Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleeping Bag - What Temperature Rating Is Best?

I'm leaving for my through hike the first week in April and am wondering what kind of sleeping bag I should bring. Typically, I sleep relatively cold. I know I want a down bag, but am torn between a 15 degree bag or a 0 degree bag. A 15 degree bag is more versatile, but I'm worried I might be cold. I was thinking perhaps buying a 15 degree bag and pairing it with a liner. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Cora

Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I'm leaving for my through hike the first week in April and am wondering what kind of sleeping bag I should bring. Typically, I sleep relatively cold. I know I want a down bag, but am torn between a 15 degree bag or a 0 degree bag. A 15 degree bag is more versatile, but I'm worried I might be cold. I was thinking perhaps buying a 15 degree bag and pairing it with a liner. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Cora
    15 degree with a silk liner is what I'm using, leaving early-mid march.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Can a guy answer here?

A good quality 15 or 20 degree bag would be my suggestion. Be aware that there is no standard in rating bags so one brand 20 degree bag may not be as warm as another brand. Several brands have a good reputation as being rated accurately, these include but are not limited to: Feathered Friends (my personal choice), Western Mountaineering and MontBell. All fairly expensive but this is one piece of equipment I wouldn't skimp on.

I think it's easier to increase the rating of a bag by wearing long underwear than using a liner, also more versatile.

Hike smarter, not harder.

There is a standard for bags in Europe, it's called the EN rating. A large number of bags have been tested for this rating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537

Note that under this testing, men and women have different temperature rating (much like life). FF and WM are not EN rated, but are universally considered to be true to their advertised rating. You could also carry something like a TiGoat bivy to gain some extra temp rating.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 01-07-2011 at 12:14.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Am leaning towards the 15 degree bag with a liner. Happy hiking.

Cheers,
    Cora

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    15 degree with a silk liner is what I'm using, leaving early-mid march.

Agree.....

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I hiked the AT twice using a 20 degree bag. I sleep fairly cold. There were only a couple of nights when I wished for more warmth. Had i been sleeping in a tent, I'd have been warmer. (Shelters are colder than tents.) I brought a liner on my first thruhike, but I'd twist so much in my bag, I hated having the liner wrapped around my lower body. I dumped it in the hiker box at Neels Gap.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Am leaning towards the 15 degree bag with a liner. Happy hiking.

Cheers,
    Cora
    One thing about your choice Cora you should know. A 15 * bag made for a woman can, and often is, a bit different than the same 15* bag designed for a man. That's because woman are generally believed to be colder sleepers and needing more/less insulation in slightly different areas than a man. The sleeping bag cut(dimensions) are sometimes(often?) slightly different than designed for men. MOST often, women are better off with a sleeping bag designed for a woman. Get the woman's version of your 15 * bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    One thing about your choice Cora you should know. A 15 * bag made for a woman can, and often is, a bit different than the same 15* bag designed for a man. That's because woman are generally believed to be colder sleepers and needing more/less insulation in slightly different areas than a man. The sleeping bag cut(dimensions) are sometimes(often?) slightly different than designed for men. MOST often, women are better off with a sleeping bag designed for a woman. Get the woman's version of your 15 * bag.
    Abalone.

Makers of women-specific gear want you to believe their stuff is special, but it is largely marketing hype, IMO.
    Last edited by Roland; 01-08-2011 at 09:04.
    Roland

Images

In the winter, carry a bag with a rating 10-15* lower than the lowest forecast temp. Giving that, an April NOBO departure wouldn't require a 0* bag
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

I just posted the same question a while ago for me. Here is a like to it. Hope it helps. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...50#post1090550

Good luck on your Thru- hike hope to see you out there or read your post.

Check what the weather will be. I have a 15* marmot pinnacle, and I'm a cold sleeper. If it's below 30*, my feet and hips are cold in it. Brr. My hubby has the mens version, though, and has never ever been cold in it. He sweats - makes me jealous! Have fun on your hike!

Images

Default 15 degree is fine then lighten up for summer

When I hiked a 15 degree synthetic was fine for a Mar 15 start. I used a silk liner and could wear my "sleep" clothes (smartwool long johns) if it was particularly cold. I only did that once. Now I'd carry a down bag taking proper precautions (Sea to Summit silnylon drysack as a stuff sack plus garbage compactor bag as a pack liner) also 15 or 20-degree rated.

From Harpers Ferry north, I'd switch to a 30 or 45 degree bag if your budget allows. I found I was slipping my sleeping pad into the silk liner and just pulling the open sleeping bag over me in the middle of the night when it was hot and humid.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Red face

Cheers,
    Cora
    this is grace n glory from 2010 thru hike. i am always cold and used a 20 degree down bag from mont bell spiral stretch it was wonderful, then later switched to a 40 degree bag of the same make.they are a little priceygood luck with your hike

I am leaving NOBO a little early in a few weeks and using a military issued sleeping system to -20 with three layers and no tent. It is heavy but with a gortex shell ( also used for a pack cover) and liner that I will shed in April lossing about 12 pounds when the weather warms up..."Boats"

Images

RedHat, GA-ME 2010, and I used a WM 20 degree down bag the whole way. I was never really cold at night. I slept in longjohns when it was cold out, no liner. when it got warmer, I just used the bag as a quilt,sometimes under me, sometimes on top. Don't skimp on this, your most important item!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I hiked the AT twice using a 20 degree bag. I sleep fairly cold. There were only a couple of nights when I wished for more warmth. Had i been sleeping in a tent, I'd have been warmer. (Shelters are colder than tents.) I brought a liner on my first thruhike, but I'd twist so much in my bag, I hated having the liner wrapped around my lower body. I dumped it in the hiker box at Neels Gap.
    based on this reasoning, would you say a 30 degree bag with long underwear would be appropriate in a tent?

Then, I would think the sleeping pad would be decisive.

I like the XTherm.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Then, I would think the sleeping pad would be decisive.

I like the XTherm.
    how much warmth (if any), about, do you find it adds? bear with me please lol I'm from louisiana so cold isn't something I'm really used to dealing with when camping

Journal Entries

Practice camping in the rain with your dog in your little tent when both of your are soaked
    And anticipate the same situations at 35F

At a minimum, you have to have a bag with DWR finish, and that wont usually be found on cheap bag.
    you cant have a bag whose shell fabric absorbs water easily with a wet dog in a small tent.
    honestly, Id say you should think hard about high quality synthetic with a dog..

just food for thought

and Im not a woman.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-05-2016 at 20:32.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++