WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can a Corgi handle the AT?

So ive decided that after reading and researching that getting a corgi would be a good match for me. Now i have been planning a long AT hike for the next few years and wanted to know if anyone here has taken their corgi on any extended/multi-day hikes and if so how do they handle it. I realize that the dog is going to need as much training as i am for the trail but i wanted to make sure the breed could handle something like this.

Images

I wouldn't recommend long distance hiking with a Corgi. They are a working breed, so they have the stamina for it but their short legs can be problematic on the trail.

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You will walk 5 million steps, the poor dog will do about 100 million.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

You'll probably both have more fun if the corgi stays home
    Have a great whatever you decide!
    ad astra per aspera

Images

No. I've had to carry ours back after walking with him too far out on the greenway.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Well, this will surprise some people because there seems to be a feeling out there that I don't much like dogs and think they don't belong on the Trail.

Which is untrue.

I've met plenty of good Trail dogs that were Corgi sized or smaller, i.e. beagles, mixes, Jack Russels, etc.

What matters most is that your dog is well trained ahead of time (i.e. will stay close, will respond to voice commands immediately, etc.) and that you pay close attention to your dog all the time, both in terms of its health and well-being, and how it is interacting with others on the Trail.

At the end of the day, size or breed doesn't really matter that much. If your dog is a good Trail dog, has some hiking experience ahead of time, and has a thoughtful attentive owner, you'll do fine.

this cannot be a serious question..

Images

No way, not fair to your canine.

I had read a few sites where people's corgis have climbed 14ers with them. Just curious to see what other peoples thoughts on it would be. Judging from the reaction it would probably be better to wait on getting the dog until i get back.

show us a pic .
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    show us a pic .
    Their legs are about 4 inches long, no way!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

My Corgi is one stuborn SOB. I wouldn't count him out, but he would need plenty of conditioning.
    I hike some of the rocks around Phoenix with him and he does OK. However, I'm not a fan of asking a dog to take on that challenge. I think he'd do it, but he'd be much happier kicking it next to the pool.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I own a fantastic Pembroke Welsh Corgi that I hike with all the time.

I'd NEVER try to thru-hike with her.

She's in very good condition for a corgi, but she simply can't do the kind of miles required in a day. Basically, a corgi can handle about five or six miles maximum in a day without over-stressing their muscles. Remember, you're talking about a 35-40lb dog with (though very strong and muscular) 4-5" long legs. They are simply not built for long distances, but rather for toughness and low-to-the-ground maneuverability. Watching my girl herd something (sheep are her favorite) is a sight to behold, since she can cut and nip their the heels at a speed you'd never think so stout a dog could manage. But I've also had to carry her the last mile or so the few times I dared to take her out on a hike longer than six miles, even with rest breaks, and it takes her hours to recover from even a five miler.

Basically, unless you're willing to limit your hiking days to very short miles (no more than about 6-8 broken up into shorter hikes with a very long break between) then you and your dog will be better off leaving her home.

BTW, here's a picture of my Phoebe.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    I own a fantastic Pembroke Welsh Corgi that I hike with all the time.

I'd NEVER try to thru-hike with her.

She's in very good condition for a corgi, but she simply can't do the kind of miles required in a day. Basically, a corgi can handle about five or six miles maximum in a day without over-stressing their muscles. Remember, you're talking about a 35-40lb dog with (though very strong and muscular) 4-5" long legs. They are simply not built for long distances, but rather for toughness and low-to-the-ground maneuverability. Watching my girl herd something (sheep are her favorite) is a sight to behold, since she can cut and nip their the heels at a speed you'd never think so stout a dog could manage. But I've also had to carry her the last mile or so the few times I dared to take her out on a hike longer than six miles, even with rest breaks, and it takes her hours to recover from even a five miler.

Basically, unless you're willing to limit your hiking days to very short miles (no more than about 6-8 broken up into shorter hikes with a very long break between) then you and your dog will be better off leaving her home.

BTW, here's a picture of my Phoebe.
    Beautiful animal!!!!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Hey Green - you are so lucky to bet getting a Corgi!

As you can see Kevin likes to get his tummy scratched...

get presents...

lounge around...

and play in the snow...

but he's not much into stream crossings.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    but he's not much into stream crossings.

I don't know, seems to me he has the technique mastered.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Super cute photos of those dogs! Yeah i guess a lot of the trips in the mountains would be much shorter than the days hiking on the AT. I haddn't thought about the distance, but thanks for all the input. This will be the first dog that i get for myself and looking forward to another addition to my family.

Images

He or she'd sure have to make a whole lot of steps!

Green,

If you decide to hike with a corgi, get a female. A male corgi doesn't have the clearance necessary to deal with all the rocks and roots.

Ouch! Ouch!
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwanger View Post
    He or she'd sure have to make a whole lot of steps!
    Never underestimate the power of a corgi! It's the Queen's dog too. They were bred to heard cows in Wales. So cold, wet, rugged, terrain is in their blood. Mine's an old man. But a young pup I think would do well. One of the great things about herding dogs is their instinct not to run away from you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++