WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: My trail beer of choice is?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Former Admin

Default My trail beer of choice is?

My trail beer of choice is?

A free-be

Images

Bourbon or rum on trail. In town, whatever is local. Failing that, whatever is cheapest. The main problem I have with the AT is that I can't get Old Style anywhere near it.

Section Hiker 180 AT miles

i heard you can get bear in hikerfriendly pouches now. that sounds like trouble to me.
    "Do what you Love, Love what you do"

First of all, it's "Yuengling", and second of all, what the hell is Beilmann's?

For what it's worth, my vote is PBR or Rolling Rock, but it depends entirely on what is available or who is paying.

Come to think of it, "Guinness" and "Budweiser" were also mis-spelled. Whoever introduced this thread needs to either spell better or drink less beer while posting.

PBR or OP(other peoples)

Images

Default Any

Any brand, it's all good. All calories!! Pizza and beer at the Doyle.... yummmmmmmmmm
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

King Of Beers

Images

Since we all have our hitching stories, Trail Magic Stories, etc. Let me tell my Beer Story.

In 1999 I was going from Sinking Creek Valley to Bland. I met up with a partner in Pearisburg and we made had a goal for Dismal Falls as a campsite on Sunday night with a long stay on Monday before leaving out.

About 1630 or so on Sunday we were heading up the trail to the falls and heard loud Skynnyrd and a barking dog as we approached. Now I don't mind good southern rock and a little company, but my partner didn't want all that, she wanted privacy (get you mind out of the gutter boys) and a quiet place. So we cache the packs and I work around to the high side of the creek to observe who is there before going to the falls.

Using my best stealth creep, I work upstream, then into the water, and then downstream to the falls. There above the falls is a guy (we will call him Dowferd to protect his actual name), his girlfriend (well call her Mary Jo), and their dog with lots of beer, lawn chairs, and a dog (Cujo). I watch for about 5-10 minutes to see what is happening. To my supprise, they start packing up to leave. Cool, we will have the falls to ourselves since we and they are the only ones here. I proceed back to the cache site to inform my partner.

So we start looking for a camp site and find a nice one there on the AT side of the creek, set up the tent (pre-hammock days) and start looking for dry wood. While this is going on, we hear lots of loud engine revving, tire spinning, and yelling. They have gotten stuck somehow.

Hoping they will leave ASAP, I decide to go see if I can help. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I'm in the Army and have lots of experience getting vehicles unstuck since I'm Cavalry and ground Cavalry spends lots of time in some of the worst terrain out there. Anyway, I get to the far side of the creek and see them. Mary Jo is behind the drivers seat gunning it, while Dowferd is jumping up and down on the back bumper yelling at her and cursing. The left front tire is in a ditch, and it is a 2 wheel drive S10 Blazer. Old Cujo in the back going nuts.

I approach and introduce myself and tell them I want to help and my experience, so old Dowferd allows me to jump up and down on the back bumper with him. But getting wheel traction in the back ain't working, the frame is on the ground in the front. So I tell Mary Jo to put it in reverse and go to the front to shove. The truck starts getting out, and Dowferd seeing my plan is working comes to my aid. We shove the truck enough to get the back wheels enough leverage to haul the truck out. Mary Jo is happy, Dowferd is happy, Cujo is still barking his ass off. Maybe it is because I expect him to

Dowferd is shaking my hand, thankful as all get out, asks me if there is anything he can do to make it up to me. I say "Got any beer?". Hell yes he replies, opens up a cooler and gives me my pick of his best 5 Michelob (Hey, weekends were made for it!) that are still ICE COLD! I return to the camp as they drive away. That night's pasta got three ice cold beers, and my partner got the other two. I have never tasted a better beer in my life.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I'm mostly a local beer guy. I buy from local breweries as much as possible, but when I can't find a local I like, I go for the old stand by, Guinness.

For actual on-trail alcohol consumption I stick with things that can add a punch to stuff I already drink on trail, B&B, Christian Brothers, or Grand Marnier all work very well in coffee, hot cocoa or even hot apple cider. If I don't care about mixing or the hike will be a milestone, then the only possible choice is a good Single Malt Scotch. I haven't gotten as picky as some on the subject, but I'm working on it. For now, my wallet can handle the occasional bottle of 12-16 year old Glenfiddich and the like.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Best Brew

For my money it's Yuengling ! Wish I could get my hands on some out here in Wyoming.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

That pouch beer is a West coast product, maybe Alaska. Comes in a gold foil pouch sort of like Capri sun. I searched it down once, but don't remember the name. Weight was a problem to have it shipped, too expensive. Think it was around quart size. Homebrew's best.

The best beers I have had along the AT are Magic Hat's Humble Patience (Inn at Long Trail) and Troeg's Pale Ale (The Doyle). I regret not yet trying the "Troegenator" Double Bock.

For those of you ever in a car driving 95 into/out of Maine, I absolutely recommend you take a meal break and head into Portland and go to the Great Lost Bear. It's an excellent tap room with over 50 rotating taps featuring many upper New England micros.

Here's a link to the beer in a pouch:
    http://incanpouch.tripod.com/

Bloody Cactus MadAussieInLondon's Avatar

i dont drink beer, but i like a nice whisky. Lagavulin, Talisker, Laphroaig, Bunnahabhain.
    -- [TrailName :: Bloody Cactus] --

Images

Long Trail Ale of course!

I highly recommend visiting the Long Trail Brewery which is on Route 4 west of Killington in Bridgewater Vermont, not for the brewery tour (I'm not sure there is one) but for the food. There is a pub there that serves great buffalo wings and hearty sandwiches. All the Long Trail beers are on tap too of course!
    Last edited by celt; 12-09-2003 at 19:29.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Long Trail Ale is actually pretty good. I had the pleasure of trying it this summer after a day hike.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default beer

Yuengling if im in pennsylvania. Long Trail's hit the Trail Ale is awesome too. Mostly whatever people buy since I can't even legally drink!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Whatever is cold... OP's...what is being offered.... if the store has decent beer, then something good. Just no garbage....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++