WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Chiefie, Let me know how you like that bag. I was going to buy it but couldn't find much about it. Only two negs were center zip and no down in the hood. Other than that the specs look great.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by freemarie View Post
    I began to contemplate down, and then read this feedback that fueled my indecision... I really need a bag under $100 or right at $100 if anyone knows of any down bags for this price.
    www.luxurylite.com - $99. And you can get sacalerts that will text or email you when certain products come on (like Stoic). Pretty handy.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    www.luxurylite.com - $99. And you can get sacalerts that will text or email you when certain products come on (like Stoic). Pretty handy.
    preferably 0 degree...I know I'm asking a lot for under $100, but I think it's do able...

Baron
    Images

preferably 0 degree...I know I'm asking a lot for under $100, but I think it's do able...
    Craigslist and eBay(or here!) may be your best bet then.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Baron
    Images

(For example, a Down 0* bag is on sale here)
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Stoic Vamp 15 Sleeping Bag - $115 (Down) On steep and cheap got to keep looking it will come around again
    It's there again right now - for 20 more minutes.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

10K's campmor bag-you cannot beat that price and these are good bags
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

I have to agree with the Campmor bag. BUT...in my experience I can honestly say I would skimp on any of my gear but NEVER my bag. Having a good bag is the difference between a good hike and one that could go bad. IMO of course.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Freemarie, as many others have indicated to you, be careful in putting your foot down on a price like this when it comes to a winter bag in terms of quality and price. Campmor is your best bet and down is what you most likely need. You can't have both (in terms of price and quality) in the case of a bag, so good luck and have a great and safe hike.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I just got this bag last week. Not bad at all for the price.

Certainly better than any of the synthetics mentioned.

I think the only reason to choose synthetic over down (except for an allergy) would be out of fear of getting the down wet which is really pretty hard to do unless you work at it. I washed both of my down bags this weekend and was reminded again of how hard it is to really soak one.

Edited to add: I just put that 0* bag in its stuffsack and it easily takes up over 1/3 of the capacity of my size large Catalyst by itself.
    Wait, what bag takes up over 1/3 of the capacity of your pack?

Baron
    Images

Follow the link, he said the Campmor 0* down bag.

It's worth nothing that the Catalyst isn't a *massive* pack(about half of the claimed allocated storage space is outside the main compartment), and the Campmor bag uses a lower quality fill, which means it'll be a bit heavier and bulkier. For the money though it isn't a bad bag, as everyone seems to swear by it.

I might add that I've crammed a Marmot Sawtooth extrawide long, a SD Vaporlight 2(poles on the outside), and a bear canister all into my Catalyst with no problem. the Sleeping bag is ALWAYS going to be the biggest single item in your pack.

Yeah, that's what I was confused about. He commented earlier about synthetic bags being bulky (obviously) but mentioned his campmor took up 1/3 of the space in his bag.

Images

Have you ever considered a 15 or 20 degree bag (which are cheaper) and purchasing a silk liner? My liner adds a good 10 degrees to my 20 degree bag.

I bought a liner, but it didn't feel that it would actually add 10 degrees. Plus I wanted to stay as close to $100. My bag was $75 plus the $20 liner, and I didn't really feel as warm as I want in 20 degree weather with a 15 degree bag. I am always very very cold, so I think I may need to just get a 0 degree bag. I don't really have the funds to purchase a silk liner.

Images

Default sleep

get what you need to stay warm, there's a lot of night in March...

That is what I am thinking!

Baron
    Images

Yeah, that's what I was confused about. He commented earlier about synthetic bags being bulky (obviously) but mentioned his campmor took up 1/3 of the space in his bag.

Catalyst doesn't have a lot of internal space(although more than "real" UL packs). What kind of pack do you have?

Kelty Lakota (4000)

Baron
    Images

Kelty Lakota (4000)
    Yeah, it isn't very likely that a Campmor 0* Down bag would take up a third of that. Again, a Catalyst has substantially less internal space than most packs.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

I need a cheap, light & synthetic bag. These are the ones I am deciding between. The Kelty Cosmic, Columbia The Zone, Eureka Casper, and Swiss Gear Crevasse. They're all 0 degrees except the Eureka Casper. I realize I won't need a 0 degree bag, but I am a very cold sleeper.

Any experience or opinions on any of these?
    You can have cheap and synthetic, and you can have light and synthetic, but not all three. You'd have to shell out big bucks for a synethic bag that equals the performance and compression of a down bag - the trade-off, a less expensive synthetic bag, is weight and size - you'll have to settle for a 4 lb + bag that takes up half the space of your pack.

If synthetic is not a necessity for you (allergies, moral dilemma over down harvesting, etc.) then by all means grab the Campmor 20F bag and wear baselayers and a puffy down coat to sleep if you really can't handle the cold. Oh, and get a good insulating sleeping pad too.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++