WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Backpack dilemma

I am having a quandry surrounding my current backpack, and may be interested in replacing it. I have an Osprey Aether 70, which I really like, except for the hip belt. It is an isoform belt that was never molded. I do not find this belt comfortable, and in fact, my right leg goes a little numb when I am packed. I mainly weekend hike, and I have gotten my load down from 40ish to just under 30 (fully loaded, with 2.5 l water, fuel and food), and I now have a significant amount of unused space in my pack.

I am considering going to an under 3lb pack (my Aether 70 weights in at just over 5lb). I do really like the Ospreys, but would consider something else. Top of my list is the Exos 58.

What other packs should I be considering for a 25-30 lb load? I am very weight conscious, but I do like some comforts and am not looking to go much below a 25 lb pack weight.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Images

Granite Gear Vapor Trail for loads up to 30 pounds.

I've been using the Osprey Talon 44 for weekends. Fits nice, has plenty of room (6 pack of beer included), and is more comfortable than the Aether (I had the Aether 60, but wasn't crazy about the belt too, to stiff). BTW, you supposedly don't need to have the Aether belt formed, it should do it on it's own after a few wears, at least that's what I was told by a salesperson.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Granite Gear Vapor Trail for loads up to 30 pounds.
    That would be a good choice or...http://ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Gossamer Gear pack with shaped stays, Six Moon Designs with Stays and/or Foam pad for suspension, Granite Gear Vapor Trail, ULA. I wrote up some brief notes about light weight packs options you might find helpful.

--Mark

opps link didn't work. Should have been http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/...ack.html#light

i love my circuit in that weight range. good light weight pack with a wonderfully functional suspension.

Hike smarter, not harder.

ULA Circuit or Catalyst. I sold my Exos 58 to fund my Catalyst. If you think the hip belt you have now is bad, wait until you try the Exos. I shouldn't say that, because it apparently fits a lot of (skinny) people. Sure didn't work for me, but it's a well thought out pack.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Just as a note Gossamer packs are on sale right now.

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks.html

Images

I use a ULA Circuit I find the smaller pack makes me carry less there is a method to my madness.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    ULA Circuit or Catalyst. I sold my Exos 58 to fund my Catalyst. If you think the hip belt you have now is bad, wait until you try the Exos. I shouldn't say that, because it apparently fits a lot of (skinny) people. Sure didn't work for me, but it's a well thought out pack.
    No need to apologize. I am looking for good informed information. I am right now 6'1", 195 lbs with 36" waist and a big of a bulge. I am working to get that to about 34-35" and 180 lbs. It's a catch 22. I want to do more backpacking to get to this size/wt, and I want to get to this size/wt so backpacking can be better for me.

I have tried on the Exos while at an REI store earlier in the Fall (no REI where I live), and with 25 lbs, it felt better than the Aether (in the hip belt), but not as comfortable on the shoulders. But the 2.5 lbs less of pack was nice and noticable.

So far I have votes for the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and ULA Circuit. And my vote for the Exos. Any other suggestions?

Osprey's Atmos 50 and Atmos 65 are among the most popular (and most seen) packs on the A.T. in recent years and they don't weigh much over 3 pounds. Would also look at Granite Gear. Lots of problems this year with ULA's (perhaps due to ownership/manufacturing changes). Osprey and Granite Gear have been for many years the most popular and most reliable backpacks on the A.T. and I don't think this is an accident.

Images

granite gear vapor trail. i liked the 1st one i bought so much i recently purchased another one. never had an issue with this pack.....

the atmos 50, maybe a little heavier (3lb. 6oz.) than what your looking for, but carries 25lbs very nicely, and is very comfortable, it's what i have and i really like it, hard to beat their guarantee too.......

boot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    the atmos 50, maybe a little heavier (3lb. 6oz.) than what your looking for, but carries 25lbs very nicely, and is very comfortable, it's what i have and i really like it, hard to beat their guarantee too.......

boot
    I also have an Osprey Stratos 24 for a day pack. I really like the quality of the Osprey products, which led me to lean toward the Exos for the weight.

Images

Looking more closely at ULA packs, I guess I would be more interested in the Ohm. Can I fish for any comments on this pack?

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs....category_id=11

I have been looking for a lighter pack as well. The SMD Starlite is frameless but you can buy it with stays. All the reviews I have found have been good about this pack
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

I recommend the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. Lightweight, carries a lot and super durable.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have a Catalyst that I use for trips over 2 nights and a Six Moon Designs Swift pack for shorter trips. Both are excellent packs.

Baron
    Images

I second(thirded?) the Catalyst. I felt I was rolling the dice a bit in ordering it online without trying it on, but the sizing was nailed and I really enjoy it. I find myself using it (nearly) fully loaded for day hikes as well as weekenders, as I like the giant mesh pockets(my Marmot Aspen 35 doesn't have pockets).
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++