WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

GREAT idea. Lets let wild animals capable of pack hunting and taking down a human loose in our city parks!

My daughter lives in Evanston IL, about 2 blocks from the lake.
    They see them all of the time. They hang out in the cemetary during the day, then at night take on the other lower vermin in the area, mice rats or cats.
    Most of them are radio collar tracked.

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think it's a great idea. Of course if they're prolific breeders it's just a matter of time before it becomes a problem.

They've been there for years and someone finally decided to report on it. I wouldn't worry about them just don't let you cat run loose. Coyotes very rarely try to take anything larger then a racoon. I've had more issues with bears then coyotes. Plus they help keep the rodent levels down

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kinshipknight View Post
    GREAT idea. Lets let wild animals capable of pack hunting and taking down a human loose in our city parks!
    Let's get rid of all the 2 legged wild animals in the park first. They're a much bigger threat in nearly every way than coyotes will ever be. Better yet, keep indoors at all times to stay away from the scary coyotes.

Quote Originally Posted by kinshipknight View Post
    I suppose you believe in the boogie man too.

Coyote attacks on people are extremely rare. There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote.

Coyotes, also referred to as prairie wolves or wild dogs, are native to much of the West but have gradually spread throughout the U.S. and Canada, replacing exterminated wolf populations. They first showed up in New England in the 1930s and 1940s.

A typical coyote attack to a sheep or goat is to bite the throat just behind the jaw and below the ear, causing death from suffocation and shock.
    Coyotes have justifiably a huge fear of humans. Usually coyote attacks on people occur when a coyote has become comfortable around people, often as a result of people feeding them. National Wildlife Federation)

In the rare event that a coyote attacks you or someone near you, yell at the coyote to make it back off. Don't run away since a coyote can outrun you (unless you can run faster than 30 mph!).

Worst thing about coyotes while sleeping out: they can make a collosal racket.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Worst thing about coyotes while sleeping out: they can make a collosal racket.
    I love listening to coyotes. In a way, their maniacal yipping is similar to loons.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I love listening to coyotes.
    Same here. It always sounds like they're having a lot of fun.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

If you call to them you can get them to have a conversation I could get the group that live in the wildlife area next to us all worked up I would have 5 or 6 differant of them calling to me. The biggest thing with coyotes is keeping your smaller dogs close to the house when they are around. They are like wolves and will attack dogs as they see them as competitors. I think the first comfimed case of coyotes killing a person just happened in canada a couple years ago it was a 20 somthing lady out for a day hike if I remember correctly.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

The coyotes in my area sound more like hyenas than anything, kinda creepy My husband didn't grow up in a household interested in Nature and he didn't know that coyotes don't attack humans!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Gheparda View Post
    The coyotes in my area sound more like hyenas than anything, kinda creepy My husband didn't grow up in a household interested in Nature and he didn't know that coyotes don't attack humans!
    Incredibly rarely, anyway.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Coons are the big problem.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

The coyotes that killed that woman are referred to as New Brusnwick Coyotes (Eastern Coyote). They're not referred to as a different species of coyote but the genetic tests on those coyotes detected wolf DNA that is apparently not evident in the other Eastern Coyotes.
    http://www.wildlifetech.com/pages/necoyote.htm
    The risk from a coyote taking down and killing a human is still exceptionally unlikely.
    I'm sure Chicago can use the help in eliminating the rodent population as well as the stray cats etc.

And now they're floating on Lake Michigan as well.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...112086659.html

++ New Posts ++