WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default re govenor Clement shelter

Why did you stay there in the first place?

THE GMC comes right out and says that hikers should not stay there. The place is dumpy and very close to a road.

I do remember the secret shelter.. I took the detour as I heard there was a promise of cookies there!

They oughta really just tear the place down and clean it up.
    DavidNH

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    more so in northern vermont. i lived there for 10 winters. fine conservative folks
    They seem to prefer very liberal representatives, though. Leahy, Jeffords, Saunders....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bartender View Post
    There is a new "secret shelter" just south of Gov. Clement. It sleeps 4-6, is on private property, has a good water source, and is beautifully built with beams taken from the trees they cleared. The privy was still a work in progress this past August, but is most likely done by now. There was even beer and soda in the stream. A sobo told us to look for the map in the ziplock on a tree. I'm not sure how known the place is now but there were several entries in the register. We signed in as Huff n Puff, Bug, and Pirate. It was one of the best nights we had on our LT hike!
    The "Swan Song" secret shelter is great. Privy is still being worked on, but you can use it. Sleeps 6 comfortably, tent sites around, great water source. The dirt road is a little close and I believe a car woke me up a couple times. The caretaker stopped by.. she is an AT and PCT thru-hiker and used to be the caretaker for Blackburn.

There were directions to the shelter in a ziploc under a rock, just south of the road crossing before the road you actually turn on.

I had my ipod on while passing Gov' Clement in the morning. Just waved the locals hanging out there (it was July 4th). There were two pick-up trucks parked right there. Someone told me they were showing a revolver. The GMC caretaker for the area was alerted.

The latest GMC magazine says that a gate has been installed to close the roadway to the shelter up to 9/15. To keep the local partying down. Has anyone actually seen the gate and/or had better experiences there this year. Thanks, Mark S.

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    The latest GMC magazine says that a gate has been installed to close the roadway to the shelter up to 9/15. To keep the local partying down. Has anyone actually seen the gate and/or had better experiences there this year. Thanks, Mark S.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=gate+shelter

As of 2010, is Gov. Clement shelter still as awful as it's been in the past. Or has the gate on the access road made it more livable for hikers and less attractive for keg parties, ect. I'll be going by in a few weeks and maby should go to the sercret shelter, where I stayed a few years back. Any info from this summer season will be appreciated. Thanks, Mark S.

We stayed there in late July (July 22, I think) and it was just fine. GMC had completely replaced the sleeping platform and may have been doing some further work (there was some lumber stacked in front of the shelter). It was just us and a young couple with their dog and we didn't see any evidence of recent keg parties, etc. As you probably know the water source is great. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

thanks for the update. I'll post my impressions in a few weeks. Mark S.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The road to it opens mid Sept. Might be a different story...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

thanks for the update Blissful. perhaps I should continue down the road to the secret shelter..

I stayed at GCS back in early July, 2010. I camped next to the river, a nice flat location, just down from the shelter. No problems with the locals, although it was mid-week, maybe weekends are different. I also believe that the FS road has a lock-gate on it, note sure what that means as I didnt see it. But to be honest, the GCS seemed okay to me, rather older shelter, but nothing stands out about it either.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Back when I made a habit of staying at shelters I found that this one had more mice than any I'd stayed in previously. This would be a good shelter to convince folks that they should carry a tent or hammock .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    The road to it opens mid Sept. Might be a different story...
    Just out of curiosity...

Any one know why "they" would open this road since, if I understand it correctly, this was the root cause of all the problems at this shelter? And who is they?

I never seen this shelter, but I understand this was one of the more notorious on the trail for a local party spot.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Just out of curiosity...

Any one know why "they" would open this road since, if I understand it correctly, this was the root cause of all the problems at this shelter? And who is they?

I never seen this shelter, but I understand this was one of the more notorious on the trail for a local party spot.
    I just read this on their website https://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=136 Note the second to last sentence. I guess that's the answer...

"The recent installation of a gate limiting motorized access to the Governor Clement Shelter in Shrewsbury is good news for overnight hikers. The Shrewsbury select board found a solution after years of discussion and concern regarding rowdy evening activities at the shelter during hiking season. The stone walled shelter, built in 1929, had long ago become a difficult place to spend a quiet night in the woods. Townspeople, the Green Mountain Club (GMC), Appalachian Trail Conservancy, Green Mountain National Forest, and Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation had been working to limit motorized access so that hikers, anglers, hunters and snowmobilers could continue to enjoy what is now one of the oldest shelters on the Long Trail and the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. The gate will be locked and closed to unauthorized motor vehicles from April 15 to September 15. GMC will post signs both north and south of the shelter so hikers will be aware of the gate closure period."

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Just out of curiosity...

It's opened for hunters, and later for snowmobile traffic. The gate is on an old road that is used to access the local woods. The AT shares resources with many different visitors. "Green Mountain National Forest, land of many uses". If the town had not approved the gate, GMC was prepared to demolish the shelter.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    It's opened for hunters, and later for snowmobile traffic. The gate is on an old road that is used to access the local woods. The AT shares resources with many different visitors. "Green Mountain National Forest, land of many uses". If the town had not approved the gate, GMC was prepared to demolish the shelter.

Cosmo
    O.K., I can see that. The way I was reading it I interpreted it as saying that they installed the gate to keep out ALL locals for the sake of a hikers, hunters, anglers and snowmobilers.

Some of the access roads have been washed out, limiting access. The floor has been repaired. We didn't stay there, but
    it seems improved.

6232543136_08cfc32125_z.jpg

Stayedat the Gov. Clement shelter July 2011 and no problems! The gate seems to beworking. This shelter is one of theolder ones and still has a fire place built right into the wall. It was nice to have a fire going to dry out ourgear and add some ambiance. The only traffic in and around the shelter was otherAT hikers. Just a side not, there isgreat water at this shelter, less than 50 yards away. Good tenting also.

Images

Stayed there in 2010 on a LT thru-hike with my wife. It was totally fine. There was a pile of lumber ready for them to do something with and it made a good picnic table.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

i stayed at this shelter when i thru-hiked in 2011 and they had recently closed that road off to the public so crazy rednecks can't drive their ATV's up there any more and it was a very comfortable shelter to stay at.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++