wandering the earth.

THAT SAID, I like the idea of haunted areas, and camping in an area with the foreknowledge that it is "haunted" can be an experience.

To quote Arthur C. Clarke:

"I don't believe in ghosts, but like any reasonable man I fear them."

Brian and Gray,

Thanks for the info!
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Images

I snuck the word "alleged" in there in hopes of avoiding this argument, but who was I kidding? Haha.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Goodness mark the occasion! I agree with Luddite on something.
    yeahhhhh
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Default sarvers cabin

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    Sarver's Cabin is supposedly haunted. I've heard that you can see a face in the doorway at night. So what is the story of Burningtown Gap?

litefoot 2000
    definitely haunted, stayed there in the early nineties when the house was still partially standing. there was no shelter there then, you stayed in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by JEBjr View Post
    Wapiti Shelter gives me the creeps. And there's the so called Blair Witch House between Laurel Creek Shelter and VA 42/Keffer Oak
    I agree with you about wapiti shelter, I stayed ther in the early ninties I know the original shelter of the murder was destroyed but it still gave me the creeps. this is before I knew about the murder. I recalled these feelings after I read the book, murder on the at

Default one other spooky experience

I was hiking and fishing in the snp in the early nineties. We went up to skyland lodge to have a beer, but we couldn,t afford to stay in the lodge so we stealth camped about a half mile from the lodge. I learned later from an employee at the stables that we camped in almost that exact spot where two ladies were murdered one year to the day of our campout, definitely spooky vibes that night.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Here's one out of the Companion:

Mollies Ridge Shelter (1961/2003)—Sleeps 12. No privy. Food-hoist cables available. Legend says the area was named for a Cherokee maiden who froze to death looking for a lost hunter and that her ghost still haunts the ridge. Water source is a somewhat reliable spring 200 yards to the right of the shelter.
    10-K
    Some of my friends are in this group. There are lots of interesting things around Flag Pond, Erwin, and Uncoi.

http://hauntmastersclub.com/hauntedtricities.html
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I heard this, too, when I was there sitting out a storm. I heard it was the ghost of a young boy who died there or nearby.
    The story I heard was it was a four year old boy and they found him on a nearby mountain top (I think it was the one just south of the shelter) several miles away from where he was last seen. Some think he was murdered, but because it ws so long ago they lacked the technology to tell for sure.

Also, I've never heard anything about Rausch Gap, but this summer I was camped just north of the shelter on the other side of the stream. I got up to brush my teeth just before going to bed, and was certain there was someone else there with me. I shined my headlamp around and there was nothing. Probably just my mind playing tricks on me, but I rarely get spooked in the woods, and this sent me to bed with a very uneasy feeling. Took a while to get to sleep that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    The hostle at Mountain Crossings is haunted.
    and he stole the BBQ sauce i sent you all

Default Haunts

AT between Punch Bowl Shelter and Brown Mt. creek shelter a few miles south of the Rt. 60 trail crossing. There is a large rock formation jutting out from a tree covered hill side. It's called Scare Rock. Legend says that a land owner/overseer was very cruel to the tenant farmers working the area, he would beat them and take a large part of their yearly crop. One night on horse back he traveled along Brown Mt. creek, as he passed near Scare Rock a dark shape leaped upon his back. Horse and rider both we're terrified and took off at a gallop the dark figure finally lost it's grip and fell. The man arrived at his home and took to his bed where he shortly died. The next morning the horse was also found dead. When I have more time I'll relate a story that happened to my daughter and I along the trail above Harpers Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by tenbeer View Post
    I agree with you about wapiti shelter, I stayed ther in the early ninties I know the original shelter of the murder was destroyed but it still gave me the creeps. this is before I knew about the murder. I recalled these feelings after I read the book, murder on the at
    I stopped for lunch, alone, at Wapiti the year after it happened. Didn't know a thing about the murders, but after being there about ten minutes, I got the creeps really bad. I could not get packed up and out of there fast enough. Never felt like that before or after. Found out about the murder a few days later in town.

Solo'd at Sarver cabin once, never again. Mind just started playing tricks on me there, since everybody had been saying don't stay there, it's haunted...that was just mind games.

Images

Mitzpah hut in the Whites. Supposedly a child walks the attic floor at times, and may walk the nearby trails. A child was lost and died nearby and was taken to the hut until rescuers could get there.
    Greg P.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++