WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trekking Poles - Yes or No ?

I see trekking poles seem to be in vogue. Did you find trekking poles worth carrying, or were they one of the things you mailed home after awhile ?

I tried some out on a hike or two, and my impression was they were great for stream crossings, and areas with lots of rock that might otherwise trip you up occaisionally - but they didn't seem to make walking any easier on most of the trail and just became irritating.

So, are they worth carrying for a thru-hike ? The collapsible ones are significantly heavier than the short tent poles needed for tarptents...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG10 View Post
    .... but they didn't seem to make walking any easier on most of the trail and just became irritating.
    You answered your own question. If you don't find them useful don't take them. You can always change your mind once you start. Start without them and adjust as you see fit.

Most folks find them useful, but "most" is not 100%.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

i don't think poles are useful at all

Images

At my age they did make a big difference, my knees don't hurt like they used to. They also saved me from quite a few falls, and yes they help crossing streams as well as going up really steep grades and ease the pounding on long down-hill parts. In the beginning my arms did ache a bit but as my upper body adapted all was ok.
    Simple is good.

I find them exceedingly useful. I use them to get my upper body very involved in climbs and brace myself on descents.

But if you've used them twice now and don't see a benefit then they're probably not for you. There's certainly a technique to them and it takes a bit of practice but if you don't see the benefit then don't get them.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

John,

After checking with a few of my friends who've used them, I borrowed a pair for a 43 mile backpack on Isle Royale last June. I loved them, so I bought a pair of my own. I just finished a NOBO section hike of the Georgia A.T., coming off the trail on Dec. 2. I don't think I could've finished the hike in good physical shape without them. I'm 57, with good knees, but was still sore after descending Blood Mt., for example. The trail was constantly wet, and the poles helped me navigate slippery, rocky sections without falling. They work for me!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Poles saved my hike by saving my knees and keeping me from numerous falls. I carry the ultralight Leki ones.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Different folks different strokes. I don't find them useful for me but some do. I just despise tents that are designed to use trekking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I just despise tents that are designed to use trekking poles.
    Despise????
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Try them a few more times. They definitely help my knees and let me increase my speed on the ups and downs. They also saved me from multiple falls, especially in the snow.

I met several people this year who didn't start with poles, but had bought some by the time they reached Damascus.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Images

I just got new leki poles last night and had to go a 3 mile hike in 5-6 inches of snow. Loved them on the uphills especially. but had to problems
    1. carpal tunnel in left hand started making my hand go numb after about 2 miles.
    2. one of the wrist straps is very very hard to adjust it just doesn't pull through as easy as the other one.

Overall i love them especially on the climbs so i think the are worth carrying, but may just carry them on the flats to avoid the carpal tunnel thing.

doc Mike

Images

I use them when speed hiking/fastpacking but not when I'm doing low mileage days.

i find my trekking poles almost invaluable, i have 2 bad ankles from way too many and sports injuries and my knees aren't exactly in great shape either, without the trekking poles i would have numerous sprained ankles and they take alot of pressure of my knees on downhill sections witch reduces the discomfort in my knees greatly

boot

Images

i didn't use'em during my thru hike...now that i have a pair, i love'em and wouldn't imagine doing a thru without them...they are totally unnecessary for me, but i find that i move faster (they help me power up mountains and give me more control going down hill) when i have them...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Despise????
    Well I like the designs sometimes but I don't want a big pole in the middle of my shelter like the shangri la 2 I had, and the 3 I had. I use a nice MSR one man tube shelter right now.

I didn't start my thru with poles but I sure ended with them. Aside from rocks and stream crossings they're handy for things like moving branches and critters off the trail, retrieving dropped items that have rolled off the trail and a little downhill, getting down a bearbag, and some tents use them instead of tent poles, saving weight.

Another vote here for trekking poles. 1000% more enjoyable at the end of the day for me. No pain at all on my knees (might also have something to do with the new boots).

"In vogue" is the right word(s).
    Not necessary but many do it for different reasons. (i'm not one of them though)
    KISS
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    I just got new leki poles last night and had to go a 3 mile hike in 5-6 inches of snow. Loved them on the uphills especially. but had to problems
    1. carpal tunnel in left hand started making my hand go numb after about 2 miles.
    2. one of the wrist straps is very very hard to adjust it just doesn't pull through as easy as the other one.

Overall i love them especially on the climbs so i think the are worth carrying, but may just carry them on the flats to avoid the carpal tunnel thing.

doc Mike
    If you get a chance, check out a pair of Pacer Poles. Instead of using the straps for leverage on your wrist, your hand is cradled in the grip which makes it much easier on the wrist.

They're not terribly common, but they're out there and worth looking into.

If your a youngster, you can get away without them. For us oldsters with lots of miles on our knees, they are a Godsend.

The only time I find them a pain and at times down right dangerous is going down steep, rocky trails here in NH and Maine. I toss the poles down the hill and grab onto trees and roots instead. That allows me to swing around and dance down the trail better.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++