WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Backpacking Pressure Cookers

Ok I'm English, and Australian. There I admit it. I grew up watching my mom make countless meaty meals with monster pressure cookers. Using cheap cuts of of brisket or stew meats and prepare a dinner in half an hour. What you would do with a slow crock pot is the same thing, it just doesn't take all day.

So guess whats happening everywhere but here.... yippe! Backpacking Pressure cooking - reduced dinner times and meaty low cost meals...I suspect you can cut vegan bean meal's in half the time too. But I am guessing.

http://bargainoffers.com/catalog/haw...ker-p-571.html

http://www.wisementrading.com/campco...surecooker.htm

or google.

Suggest practice at home before hittin the trail.

Enjoy!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

GSI actually makes two models designed for the outdoors. Granted I cannot imagine many hikers carrying even the lighter/smaller of the two models - it is a horse packer/car camping kind of tool.

As for beans? I just use precooked and dehydrated ones, they are nearly instant that way
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

I thought at least some hikers prepare, dry and rehydrate what fuels their leisure activities to avoid carrying the weight associated with pressure-cookers and other mechanical devices designed to save time and energy at home?

No doubt it's a good idea under the right circumstances, but I don't see the need to speed things up given the cost when there ought to be no hurry.

Hmm, varmint proof food storage at about the same weight and price as a Bear Vault-- and dual purpose item. This could be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post

Hmm, varmint proof food storage at about the same weight and price as a Bear Vault-- and dual purpose item. This could be a good idea.
    Ack! Almost 3 lbs for less than 3L of storage? I'm just not seeing the utility for backpacking. I barely see it for car camping, considering how often you'd actually use a pressure cooker.

Images

I have the Hawkins 1.5 liter aluminum pressure cooker and love it. I cook lots of whole grains and beans with it at home. Pressure cookers are great for brown rice and some beans. I don't usually use it camping or backpacking because it's a bit heavy and it's easier to use dehydrated food Of course, for me a lot of that dehydrated food will be cooked in the pressure cooker. I've used a cooker similar to the GSI and I've used Presto cookers and I like these Hawkin pressure cookers better. I have a 5 L pressure cooker for larger quantities but that's heavy stainless steel; it cooks well for larger quantities but it's too big and heavy for camping.

It weighs about 2lb (plus 1/4 oz). The aluminum 2 liter weighs just a little more.

Neither of these pressure cookers will work as a bear canister and might not work for raccoons, but they'd keep mice out.

When would I take it backpacking? I'm mainly vegetarian (lots of whole grains and beans) and have some allergies, so it might make resupply easier on a long hike. I'd definitely take it for long distance trekking in 3rd world countries or at high altitudes (takes longer to cook stuff at high altitude >10K'). For hiking the AT, buying dehydrated rice, beans, etc. or drying your own would be easier.

Mine is this one: http://bargainoffers.com/catalog/haw...ker-p-571.html

Images

The Hawkins 1.5 L pressure cooker could be lightened a bit, perhaps to 1.5 lb, still heavy.

Images

1. Too heavy
    2. 30 minutes - too long
    3. I don't bring raw meat backpacking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    1. Too heavy
    2. 30 minutes - too long
    1. Agree
    2. Depends on what's being cooked
    3. I almost always bring raw meat backpacking. Nothing better than roasting some kabobs you had marinating in your pack all day over a campfire. Or a few lambchops, or . . . I always carry a really long lightweight marshmallow fork for cooking meat. Either I just hold it if not busy or set up some rocks to hold it over the fire. Cook up a side of rice and . . . Mmmm - mmmm! Nothin' better. Tastes twice as good in the woods as it does at home too! Chef Prudomme would even have hiked uphill for 'em before he lost all that weight.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I used to use a pressure cooker when hiking but have found a mini-microwave much more versatile--there's nothing like a little Orville Redenbacher in the evening when sitting around the camp fire!

In addition to popping corn, I use it to defrost my Lean Cuisines for lunch and dinner and heat the water for my oatmeal in the morning. It is even convenient enough to whip out to use on breaks to melt ice for my Platypus or heat up water for ramen on a chilly day.

Makes a nice stool as well and if you leave open the door at night you don't have to carry a headlamp. Choosing items with multiple functions has really helped me lower my pack weight.

Sorry for the double post but the mini-microwave I recommend the most for hiking is the Sharp Half Pint.

I have tried other brands but either they aren't sufficiently waterproof or hold odors so I always come back to the tried-and-true. The new ultralight ultracompact microwaves just don't hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I used to use a pressure cooker when hiking but have found a mini-microwave much more versatile--there's nothing like a little Orville Redenbacher in the evening when sitting around the camp fire!

In addition to popping corn, I use it to defrost my Lean Cuisines for lunch and dinner and heat the water for my oatmeal in the morning. It is even convenient enough to whip out to use on breaks to melt ice for my Platypus or heat up water for ramen on a chilly day.

Makes a nice stool as well and if you leave open the door at night you don't have to carry a headlamp. Choosing items with multiple functions has really helped me lower my pack weight.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    1. Too heavy
    2. 30 minutes - too long

Remember burger was tartare.
    Hey Jesse ... its a learning curve, that can save time and food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 12-15-2010 at 22:36.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

A raw ten ounce steak on the trail? why not. Vac seal, bring a micro grate and build a dirty charcoal fire. yum.

Woo

++ New Posts ++