WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    About 60-65% of the population are drinkers. Probably not much different for hikers. So the answer to the question, "Why do hikers drink?" is the same answer to "Why do people drink?".
    I don't know about the percentage part, but I would agree with this. If you are a drinker at home, then you are most likely going to be a drinker on the trail. If you abstain from drinking at home, or rarely drink, then chances are you will probably do the same out on the trail. The exception may be if you are around other hiker's who decide to have a party and you decide to party also, or you decide to head into town to a bar or a restaurant where everyone else is drinking and you join them. The people who would be considered steady/heavy drinker's are going to continue drinking regardless of their location as long as they are able to locate and obtain it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I have only run into a few well-liquored hikers on trail, but most were in town.
    I ran into this guy at Maine Junction. He had spent his afternoon drinking at the Inn at Long Trail. He was obviously drunk, but pleasant to be around and in a pretty good mood. He was hiking back to the shelter and I moved on. I ran into him a few days later, and talked to him for a while. About twenty minutes into the conversation he said, "why do you look so familiar, have we met?" I almost fell over laughing.

Drunk or sober, he was a pretty nice guy.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I had a drink and realized I liked it, so I kept doing it.

I went for a hike and realized I liked it, so I kept doing it.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." - Tom waits
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Default Why do Hikers Drink?

Because they are thristy.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Good question... I have never been inclined to consume alcohol either but I do have friends who do..... I would say that alcohol, hikers, and the trail have provided for some interesting youtube vids though.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMDTOPlpdKY
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I had a beer today (along with burger) after 13 miles of skiing. It was good.

Of course this thread is about hiking, so never mind.

Thank you.

That is all.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    "compelled to use alcohol"

"need that while hiking"

"wanting to blur the memories with alcohol"

"I'm not here to criticize anybody's lifestyle or choices", really?

Alcohol is a drug and like other drugs [weed, nicotine, caffeine] can be abused or it can be enjoyed in moderation.

It sounds like you think any consumption on alcohol is an addiction.

Not true.

It sounds like you think any consumption on alcohol makes that person's hike less fulfilling than yours was.

Again, not true.

I have had many great hikes that involved alcohol.

All I ask is that you hike out your empties.
    Yep, feels suspiciously like fishing...... (raises eyebrow)

And amen, hike out them empties and don't shout at the top of your lungs when we're all sleeping, and it's all good.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    I can't imagine wanting to blur the memories with alcohol.
    I agree. Never been drunk on the trail but have had a few beer & sips.
    Last edited by Egads; 01-08-2011 at 23:02.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for monks.
    I like you

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I drink occasionally when I come into town b/c my taste buds want something other than Gatorade, gookinaid, ice tea, koolaid, crystal light and others.

I think a better question would have been why do people drink alcohol while hiking rather then just in town (and I don't mean in camp at night either). Considering that studies have shown that even being a little dehydrated has up to a 20% decrease in your athletic performance and beer's negative side effect in leaving your hydration along the side of the trail, I don't get the comments that they drink for hydration. So I never really understood the appeal of leaving out beer in trail magic coolers, let alone having a few before putting more miles in.

The only issue with heavy drinking in town is, you may find yourself spending too much money too fast or taking too much time in each town as you move north which can lead to some serious problems in finishing a long trail. Well, having a hangover leaving town also might impact your hiking for part of the day. But, as someone who is only an occasional drinker, I saved my beer money for exceptional brew like at some of the brew pubs along the way. On the PCT, Oregon in particular had some really fine brew.

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

Why do hikers drink?

Well clearly you've never had a good IPA.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Now the science behind alcohol and exercise - 2 day old article:

http://consumerist.com/2011/01/drink...cise-more.html

OK, this may be more about why drinkers hike than why hikers drink.

-

Because they are thirsty
    I 2'nd this ( with spelling change )

Journal Entries

Alcohol has been part of the human condition since the dawn of civilization. Some suspect it may have spurred the growth of civilization. Once alcohol was discovered, humans needed a ready supply of ingredients and containers. Hence farming and manufacture of clay pots.

Medical research shows that people who drink wine daily, or a beer or two daily, live significantly longer and have healthier lives than abstainers.

My grandfather loved to quote scripture. My folks were strict teetolalers. Grampie had a different view. He told us kids that the Bible says, "a little wine for thy stomach's sake."

I used to drink two beers daily on the return leg of my daily 100 mile commute to work. We commuters used to compare driving times. Mine was a 2-beer commute.

Now I drink mostly red wine for it's medicinal and psychological benefits. On the trail I substitute 100 proof bourbon. Same benefit. Less water to carry.
    Last edited by weary; 01-10-2011 at 02:10.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Medical research shows that people who drink wine daily, or a beer or two daily, live significantly longer and have healthier lives than abstainers.

I have heard this is true also. Unfortunately, many do not stop at 1 or 2. And when and if they eventually begin to consume many drinks per day, that so called "health benefit" disappears quickly, and then the effects from drinking become deleterious and detrimental to ones health and wellness

Habitual Hiker
    Journal Entries

I spent 6 long years drinking a fifth of evan williams a day and that was just at the height of my alcohol use. I some how got out of the bottle and stayed dry for a long time. Some how or another I am able to drink a beer now and then and even have different fifths of various varieties in my liqour cabinet. I know many people can not do this and I don't even know hiw I am able except for the love of my young daughter I couldn't imagine her having a drunk for a dad. I do like to have a beer at the end of a long days hike not every day cuz I don't want to carry the weight. But if the chance comes along I will def partake but for some reason never over induldg. While I know this isn't an answer to the question I just wanted to share that. Simply put hikers have a beverage after a hike to relax and since it comes from natue I think they are still staying atuned with there suroundings!
    Still Going.... Cancer survivor of 13 years!!!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    *Note: I'm not here to criticize anybody's lifestyle or choices*

I'm just interested. Personally, I've never been compelled to use alcohol, but I have many friends (some underaged) who drink regularly. I can understand its use as a way to relax after a stressful day at work, but why would anyone need that while hiking? Aren't we out there for the natural enjoyment?

I spent six months hiking and wouldn't trade a single day for anything. I took 1500+ photos and filled a 100 page journal but still wish that I had more ways to remember my experience. I can't imagine wanting to blur the memories with alcohol.
    Hikers are not a special breed of people. they are just a people from a slice of general society with all their habits......

"Work sucks! I'm going to the mountains."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    I have heard this is true also. Unfortunately, many do not stop at 1 or 2. And when and if they eventually begin to consume many drinks per day, that so called "health benefit" disappears quickly, and then the effects from drinking become deleterious and detrimental to ones health and wellness
    I've never met a person who only has two drinks. Whats the point? Once it hits your lips, its so good!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++