WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default A Kindle on the trail?

Has anyone tried this? My wife got one for Christmas and I love it. I like to take a book with me when I backpack and I thought this would be perfect. About 6 ounces and you can carry 1000's of books with you (or you can just download new books when you're on the trail). The battery is supposed to last a month if you keep the wi-fi off. I'm not much on electronic devices on the trail, but along with my watch this might be a second one I take when I finally do a thru. I just would make sure I didn't upload a newspaper because one reason to get on the trail for me is to get away from the news.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Blessed is the life that finds joy in the journey! ashleigh22's Avatar

Images

I've taken mine on a few multi-day hikes, and am taking again this Fri-Sun on the AT in MD. There are water-proof cases for these, if that's a concern of yours.

Nothing I enjoy more than to bundle up and read in peace and quiet.

I have both the Kindle reader and the Nook reader downloaded on my BlackBerry. I replace the standard battery with an extended life battery and always have the antenna off unless I'm using the phone/e-mails. It also does MP3s. Weighs a lot less than a Kindle or Nook, especially if you are going to carry a cell phone anyway.

Images

I take my psp all the time.

Images

I've taken my Kndle on two week long section hikes and love having it. The battery has lasted me a month with the wi-fi off and that's a month with a lot of reading so I definitely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    I have both the Kindle reader and the Nook reader downloaded on my BlackBerry.
    Glad that works for you but I read waaay too much to ever want to read a book on my blackberry.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Glad that works for you but I read waaay too much to ever want to read a book on my blackberry.
    I agree. The Blackberry is waaaay too tiny. However, I will be taking my iPod Touch with me this weekend on a little workup hike. I figure it's a little bigger screen plus it gives me music as well. Of course the BB does too, so I guess I'm just gaining a larger screen w/o risking my new Kindle.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I've had an AZTAK ereader for the last two years. They are no longer available because the competition lowered prices drastically (because Kindle and Nook subsidize sale price and lock you into their purchased books. Same as cheap cell phones with two year contract)

Mine doesn't have wireless, but no problem for me, since you can load more than enough books when staying in a Hostel (Most of which have a "house computer available)

It also plays MP3s, although I've not used that feature.

+1 on battery life. Although you need a head lamp to read at night. An illuminated screen would drastically reduce battery life.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I've had an AZTAK ereader for the last two years. They are no longer available because the competition lowered prices drastically (because Kindle and Nook subsidize sale price and lock you into their purchased books. Same as cheap cell phones with two year contract)
    How, exactly, do they do that? I have more books on my Kindle that weren't bought through Amazon than those that were. I even have the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion on it. That didn't come from Amazon. So I don't see how you're "locked in" to their books.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

Images

I transferred books on CD to my IPod. I listened to them at night in my tent and occasionally while walking. I charged it in town and the charger fit in my camera case. That was my only luxury.
    I always thought I'd be too tired at the end of the day to read and didn't want to carry a book.
    Everyone's different.

Kindle ... lock you into their purchased books. Same as cheap cell phones with two year contract
    No. Kindle reads books from a variety of sources, including free books from Amazon and elsewhere and there is no contract.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I read the following: one way is the wireless link can only connect to Amazon. It is true Amazon has some free books. I guess you can load anything from you main computer (like I do with my E-Book.)

Another way is by not supporting all the formats. I have no details on what is included in their software.

I'm not trying to dis the Kindle, just make people aware of possible limitations.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Regarding waterproofing the kindle... The Kindle 3 fits into a quart sized zip-loc. You could slip something like a thin piece of plastic or corrugated cardboard to protect the screen. I also wrap it in my extra clothing. At 8 ounces and a month long battery life, it's perfect for backpacking.

I read the following: one way is the wireless link can only connect to Amazon. It is true Amazon has some free books. I guess you can load anything from you main computer (like I do with my E-Book.)

Another way is by not supporting all the formats. I have no details on what is included in their software.

I'm not trying to dis the Kindle, just make people aware of possible limitations.
    The limitations are actually quite small. I have Calibre downloaded on my computer and it can crunch PDFs, Epubs, etc. and convert them into mobi which the Kindle reads. It's nothing worse than what people experience with iTunes and their iPods.

I broke my Kindle's screen on a hike recently. I'm getting a better case for it and hoping that takes care of the issue. I believe I more or less did a push up off of it when it was on the floor of my tent but it could have cracked in my pack I'm not entirely sure. Either way I called up Amazon and told them it was cracked and they sent another one overnight. I didn't mention hiking but I told them I think I cracked it at some point but I wasn't sure. Awesome customer service there.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sony eBook Reader.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    How, exactly, do they do that? I have more books on my Kindle that weren't bought through Amazon than those that were. I even have the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion on it. That didn't come from Amazon. So I don't see how you're "locked in" to their books.

People assume that "marginally more difficult to acquire=locked in".

Not that this is something I would ever advocate, but I have several PDFs of books/material loaded onto my Kindle, in addition to stuff I bought straight from Amazon. The Kindle is an awesome tool.

While I *have* used the Kindle application on my phone before, the Kindle itself is a superior reading device, much longer battery...and of course free 3G data.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

I didn't bring mine last year and definitely regretted it. Definitely coming with me this year.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    Not that this is something I would ever advocate, but I have several PDFs of books/material loaded onto my Kindle
    Why don't you advocate this?
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

The Kindle, especially the smaller one, should be a joy on the trail. My Lady just got one and I can see the potential. As for myself, I've been into Audible Books and especially dramatized short stories from old radio shows played on my Touch (and other mp3 players). The radio shows and much more are provided by free podcasts, thru iTunes and elsewhere.

It may work for you guys in the civilized East but there's no way we'll be downloading books 'on the trail' out here...I'd be really surprised if the 3G service reached any of our trails... But it'd be a nice, welcome surprise.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++