Default Trail shoes for girlfriend

My girlfriend wants to get some hiking shoes. They don't need to be boots but trail running type shoes. I have some lowas that I like but am interested in others as it's been a few years. Thanks.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Best best bet is to take her to a professional running shop and get properly fitted for her foot type (once you find the shoes you like you can get them cheaper online). I did this, found out I overpronated and ended up with Brooks Adrenaline ASR trail runners which I have used now for over three years.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Yeah, buying trail runners comes down to fit, fit, and fit. Some good brands to try are New Balance, Salomon, Keen, and anything else that fits her well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I have put more miles on the woman's Vasque Velocity than any other. I think they fit better than the mens (for a narrow foot). I have a friend who likes womens shoes in general because the large sizes are often on sale. I find the European sizes more consistant that the US sizes, and you do not need to adjust mens to womans sizes. So, I now have openned up the whole show universe of mens and womans shoes.

Most hikers prefer more toe protection, bigger tread and a little more stability than a straight running shoe. I also use a Superfeet insole for some extra protection (green also has the arch support.)

I bought my last pair of Vasque Velocity from the internet. They were more comfortable but had less than half the life. So, beware of the new model with the air cushion in the heel.

Rambler

Fit is IT. Brand matters so, so little.

My feet fit into certain models - not all - of Montrail, Saloman, and Asolo. In men's sizes. Women's sizes don't run large enough.

She needs to try on a lot of shoes, and if any sales person insists she is a size [whatever] and they feel too tight to her in the store, ignore the sales person! Keep trying on shoes and find a pair with good space in the toe box, that her heels don't pop out of the heel cup when she walks and don't rub the bony bits. If she doesn't get a good pair of shoes that fit, it's gonna be misery.

Most light hiking shoes have a life span of 200-500 miles, depending. I usually put in a pair of Superfeet since the factory insoles seem to wear out in a few dayhikes.

++ New Posts ++