WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 7 lb quest

as far as going cookless, since im not carrying a stove and the esbits are consumables, cooking or not that 3 oz isn't in my base weight as noted above, so ill take that off.

Images

Default Foam Pad

The Closed Cell Foam Pad can be cut down to body shape to save weight.
    I used a Ridgerest 3/4 length and cut it down to an hourglass shape. Since only my hips and shoulders are touching the ground this worked brilliantly for me. For my feet I used my empty MLD Exodus pack for ground insulation.
    At any rate my cut down Ridgerest is 6 ounces.

The Six moon Designs Gatewood cape, at 11 ounces, has been succesfully used by some of my LD hiker buddies. I have been sorely tempted to combine my rain gear/shelter this way. The reality on the trail was I got either wet from sweat when in raingear or wet from rain without it.

Despite what was posted elsewhere you are much better off stowing your down jacket with your sleeping bag and being a little cold while hiking in rain than to wear it under your raingear as it will become soaked thru rapidly.
    Anyhow the sleeping pad and the shelter as raingear could be a area to cut weight.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Quote Originally Posted by mcskinney View Post
    oops sorry,
    SH hurricane pants 7oz
    SD hurracane jacket 7oz

those are both included in that 120 oz total.

I'll review your other suggestions even though they were partially sarcastic
    Well, as some have pointed out, I just never grew up. Glad you took it in the spirit I intended.

Quote Originally Posted by mcskinney View Post
    my 1st aid kit contains:
    8 butterfly closures, 10 IB200's, 5 percocet, 5 Imodium, safety pin, leatherman 'style', sm zip lock, and there is duct tape around my hiking poles and bandana elsewhere

my hygiene kits contains:
    half toothbrush, dozen q-tips, ½-¾ oz of Dr. Bonners in dropper, small ½ tube toothpaste, sm ziplock, bandana elsewhere.
    For UL, I'd drop 6 of the butterfly's and add one largish bandaid. Do you need that many IB and percocet? I like the Leatherman, that's a nifty little tool.

Lose the Bonners.

Personally, going this UL would be impossible, it's way too far out of my comfort zone. Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    For UL, I'd drop 6 of the butterfly's and add one largish bandaid. Do you need that many IB and percocet? I like the Leatherman, that's a nifty little tool.

Lose the Bonners.

Personally, going this UL would be impossible, it's way too far out of my comfort zone. Good luck and have fun!
    IB200 2 per day at night at camp
    percocet in case of an injury where I or someone else is immobilized and in great pain whilst someone else goes for help.

Without the bonners what would i wash my face, hands, ass, and pot/spoon with?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JonGalt View Post
    Sorry, guys. I wasn't trying to "rip him a new one". I completely recognize that for some people, hiking the AT is competition to see who can carry the least weight. It doesn't sound like much fun to me, but as I said, "to each his own".

The man said wanted to shave a few more ounces from his 7lb empty weight for an AT thru hike, "just for fun". All I did was point out the inconsistencies in his choices. For instance, it's pointless to take a down jacket as your only insulation on the AT if you don't also bring a rain jacket. And it's silly to bring a stuff bag to use as a pillow if you aren't bringing enough dry clothes to make a pillow.
    perhaps "just for fun" should be defined...I rather enjoyed it... kinda; looked like Mr.Galt was writing HIS opinion "just for fun"...I mean...tell the truth..you weern't grinning the whole time reading it ??...I was...and I read a lot here..."just for fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    perhaps "just for fun" should be defined...I rather enjoyed it... kinda; looked like Mr.Galt was writing HIS opinion "just for fun"...I mean...tell the truth..you weren't grinning the whole time reading it ??...I was...and I read a lot here..."just for fun"
    I did a laugh out loud and thought that was a very funny response by Mr. Galt.. A funny spin on how 'lightweight' he could actually go.. It was very humorous and made me say ''hmmmmm..just maybe" to a few suggestions!!

Cut the stove and fuel. Go GORP: Simplify.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I went from a Snowpeak 750 ml to an Evernew 500 ml and saved a bit of weight (plus it packs smaller). Still does 2 cups (15.9 oz).

I gave up the platypus a long time ago.

I'm ever so slightly willing to consider going stoveless but well.... there's the coffee thing to consider.

I remember when i was in the War between the states..We`d be up at 2 AM,no breakfast,marching 25 miles with a 40 pound pack and a 12 pound rifle to boot,mostly barefoot. Any takers?

The REI Flash 30 pack, weighs 24 ounces, not 10 ounces. You would probably need a Cuben Zpack to get in the 10 ounce, or less range.
    Singletrack

If you're comfortable with the 45 degree bag, then temps should be adequate to not be terribly concerned about ground insulation when sleeping. Gossamer Gear sells a thin torso length pad that weighs in at 2.6 oz. (saving you over/near 1/2 pound); you'll need to use your pack under your legs. Another minor savings is to go with bear line from Zpacks in the smallest diameter they offer - still strong enough to hang any food you're going to carry - .65 oz/50 ft. That and a 0.1 oz biner. Someone made a sarcastic remark about cutting off tags; no shame in that - I've never met anyone on the trail who commented about how great their tags were. HYOH

Weight savings and a lighter wallet...

Swap out to a Zpacks pack - saves 4oz

Use a polycro GC - 1.5oz

GO to a MYOG 45d down M50 quilt. Guy over at BPL did one in 12 oz I think, expensive and tedious - 5oz

Lighter pad - 2oz

Swap out to a cut down fosters can (18oz) in a country time lemonade container. Gives you 3 containers, and the CTL container can handle hot water - weighs about 3 oz, almost free - 1.5 oz

Compactor bag and 2 dry bags. I would get rid of one of these or build cuben dry sacks. - 2oz

If summer you could swap out the 14 oz of rain gear for the 3oz driducks Emer poncho. Someone is testing it here - 11oz, other wise the driducks suit or poncho is 10 oz. For sumemr just the driducks top is 5-6 oz.

You could swap the SMD for a large 8oz cuben tarp - 5oz

All of that saves you about 2#

i think ya'll are nuts. i dont give a crap about weight, i only love to hike and i want to be Comfortable while i am hiking and camping. My base weight is 11.5 and that includes food, BUT not water. i load up on water and carry about 12 lbs worth. Y you ask cause i like to stay hydrated and i know the more i drink, my weight will go down as well as i walk. i know when i am at camp i am going to be DRY, hydrated and full cause i am not crazy. You might not need something this time but need something the next. There are many things that i dont use in my pack that could save me a couple ounce, but i choose to take it anyway. Whats a couple ounces here and there to be a happy hiker.

Saffirre8 what is ur base weight without food ??

-There are a couple of lighter packs out there that can save you a few ounces, look at Zpacks, MLD and Gossamer Gear

-A short CCF pad could save you another couple of ounces over the neo air

-You could trade the Wild Oasis for a lighter tarp-- something like a Poncho tarp and save 7 ounces and you then have a light rain protection and so you can nix your rain jacket or whatever you are using for additional weight savings.

-Ground cloth-- switch to the heat shrink wrap kit and knock 2 ounces off.

-You could 6-9 ounces by switching to a 40 degree quilt.

-You could probably knock 2 ounces out of your hygiene kit if you tried.

-In Colorado I get by with just 2L of water, you could nix the gaterade bottle.

-Nix the stuff sacks. Just line your pack with a trash compacktor bag to waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    In my book fuel (esbit) counts as consumables. Saves 3 ounces from your gear list.
    Still gotta carry it though. So you just fooling yourself into thinking you're traveling lighter than you are. Same when people forget about the clothes they wear. Sure, theyre not in your pack, but your muscles still need to work harder to carry the extra weight!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++