WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I just had another look at this .
    One point that I don't think was addressed is this :
    I have an Osprey Aether 70, which I really like, except for the hip belt. It is an isoform belt that was never molded

Why not take your pack in to a dealer that has one of those molding ovens and try that, it may work for you.
    (obviously not that practical if the nearest dealer is 100 miles away...)
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I just had another look at this .
    One point that I don't think was addressed is this :
    I have an Osprey Aether 70, which I really like, except for the hip belt. It is an isoform belt that was never molded

Why not take your pack in to a dealer that has one of those molding ovens and try that, it may work for you.
    (obviously not that practical if the nearest dealer is 100 miles away...)
    Franco
    Franco, thanks for that. The nearest dealer that I know of is REI (did not buy the pack from them) and for me that is a 6 hour drive. As you say, not practical.

I was in Atlanta before New Years and I was told that the hip belt should form to me after a few uses. Whether or not it has, it is still not as comfortable as I would expect. I would very much like to replace the hip belt, but apparently there are no other hip belts which fit this backpack (or so the rep at Osprey led me to believe).

I have an upcoming trip, and the weather will be cold, and my weight will be up. My packed weight is right now 22 lbs without water and 3 days of food. I imagine I will be over 30 lbs by the time I hit the trail. Just a lighter pack could make this close to 28 lbs, which I would be happier carrying, but that is still well over 10 lbs below where I was on a similar trek a year ago, so I guess I should not complain too much....

Buffalo,

I have an Aether 70 and didn't get the belt formed at first. Wore the pack a few times, and then wanted to see if the belt fitted would work. Somewhere I found instructions on how to do it in your home oven, and did that. It made a difference in feel, in a positive, but not giant way.

See if you can find something, as I didn't save the instructions. Basically, it was remove the hip belt, insulate the buckles from the heat, put belt in pre heated oven around 250 for some time, like ten minutes, then slap belt on fully loaded pack, and walk around for a few minutes. The heat and pack load form the belt.

Images

I just found this website:
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/CustomMolding/

What is the BioForm CM™ A/X Hiptbelt? I am not familiar with that. Does that have some different padding?

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I just found this website:
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/CustomMolding/

What is the BioForm CM™ A/X Hiptbelt? I am not familiar with that. Does that have some different padding?

I think it's those "custom molding" machines places like REI use for Osprey packs.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    I think it's those "custom molding" machines places like REI use for Osprey packs.
    What I meant was that I have the Isoform CM hipbelt like this:

Pictured here is the BioForm CM, which is something else. Is anyone familiar with this belt?

I am especially interested in a comparison of the two. The BioForm looks padded, but I can't tell.

Also if anyone has instructions to using this is a kitchen oven, I am interested.

Molding
    From Timothy Pfeister at Backcountry.com :
    The following is for informational purposes, and should not be attempted without the full understanding of the fact that you may damage your hip belt. That being said, some quick research on the properties of nylon followed by a quick prayer, and I molded my own belt by placing it on a cotton towel inside the oven for 10 minutes while monitoring the temp and keeping it between 175-200*F. Then as the osprey videos suggest, I wore the belt around until it cooled back down. It's now formed perfectly! (Oh, speaking from experience... make certain you put the hip belt on right side up, or you will be repeating the process a second time! haha)Why did I attempt this myself? Because the nearest dealer isnt worth the cost of fuel for something so simple. The oven is clearly little more than an EZ-Bake, so I felt it was worth a carefully monitored chance. I won.
    Franco
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/review/200042031/Mold-your-belt-at-home.html
    BTW, I have just adapted an Osprey hi belt to pull a sled (for a friend) and yes at some stage we had that upside down...

This video may also help.
    http://www.telemarktips.com/DrTelemark.html
    (Cooking with big Tim)
    With speed skating boots the final fitting is done with a hair dryer , so maybe you could try that too...
    (of course in boots the hot air is trapped inside)
    BTW, using the the Osprey oven, when you get the belt out of it is barely warm so obviously the temp is not very high at all.
    A mate that does that reckons it probably is around 140f.

Franco

Images

Thanks for the molding tips. I will try that.

I went on a 18 mile trek this past weekend at FDR State Park, GA. Pine Mountain Trail. Rugged terrain, excellent weather and good views. My total weight was a few oz under 30 lbs. My weight continues to falling as I replace gear and shave oz and pounds, but I am still looking at options for other packs.

I imagine that my pack choices will change as time goes before I buy, but I am still looking at these packs (in no particular order):

Gossaamer Gear Maripossa Plus
    Granite Gear Vapor Trail
    ULA Circuit

Any comments (good or bad) on these is welcome.

Note that the Vapor Trail (unless they redesigned) is not among those Granite Gear packs with swappable belt/shoulder harness. You might want one of the Ozone series if you need/want to be able to use a belt with more padding.

I'll throw in the Aarn Bodypack. The belt is not padded in the slightest, but once it's adjusted (this is the pack for people who are fanatical about having a pack fitted to them but not going all the way to McHale) it will ride differently than a traditional pack, but very, very well. Takes a lot of getting used to but the front pockets are multi use items, and very convenient when you tend to get in and out of the pack all the time. They have a full line of models and for camera buffs, camera gear specific front pockets.

Granite Gear Vapor Trail
    ULA Circuit

GG Mariposa Plus is a great pack! I sold mine due to some changes in my needs and an overabundance of packs (hmm, I still have six...) as it doesn't cooperate to my liking with larger bear canisters. (I'm going to need those.)

Have a Nimbus Ozone, not a Vapor Trail, as I want adjustibility and never have good luck with fixed pack frames. But Granite Gear makes pretty good gear.

ULA Circuit will be the next pack I get. When I have money. I tried on a few of them and liked what I saw - they are bear can compatible (I like to carry the can vertically, Mariposa Plus has a more rectangular shape and I disliked straining stitches) and looks like I can get a differently sized hip belt with the pack.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I imagine that my pack choices will change as time goes before I buy, but I am still looking at these packs (in no particular order):

Granite Gear Vapor Trail
    ULA Circuit

No experience with the GG pack. I owned a VT at one time, and it just didn't fit me right. I could never get it to sit comfortably on my back and hips, so I sold it. I'm a happy Circuit owner. I use two packs...the Circuit for warm weather and smaller loads, and a McHale for cold weather and larger loads (and if I'm carrying my bear can). The McHale fits me like a glove, but it's a bit large for warm weather hiking so I tried the Circuit to fill that void. Turns out the Circuit also fits me like a glove. Best fitting pack I have ever used other than the McHale. I have a 2009 model (I think...it's one that was manufactured when Brian Frankle still owned ULA), and I bought mine with the optional stay that I always use. As long as I keep my loads below about 32 lbs I have no discomfort. One thing I really like about the Circuit is the hipbelt on it rocks. It has 2 separate straps for tightening it down, and this seems to dial in a much better fit than a single strap...at least for me.

I am having a quandry surrounding my current backpack, and may be interested in replacing it. I have an Osprey Aether 70, which I really like, except for the hip belt. It is an isoform belt that was never molded. I do not find this belt comfortable, and in fact, my right leg goes a little numb when I am packed. I mainly weekend hike, and I have gotten my load down from 40ish to just under 30 (fully loaded, with 2.5 l water, fuel and food), and I now have a significant amount of unused space in my pack.

I am considering going to an under 3lb pack (my Aether 70 weights in at just over 5lb). I do really like the Ospreys, but would consider something else. Top of my list is the Exos 58.

What other packs should I be considering for a 25-30 lb load? I am very weight conscious, but I do like some comforts and am not looking to go much below a 25 lb pack weight.

Any and all advice is welcome.
    I recommend the Golite Pinnacle. It weighs under 2lbs and has held over 30lbs for me. 72L pack that holds all my gear and sometimes other hikers gear. The 2010 model has a better padded belt system. 2 mesh side pockets, zipped pockets on the hip belts and a nice size large pocket in the back. I've been using Pinnacles for 3 years and they are very very comfortable and durable.

You can find them on eBay and the Gear Swap forum on Backpackinglight.com for around and even under $100.

Have Fun
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

You might also look at ULA's Epic pack. If the pack size is too big or too small, you can change out the dry bag for something bigger or smaller. Plus, you can change out the hip belt if and when the one you have becomes too big. I've only used the Epic on one four day trip but was very happy with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++