WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: CT lodgings

Journal Entries
    Images

Default CT lodgings

Hey fellow WHITE BLAZERS!

looking to section DWG NoBo thru Jersey & NY this MAY 28-JUNE 12...
    hopefully (if i stay on schedule) ending in Kent or Cornwall,CT

hows the lodgings in these 2 towns?
    any suggestions?
    best place?
    best place to eat in town?

thanks for any/all input

see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Kent has a town center whereas Cornwall has several little hamlets. In Kent your main option is the Fife & Drum. There's also a superb chocolatier/restaurant on the corner just next door to the outfitter you pass as you enter town from the trail.

Going northbound after Kent, you come to Cornwall Bridge. About a 1 mile walk from the trail there is the Hitching Post Inn http://www.cthitchingpostmotel.com/. That's the only one I know of in Cornwall Bridge. Not much in the way of restaurants there, though. But you can get a good sandwich at Baird's Store.

A few miles north from there is West Cornwall. There's a couple of restaurants, as I recall. You might try The Wandering Moose, just to the right over the covered bridge. The owner has an anger management problem but limits it to his staff. Food's ok. Don't recall a motel along theat stretch.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

The IGA store in Kent has a nice deli counter with a very good selection. Pretty territory out there. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Kent is pricey but the Pasta Garden/Pizza joint is a good place for a pie and a pint. Not sure about a place to stay though, I've camped behind city hall before without issue...
    -milkman

got soul?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There were helpful people who mentioned some kind of camping area in Kent. I ate at the Chinese place, it was ok and reasonable.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The Mt Algo shelter is only a 10 minute walk to Kent. If you need a room in Kent, be ready to spend some really big bucks for it.

You might as well go the extra distance to Salisbury and finish up CT, its only a few more days. There are a couple of private homes there which put up hikers for $20.00 a night and if you need a bus to get home, the bus stop is in the next town to the east (forget the name off hand) and might not be too hard to hitch to. (and is the closest bus stop to the trail in CT).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

When I was passing through last fall, it looked like someone was fixing up the old inn in Falls Village. It's been out of business a few years.

No guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblisters View Post
    Kent is pricey but the Pasta Garden/Pizza joint is a good place for a pie and a pint. Not sure about a place to stay though, I've camped behind city hall before without issue...
    I'll second the Pasta Garden.

Jaybird, start saving your $$$ now - CT is pretty expen$ive.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The Mt Algo shelter is only a 10 minute walk to Kent. If you need a room in Kent, be ready to spend some really big bucks for it.

You might as well go the extra distance to Salisbury and finish up CT, its only a few more days. There are a couple of private homes there which put up hikers for $20.00 a night and if you need a bus to get home, the bus stop is in the next town to the east (forget the name off hand) and might not be too hard to hitch to. (and is the closest bus stop to the trail in CT).
    North Canaan it is, with the village of Canaan being its commercial center - has a good Subway on 44 west end of town (skip the chinese joint even if jonesing for Chinese, trust me). Also has a McD's and a little diner which is skippable, and a big Stop and Shop. Blue collar town in a rich county, so prices are reasonable. About 4-5 miles off trail to the east on Rt. 44 which, not surprisingly, crosses the Housatonic on the way.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

++ New Posts ++