WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

No one should ever stay at Governor Clement Shelter. Place is a dump and the GMC clearly discourages anyone staying there. But beyond that, it's a dump.. more a place for drunken locals to gather than actual hikers. Keep hiking, there are better places ahead!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    No one should ever stay at Governor Clement Shelter. Place is a dump and the GMC clearly discourages anyone staying there. But beyond that, it's a dump.. more a place for drunken locals to gather than actual hikers. Keep hiking, there are better places ahead!
    Things have changed...for the better. The Shelter has been improved and all reports I heard in 2011 were positive.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

I live in the area and have heard only positive reports from summer 2011. The road to the shelter has been completely washed away by Irene so it's impossible to drive to it. Still accessible on foot following the cold river road area roadwalk (nobo)
    "Dreamt last night I was climbing mountains
    Way beyond love’s fierce hold..."

Stayed there last July and it was fine.

It was OK when I stayed there on my '07 LT thruhike. What I remember mostly is that the roof overhang is extensive and angled such that inside the shelter is very dark.

August 2013. Shelter has new roof. Gate to road is locked through Sept 15th. Nice campsites along river and around shelter. A really nice stop.

Cosmo

Bridge is gone, I stayed there March 2012, and had a bad encounter with a big group of snowmobiles... But the other times I have stayed there more recently, it's been fine. The Secret Shelter is a great option too...

Images

I spent a Saturday night in this shelter last July and found it to be a very nice place. It was pretty dark inside, but clean, and I had the whole shelter to myself. The only people I saw were some thru-hikers tenting nearby. A great night listening to the radio and the rain after a depressing day of hiking.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

Hello

Its been a long time since my hike, and my last post, but I have a question... Is the Governor Clement shelter the one with a concrete box spring about 75 yards out in front that is the water supply for the shelter?? I have forgotten which shelter that was but the water was awful. It was a run-down stone shelter though just beside a small rocky hill that was northbound (left side ).

Thanks

Wally

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    Hello

Its been a long time since my hike, and my last post, but I have a question... Is the Governor Clement shelter the one with a concrete box spring about 75 yards out in front that is the water supply for the shelter?? I have forgotten which shelter that was but the water was awful. It was a run-down stone shelter though just beside a small rocky hill that was northbound (left side ).

Thanks

Wally

Found this pic for ya.

Gov. Clement shelter is in a fairly flat area, a little south of Killington. It is one of two shelters made of stone, the other being Copper lodge near the top of Killington. The Clement shelter has a new wooden sleeping platform and the access roads have been gated, so the drunken parties by locals are less frequent now.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Darn, I need to make a donation again so I can edit - it's cooper lodge not copper.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Darn, I need to make a donation again so I can edit - it's cooper lodge not copper.
    Yes- Yes, you do... the worst part is your avatar is MIA!

About this shelter... I read in a TJ that the locals loved to hang out at this shelter. Seems they thought is was funny to mess around with the hikers. I'm guessing it used to have a gate across the front of it? Anyway, they closed the gate and locked the hikers inside the shelter. Good to hear that they gated the access roads to the shelter.

A former thru-hiker started a secret shelter not far away from this one. I would stay at the secret shelter, if I had the choice.

Journal Entries
    Images

Its hit or miss. Certainly nothing like the old Campbell Area down South years back. Where all that land got taken by that family, which created resentment, where signs got changed. Gunshots when off, off kinds of resentful kid stuff. Stayed a step ahead in that area first none hiker I meet introduced myself as D. Campbell from up North. Got feed instead of badgered. Forget if that was NC or Tenn. But that area was dangerous for awhile unless one didn't scare easy. And the name I gave was an outright lie.

Images

Thank you, HikerMom58

I guess that was it. Memories are fading now. I didn't stay there. The bunk area was broken down as I remember, partly collapsed. I must have got water somewhere nearby though.

Wally

Just checking on recent conditions. Am I good to go staying at this shelter this Fall? Any problems reported lately?

Images

No problems reported by hikers this year.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I stayed their last year. Things are better now, no road access during the hiking season, I tented. The Shelter is dark and gross. River is amazing - Privy was good as well. Head upstream from the shelter and their is a nice flat spot by the water. Near that is a deep hole - great for skinny dippin!!!! I would not stay their again if I had a choice.

There is indeed a secret shelter in a half mile radius of this shelter
    AT2015 GA-ME

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++