Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Practice camping in the rain with your dog in your little tent when both of your are soaked
    And anticipate the same situations at 35F

At a minimum, you have to have a bag with DWR finish, and that wont usually be found on cheap bag.
    you cant have a bag whose shell fabric absorbs water easily with a wet dog in a small tent.
    honestly, Id say you should think hard about high quality synthetic with a dog..

just food for thought

and Im not a woman.
    I've been looking at the sierra designs dridown. it's more expensive (by a frightening amount) but may solve the dog problem

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post
    I've been looking at the sierra designs dridown. it's more expensive (by a frightening amount) but may solve the dog problem
    Don't hate me.
    The best way to solve the dog problem is to hike solo.
    If a Sierra Designs bag is frighteningly more expensive, you need a larger budget for your hike.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post
    how much warmth (if any), about, do you find it adds? bear with me please lol I'm from louisiana so cold isn't something I'm really used to dealing with when camping
    Have you seen bags with EN Temperature Ratings? Those tests at done with an R-5 sleep foundation between the bag and the ground. You can get to R-5 using two closed cell foam pads that are more or less dog proof. They will be heavier and bulkier than an Xtherm. And at least half the price.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Don't hate me.
    The best way to solve the dog problem is to hike solo.
    If a Sierra Designs bag is frighteningly more expensive, you need a larger budget for your hike.

Wayne
    I don't hate you. I recognize that the dog adds complications.

My attitude is that right now I'm a bit more transient and a bit less locked into a long-term job, so my timeline is a little more fluid. Although I plan on starting in march, I would rather be properly prepared. If I don't have enough money to get the RIGHT gear and still have money for the trail itself by march, then I'll wait a year. It just means that Diesel and I get more practice in the meantime.

so, now that that's sorted, what are your thoughts on the dridown and whether or not it would solve the wet dog problem? If it will, and it's the right sleeping option for me, I'll spend the money and make it work. If not, I'll keep looking, and would love to hear your (and anyone else who has more cold weather camping with a dog experience than I do) opinions on what might be a more suitable option.

Also, back to the point of posting in this thread...what would your recommendation be for the temperature rating, given everything we've discussed?

I only know about what works for me. I don't sleep cold.
    March, 2015. I purchased a WM Alpinlite 20 degree bag. To date, the lowest temperature that I have experienced was 25 degrees. I was wearing merino wool light socks and long underwear. No hat, gloves, down vest, etc. The bag was only half zipped.
    I was sleeping on an Xtherm large in a totally wind proof, well vented but not drafty single wall four season tent. Windless night.
    I wouldn't flinch at starting the AT March 1, plus or minus a week, with that sleep and shelter system.
    Try to find a quilt with a sturdy shell sized for your dog. Train the dog to sleep on the doggy bed. Pure theory. I have no clue if that would work.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++