WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking in LLBean boots

I am planning about a 16mile hike on the AT. I am not sure what kind of boots I should wear. I have a pair of Bean boots that I was think about wearing. Does anyone else wear Bean boots for hiking?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly bear 336 View Post
    I am planning about a 16mile hike on the AT. I am not sure what kind of boots I should wear. I have a pair of Bean boots that I was think about wearing. Does anyone else wear Bean boots for hiking?
    What kind of Bean boots? Like these?

They'd do, but they aren't the best suited boot for hiking. I used to wear them hunting all the time though and did put a lot of tough miles on them.

I've got a pair of these that I think for the money are really good low cut trail shoes.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Ll bean boot

I hike with a pair of LL Bean Cresta Hikers... I like them..
    Grampie-N->2001

Why do you say they are not best suited boot for hiking?

Default Bean Boots

I have the gore-tex hikers with the vibram soles in the highcut model and regularly do 8-12 milers in the Mid-A on the AT and have had no issues with them. Took them up Marcy in the rain this fall. In fact, I just bought a new pair.

The original LL Bean boot (the one he started his business on) and pictured in the top of post 2, is not an easy boot to hike in.
    I've tried it.
    I worked a winter in Maine (construction) and bought a pair of these and eventually, I got used to wearing them and walking in them.
    But it took a long time. There is a lot of room inside the boot and your feet move around too much for proper traction IMO.
    They are warm though.
    If it's cold weather you are trying to beat, I'd go with whatever you wear in the good seasons weatherwise and then concentrate on your socks. Take extras to change into if your feet get cold and wet and ALWAYS keep a dry pair in your pack for sleeping in.
    Good luck.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly bear 336 View Post
    Why do you say they are not best suited boot for hiking?
    Talking about the Maine Hunting Shoe, top picture,
    Those boots are not very good for distance walking over hard ground, meaning rocks you would find on the trail etc. They are not very stiff underneath so you can feel the terrain somewhat. I have had several pairs in one form or another. Trail walking your feet will be sore in no time.
    They are not very good in very cold weather such as January here in Maine in the regular style. Even with heavy socks and inserts for the sole the boot's insulation is poor. It is just rubber and thin liner over the toe section.

What they are good for is hunting and fishing in the shoulder seasons of spring and fall and also for milder winter days. I think they are quite comfortable that way. There are better boots out there, even by LL Bean. IE this Maine Hunting Shoe is also made in a pile isulated model and one with a harder sole.

They can be made quite waterproof if one wants to spend the time using Sno Seal or something similar along the stitching and leather.

just my opinion.

Cresta hikers. Been wearing them for years.

++ New Posts ++