WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

These are a good deal, and will fit any boot

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=764314

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

I have to disagree about the us military surplus snowshoes. Great snowshoes but the bindings are junk. I bought a pair 10 years ago and gave up on the bingings after one day, the concept was okay but the locking hardware didnt lock very well. I switched to an Iverson binding and it made all the difference. I use them for powder on ubroken trails. They are difficult to use on packed trails as most of the modern shoes are skinnier making a track that is too narrow.

Images

I would tell you to rent some different ones and see how you feel. I have Atlas 10x33 and Tubbs 10x30, and both are nice, though I lean towards Atlas. The MSR are great, too. Some are louder, all bindings are different.

As for size, it all depends on what the conditions are. If on packed down trails, smaller is fine, until you need to go "off trail". If breaking trail, you'll want larger ones. I wouldn't go smaller than 30", personally. In fresh snow, at 240 lbs, the 30" that I have are okay, but small-ish.

Make sure to get crampons on the 'shoes if going into the hills. And use ski poles when starting out; your balance can get thrown off pretty easy when 'shoeing.
    Greg P.

Instead of carrying a backpack while snowshoeing, go get a plastic kid's toboggan. They may even be closing them out now. Look around and you'll find directions for making a harness out of an old pack's hipbelt, and using small PVC pipe to keep the thing well behind you (it stinks to have the toboggan bump you as you walk, and really stinks when it beats you to the bottom of the hill). Then you walk without the extra weight and the stuff glides behind you. You can also put extra holes in the sides of the toboggan and rig those with bungies or cord, and make a cover that is easy to put on and take off. You'll have room for extra hot chocolate.

Pringles

Images

Make them out of electrical conduit and nylon rope, (about $20)

Default snowshoes

I bought barely used rentals from EMS. They are 36" Tubbs Altitudes. Great shoes. I paid less than half price. If cost is a major factor but you want good shoes I'd say rent a few times this season and be on the lookout for spring rental sell offs. Like has been said get good bindings simple to use and durable. It is not fun jury rigging repairs in the backcountry or constantly having to adjust your shoes. If you want to climb mountains traction is essential. If you want to backpack or break trail a little more size gives good float. Enjoy.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Instead of carrying a backpack while snowshoeing, go get a plastic kid's toboggan.
    Works well on moderately rolling and/or gradual terrain (old road beds, wide trails,etc)..not so well on steeper and/or windy trails.

I'd hate to use a sled while snowshoeing in the Whites.

I've used a sled for some trips around here..but even though the elevation is higher (10-11k ft at the area I am thinking) the elevation gain is gradual and the trails are not as steep and switchbacked like, say, Mt. Lafayette.

So, a sled is a good option in the right conditions.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

it's better if you add some mechanism to the sled and make a pulk. there are online videos of how to do this yourself.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    Thinking about getting a pair.

I'm 185 lbs, and will likely be carrying 30 to 40 lbs in the winter.

If I were to get em, I'b be trying NOT to break the bank.

Never even held a pair.

??????
    jerseydave, I had never held a pair either until this morning. Southern Connecticut has about 24 inches of ice-packed snow on the ground so I rented a pair of 30" MSR's from REI and gave it a go. I have to say that I think I'm hooked on this as a new hobby. I had to consciously think about my stride to keep the shoes from clipping against each other, but the motion was intuitive and it was a heck of a lot more fun than the post-holeing that I'm used to doing this time of year.
    If you can find a rental place near you give it a try, it cost me just over $20 for the weekend and was definitely worth it, I'm going again tomorrow morning.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The MSR is a great ss, it's best above tree line on hard packed bullet proof stuff. the Tubbs,Atlas shoes work best in the lighter fluffy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I have to disagree about the us military surplus snowshoes. Great snowshoes but the bindings are junk. I bought a pair 10 years ago and gave up on the bingings after one day, the concept was okay but the locking hardware didnt lock very well. I switched to an Iverson binding and it made all the difference. I use them for powder on ubroken trails. They are difficult to use on packed trails as most of the modern shoes are skinnier making a track that is too narrow.
    If the bindings are installed correctly they work fine, You did not have them installed correctly.

Attached diagram for proper installation.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

Images

I have the MSR lightning ascents and the Atlas MTN 1225's, both are great shoes. I can't say if I really prefer one over the other. I will say the Atlas suspension and binding system is extremely comfortable and you almost forget you have snow shoes on

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Marx View Post
    it's better if you add some mechanism to the sled and make a pulk. there are online videos of how to do this yourself.
    I always use sled/gear sled/pulk (perhaps incorrectly) interchangeably for backcountry use.

Whatever you call it...I don't think sled would work too well on steep and windy mtn trails vs. gradual terrain. YMMV.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

MSR Lightning is the cutting edge right now. Everyone I know that has them loves them. You would probably do well with 25". Larger will only be needed in deep powder which you typically won't see until you go further north than the Catskills...that is in an average winters. The bigger the snowshoe, the more cumbersome they are. It's as much about the surface conditions as weight. You will more likely encounter icey conditions in NJ and lower NY. The focus is more about traction than floatation here, usually. They do have extension tails available too. They also have Televators/heel lifts. Whatever you buy, you will regret not getting this feature.
    The full plastic deck type are more noisey. I used them this past weekend and found them annoyingly loud in a crusty snow.

It is best to rent first. That will give you the chance to try a few different styles.
    There are plenty of places to rent in the NY/NJ area. I am pretty sure you can rent at High Point Park, and EMS. Also, if you go to the AMC website, you can find scheduled hikes and workshops. They have snowshoe outings and welcome guests, I think.

If I were buying just one pair of snowshoes for general purpose, and especially if it were in the context of a trip of any length, I'd likely go for a pair of Northern Lites snowshoes. I have no experience with them, just minor gear lust over the lightweight design.

I already have (my family has) multiple pairs of snowshoes, but I am buying a new pair of MSR "Evo"s, because I plan to do some snowshoeing with a local group that does a fair bit of up- and down-hill hiking, so the extra lateral stability of the MSRs will be, I think, worth it. I sort of like the more aggressive traction of the MSR Evo Ascent model, but can't stomach paying $210 for them (plus another $30 if I want to be able to extend them for more flotation). Where I live, the 22" standard size will likely be enough most of the time anyway.

One catch I found in buying snowshoes on sale --- I got a pair of Tubbs branded snowshoes via steepandcheap.com, and they're pretty darned heavy, heavier than my older Tubbs or Sherpa models we own.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

...and when you finally get sick of snowshoes, you get some skis.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++