WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Looking to purchase AT hostel

I would like to purchase an exisiting AT hostel - or buy / convert an existing building near the trail and turn it into one. I am most interested in Georgia / NC - but I am interested in any and all prospects. If anyone knows of anything ... or of any hostel owners interested in selling - please let me know! I hiked the whole trail in 2003 - and sectioned many times before and since - and would like to give back! THANKS!

Journal Entries
    Images

Port Clinton PA
    I don't know

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

two come to mind,
    hikers paradise in gorham nh, and the roadhouse in stratton me. both are for sale

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Miss Janet was trying to get some support and investors for a hostel/outdoor center in Erwin a couple years ago.

Tennessee and the northern NC section has a hostel at or near almost every road crossing. I can only really see maybe looking around Sam's Gap & Mars Hill/Wolf Laurel area.

Georgia - maybe around Helen since Haven already runs the inn on the Hiawassee side.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Yeah, you'd about have to buy an existing on in GA/TN/NC because they're already everywhere....with hotel rooms as backups in a lot of places... (Hiawassee, Franklin, Erwin, Hot Springs, etc.)

El Sordo
    Images

the house by the cemetery at Sams Gap sits on 1.25 acres of land. the old woman who owns it wants to lease it out rather then sell but she might consider an offer if you make it sweet enough. The house is only suitable for demolition, but it has a paved driveway up to it and there are a couple of level spots suitable for building or mobile homes or prefabs.

she's receiving some small income from leasing a post for a pager and seems convinced that a cell phone company will lease the land and allow her to keep the property. good luck with that one.

I almost bought the old Cloud Nine hostel here in Hiawassee, but backed away at the last minute. I don't know if it's still bank owned or if someone finally bought it, but that's also a possibility.
    Dyslexics Untie!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    the house by the cemetery at Sams Gap sits on 1.25 acres of land. the old woman who owns it wants to lease it out rather then sell but she might consider an offer if you make it sweet enough. The house is only suitable for demolition, but it has a paved driveway up to it and there are a couple of level spots suitable for building or mobile homes or prefabs.

she's receiving some small income from leasing a post for a pager and seems convinced that a cell phone company will lease the land and allow her to keep the property. good luck with that one.

I almost bought the old Cloud Nine hostel here in Hiawassee, but backed away at the last minute. I don't know if it's still bank owned or if someone finally bought it, but that's also a possibility.

Do you (anyone?) think a hostel between Erwin and Hot Springs would be viable?

I don't konw dip about running a hostel, but my business sense tells me that a serious revenue generator would be the shuttle service ran out of the hostel - I can't imagine running a hostel without selling shuttles too..

Point being, both Erwin and Hot Springs have multiple shuttler options which would leave a hostel at Sam's Gap kind of hanging.

The best deal around would be to make Uncle Johnny an offer he couldn't refuse. That place is, or could be, a gold mine.

Images

how about a nice hostel in Harpers Ferry? I know property is expensive and there is already the Town Inn (which sleeps 6), but with the Hilltop House closed, a larger place in town would be great!

Carratunk, Maine
    1 mile from the AT, for sale
    Search here for "Ferryman" to get tele.#
    WALK ON

El Sordo
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

I don't konw dip about running a hostel, but my business sense tells me that a serious revenue generator would be the shuttle service ran out of the hostel - I can't imagine running a hostel without selling shuttles too..

Point being, both Erwin and Hot Springs have multiple shuttler options which would leave a hostel at Sam's Gap kind of hanging.

The best deal around would be to make Uncle Johnny an offer he couldn't refuse. That place is, or could be, a gold mine.

I agree about UJs location. and he may very well be making a mint out of the operation. As for Sams Gap, it's also well located and being central to both Erwin and Hot Springs might be a very nice place to base a shuttle out of. I'd have bought it if the owner had been inclined to sell. When I last spoke to her I was still working and wasn't willing to tie up much money on a site that wouldn't be operational for several years. If the originator of this thread is serious about getting into the hostel business, that's one option among many.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Default Thanks!

I'm quite serious - and thanks ALL! I'll be looking into all of the options! (Keep any other suggestions coming please!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    I'm quite serious - and thanks ALL! I'll be looking into all of the options! (Keep any other suggestions coming please!)

There must be a special place in heaven for hostel owners. It sure doesn't seem like anyone gets rich running them, so it must be just the enjoyment of serving others. Good luck to you if you are able to find one to buy.

Images

There was a rumor on this board several weeks ago that Shaws in Monson Maine was for sale.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

Hemlock Hollow below Viking/Camp Creek Mountain seems to be getting fairly popular as of late. I heard of some hikers who stayed there say its got great food and hospitality. That is the only hostel in between Hot Springs and Erwin.

Sams Gap/Wolf Laurel/Mars Hill area seems to be a prime location. Hikers are coming off a long stretch of trail from Hot Springs. Major interstate access with ski resort and several colleges nearby. So you could technically cater to hikers and skiers. Its about midway from Erwin and Asheville. So lots of opportunity to do shuttles to multiple AT trailheads, Asheville airport & Greyhound, and BRP. Easy drive to re-supply in Erwin and Mars Hill/Marhsall.

It would definitely help with the crowded situations at Johnnys and the Erwin hotels.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    There was a rumor on this board several weeks ago that Shaws in Monson Maine was for sale.
    I was just going to say the same thing - I 'think' it's been for sale for quite some time due to health issues (not for the lack of business).

I hear Maine is beautiful in January!
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Someone asked me recently where on the Trail would be a good place for a new hostel, i.e. which areas are presently underserved totally or could maybe use a new place.

Off the top of my head, I thought of a couple of places:

*Near Bland, Virginia, either just North or South of there

*Near Catawba VA

*near Glasgow/Big Island/Lexington VA

*Between Manchester Center VT and Hanover NH

Oh, and this one completely skipped my mind. Elmer's is wonderful, but it may not be around forever, and who knows what might happen a few years down the line. I think there's room for a good hiker facility in Hot Springs NC, one of the great hiker towns on the Trail. And obviously, there's room at present in Erwin for something new, tho if Miss Janet ever opens her new place, it'll certainly put a damper on everyone else's business, for reasons that are easy to see.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I was just going to say the same thing - I 'think' it's been for sale for quite some time due to health issues (not for the lack of business).

I hear Maine is beautiful in January!
    Yes it is! But all the turtles are frozen in the snow.

NJ, NY, MA, CT are in need of Hostels....Bottom line is property is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    It sure doesn't seem like anyone gets rich running them, so it must be just the enjoyment of serving others.
    Yeah, the "enjoyment" of serving a bunch of demanding, stinking hikers that would rather screw you, than pay you a fair fee, must be overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, the "enjoyment" of serving a bunch of demanding, stinking hikers that would rather screw you, than pay you a fair fee, must be overwhelming.
    WALK ON

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++