WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wild Goats in Virginia

In 2000 there were 3 goats living on a ridge just north of Sarvers Cabin in Virginia. I have heard that they are no longer there, but they were apparently still there for at least a year or two after my hike.

Anyone have any interesting stories about encountering these goats? Does anyone know what happened to them?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I've got photos of those goats when I was thru there that year. They licked my thighs and I liked it.

Lone Wolf, that is what we call TMI

I searched our picture gallery and we only have one shot. That's surprising knowing how many hikers that have came across these guys.

Here's the picture.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/all/page/1

Images

They were not there in late April 03', thought I do think they were there in 02' cuz I think I remember reading it in people's journals and expecting to see them
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

They were not there this summer either. I enjoyed seeing them the two previous times.

There was a goat at the shelter just south of Rockfish Gap when I hiked through there in June of 2003.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Bet they tasted good roasted on a spit over a open fire.

I saw them last year.

I have lots of pictures of them from 2000. There was a very typical neubian and a french alpine and one that may have been mixed breed. Two were pure breads and must have escaped or been turned loose. I have a great picture in my slide show of the neubian licking my leg. These goats were very tame. On the cliffs above Perisberg there was a real wild mixed breed yellow goat. Both Rhoddy Bill and I took pictures of it. Unlike the Sarvers goats that were female I think this goat was a male. One of the Sarvers goats had a full udder which makes me believe she either had a young one or may have recently lost one. I have raised and milked goats and tried to milk her but while she licked my legs she wouldn't let me touch her udder which is a sign of a goat saving milk for her young. I hope they survived, they were wonderful and they would nevr make it in my native Maine between the cougers, coyotes, bears and fierce winters.

Images

Am I imagining things or does the picture of the sarver cabin area goat on the cover of the current ATN look a lot like LW? He did, afterall, admit becoming intimate with them!

blue blazin' hiker trash

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut
    Am I imagining things or does the picture of the sarver cabin area goat on the cover of the current ATN look a lot like LW? He did, afterall, admit becoming intimate with them!
    In fact, I did spot a goat-sized motorcycle jacket in the woods near that goat...so hey, I guess it's possible! Plus it did try to lick my legs!
    (I was the one who took that picture. BTW it was shot in 2001, so I don't know if those goats are still there).
    -java
    www.visualalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by java
    (I was the one who took that picture. BTW it was shot in 2001, so I don't know if those goats are still there).
    -java
    www.visualalex.com
    Nice shot Java! Brings back some nice memories.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

++ New Posts ++