WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Gearing up

I'm already gearing up and doing some overnighters in the foothills west of Denver (section 1 mostly so far) and I'm stoked.

I'm logging my exploits with gear and lessons learned at http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12190

Default CT Thru-hike

Hopefully shooting for Aug. 1st from Denver.
    -Toothpick

I hesitate to bring this up and jinx the hike, but hiking the CT has moved from thinking about it to tentatively planning to early-stage planning. Northern Harrier and I are hoping to start July 23 from the Indian Creek trailhead to deal with the Waterton Canyon closure. I've got an old friend - my first hiking partner from the 70s - who lives in Evergreen and will shuttle us to the trailhead as well as store my car.

I've never done a single hike of this length before so we'll see what happens.

Just booked my flight.

Officially starting July 31!

New to the forum, but figured I'd make my first post here.

I'll be starting either June 22nd or June 23rd, westbound from Denver (or southwest bound?). I'm going to leave my car in Durango, and I just bought a flight from Durango to Denver...it was only $20 more expensive than greyhound (thanks to expedia.com Bargain Fares) and will take 1 hour to fly instead of a 14-hour overnight bus trip (the only bus from Durango to Denver in late June leaves daily at 8 pm, arrives in Denver at 6 am). Just thought I'd mention in case any of you are trying to figure that out. Probably won't work if you're going back to Denver at the end of the trail as you won't know when you'll finish.

I'm going with another guy I met on another forum (thecoloradotrail.com), we're both in our early 20s. We're planning on the Hope Pass alternate route, and hoping to bag some 14ers. My guess is that we're gonna be much earlier than the rest of you...

Default My guess

Quote Originally Posted by dogdrtobe View Post
    My guess is that we're gonna be much earlier than the rest of you...
    My guess is that you are going to be postholing past your knees with the big snowpack and the crazy weather we've been having.

Default thanks for "your guess"

Quote Originally Posted by palumbo View Post
    My guess is that you are going to be postholing past your knees with the big snowpack and the crazy weather we've been having.
    Everything I've read says that mid-late June is an acceptable time to start...I mean, I know weather can do anything, and I'm definitely anticipating finding some snow, but you're the first to say that we'll be post-holing to our thighs.

Someone else on another forum just said that he's also planning to start on June 23rd, and I've seen a couple other people say they're aiming to start at the end of June. So either we're all idiots, or you just felt the need to leave an obnoxious comment. Personally, I can't push back my starting date more than a couple days, because I'm starting grad school in August, so I'm just going to have to hope for the best.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I think what Palumbo is alluding to is the snowpack levels in NoColorado are quite high this year. Depending upon your pace, even a later June start may put you in snow in the higher country (starts around Copper Mtn/Georgia Pass IMO) this coming season.

All depends of course on what happens in June. Could be a big melt off. As I type, it is raining hard at 5400'. It is snowing just above me in the foothills (according to this website http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=COZ035)

Mid to Late June is usually a good start. I'd put the emphasis on late June this year.

This site may help, too:
    http://www.coloradotrail.org/snowandweather.html

Good luck and Happy Trails!
    Last edited by Mags; 05-19-2011 at 00:36.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default What I was Alluding to...

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I think what Palumbo is alluding to is the snowpack levels in NoColorado are quite high this year. Depending upon your pace, even a later June start may put you in snow in the higher country (starts around Copper Mtn/Georgia Pass IMO) this coming season.

All depends of course on what happens in June. Could be a big melt off. As I type, it is raining hard at 5400'. It is snowing just above me in the foothills (according to this website http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=COZ035)

Mid to Late June is usually a good start. I'd put the emphasis on late June this year.

This site may help, too:

Good luck and Happy Trails!
    I couldn't have said it better myself. The snow report at the CT site is great.

I'm going with another guy I met on another forum (thecoloradotrail.com), we're both in our early 20s. We're planning on the Hope Pass alternate route, and hoping to bag some 14ers. My guess is that we're gonna be much earlier than the rest of you...
    I'm in the same boat as you are bud; this is the only chance I have to hike the trail for at least a year. Hopefully most of the snow melts, but if not, it ain't gonna stop me, it'll just make me more determined.

Quote Originally Posted by appalachianjosh View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you are bud; this is the only chance I have to hike the trail for at least a year. Hopefully most of the snow melts, but if not, it ain't gonna stop me, it'll just make me more determined.

You guys know its been snowing up there all week right? Aspen mountain just reopened it snowed so much. If you guys are really leaving early to mid june bring snowshoes and a GPS.

it ain't gonna stop me, it'll just make me more determined
    Hmm...

Here is a link from the CTF website to some Snotel stations along the way. These are remotely operated devices that constantly monitor snow depths.

Some snow depths today (5/22) :
    Seg 6 51"
    Seg 8 83"
    Seg 24 52" (this station is actually 1100' lower than the trail)

You better have some gear and know how to use it.

There are likely to be serious cornices on the high ridges that you will have to climb over or cut through. The 10 mile range (Seg. 7) usually holds a cornice until late June and it will probably have a particularly large one this year.

In many places the trail is constructed along steep side slopes. (Seg. 8 is a good example) When it is cool in early morning the snow will be almost like ice and it is a long steep ride down to the rocks below You should have a ice axe and crampons. If you do slip you will need to know how to self arrest with the ice axe. Not being able to do this could be fatal in some circumstances. When it warms up it will be much easier in terms of how slippery it is but you will posthole up to your thighs.

The CT is marked for summer travel, so you will also need to navigate with gps and maps a lot since you won't have a clue where the trail actually is.

What I am saying is that it's not ready yet. You need to plan accordingly...

=( Here's praying for a massive heat wave that magically melts all of the snow!

Any consideration I should make on account of the estimated 250% of normal snow they have had in places on the CT like Breckinridge (open for skiing this weekend apparently?)

Quote Originally Posted by echoes View Post
    I might be out there again this year, west/southbound starting late June/early July.
    Got my flight booked. Starting at Indian Creek on June 30th. Hope to see some of you guys on the trail!

I'll be on the CT going WEBO starting sometime around mid July. Going through Roxborough SP. See ya out there.

I've pushed mine back to a July 18th start, out of Roxborough.

Pushed my start by one day - starting via Indian Creek Trail on Sunday, July 24.

Looks like a lot of us are starting late July. Hope to see some of you on the trail!

Default Thru-hiking

Westbound

August 1st roughly

solo hike thru-hiked A.T in 09, leaving from Portland,OR

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++