WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wish I read this before

The nobler sort of man (or Woman) emphasizes the good qualities in others, and does not accentuate the bad. The inferior does.
    - Confucius

Not one for Confucius, however, there is a time to try to find the best in so many situations and people. It's far too easy to find fault and jump on it, no matter how right one thinks they are. It takes effort to find solutions and work out problems between people. So I hope it will begin with me, and from this point I can work at finding the good... I hope the best for all here.

Unfortunately, some seem only capable of adverse judgements of others and appear to revel in trolling. In those cases, it is best to ignore and move on to more positive experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Unfortunately, some seem only capable of adverse judgements of others and appear to revel in trolling. In those cases, it is best to ignore and move on to more positive experiences.
    Than you shouldn't be on cruising on this site, because it seems like this is the only life for some, it might be their only life and it's always someone who disturbs the karma of another. Also, I don't think that there's too many Noble ones who post here.

Default Looking for Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by screwysquirrel
    Than you shouldn't be on cruising on this site, because it seems like this is the only life for some, it might be their only life and it's always someone who disturbs the karma of another. Also, I don't think that there's too many Noble ones who post here.
    This by far is one of the best sites to be cruising. For I’ve found the Noble ones far outnumber the truly disturbed. Like I said, it takes effort to find solutions and work out problems between people. But like the quote says. The inferior accentuate the bad… It doesn’t mean turning a blind eye to evil. And it doesn’t mean that we can’t express our feeling and thoughts. To me, it just means I make the choice of how I wish to deal with people. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I’ve done it the wrong way. Sometimes the best course of action is to find the ignore button. We are human, prone to mistakes, however we have the ability to accept the fact that we can be wrong. Make it right, apologize, and try to make every effort not to repeat our mistakes, and then move on.

Sure, there is pure evil in this world and must be dealt with and confronted accordingly. I will continue to do this but in a more intelligent and positive manner. I realize that anything, which anyone writes here, makes them a target for criticism. Hopefully it’s constructive criticism, which helps us to better others and ourselves and makes the trail and life a better place.

Images

Continue to dwell on the positive and ignore the trolls. You'll do fine around here. Hopefully the trolls will grow up some day.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Throughout the short time on this site, I have generally found goodness in all the people. Some might be more critical than others, but who's to say? After all it is hard to judge emotion and character through text.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Throughout my time on this site, I have generally found goodness in all the people. Some might be more critical and opinionated than others, but who's to say? After all it is hard to judge emotion and character through text.

Happy trails!
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Can I not delete or edit a post using the "Quick Reply" tab?
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Default Quick Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by JillJones
    Like I said, it takes effort to find solutions and work out problems between people. But like the quote says. The inferior accentuate the bad…
    Just a quick clarification. In my last post, I put “The inferior accentuate the bad”… I’m optimistic no one, who has posted on this thread so far thinks I judge them to be inferior for their comments.

Default Wondering that myself..

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodroot
    Can I not delete or edit a post using the "Quick Reply" tab?
    I'm not sure why this feature has been disabled here and also on some other threads. It would be nice to be able to edit my misspelled words, typo's and things I wish I had not said... Anyone know why?

Images

i love white blaze.net,medicine man turned me on to white blaze,met him at the big dig at the the cumberland trail,soddy daisy section last june.when this trail is complete it will bee303 miles from cumberland gap national park to signal point overlook. neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JillJones
    I'm not sure why this feature has been disabled here and also on some other threads. It would be nice to be able to edit my misspelled words, typo's and things I wish I had not said... Anyone know why?
    We had a situation where someone was trolling on the site. He would say some very disturbing things, then later after dozens of people would post - blasting him for stuff he said, he would change his posts to look like he said something totally innocent, so that everyone after him looked stupid. To prevent this from happening ATTroll took away the edit function.

Just FYI, we sort or prefer the way things work here. People may post some obviously cruel, stupid, or improper stuff, but we would rather leave such things up where ya'll can read them and then make a judgment yourself as to what sort a person someone is rather that ATTroll and I always deleting posts and banning folks then ya'll wonder what the big deal was all about since the "evidence" is gone. Sort of like the trail community, people have to live with what they say, so they need to think before they say things - and if someone is far enough out there, the people will let them know, not some all powerfull admins.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Makes Sense

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock

Just FYI, we sort or prefer the way things work here. People may post some obviously cruel, stupid, or improper stuff, but we would rather leave such things up where ya'll can read them and then make a judgment yourself as to what sort a person someone is .
    Makes sense and sure wish I knew that one also… :-) I have one other question that should also go over to the Help forum, however, how come some member’s names are in red?
    Thanks

Images

The names that appear in red are the people that have signed up as the class of 2005 thru-hikers.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

American Idiot
    Images

We had a situation where someone was trolling on the site. He would say some very disturbing things, then later after dozens of people would post - blasting him for stuff he said, he would change his posts to look like he said something totally innocent, so that everyone after him looked stupid. To prevent this from happening ATTroll took away the edit function.

Just FYI, we sort or prefer the way things work here. People may post some obviously cruel, stupid, or improper stuff, but we would rather leave such things up where ya'll can read them and then make a judgment yourself as to what sort a person someone is rather that ATTroll and I always deleting posts and banning folks then ya'll wonder what the big deal was all about since the "evidence" is gone. Sort of like the trail community, people have to live with what they say, so they need to think before they say things - and if someone is far enough out there, the people will let them know, not some all powerfull admins.
    Wow, look at that, I quoted you. Even if there was an edit button, you could not edit that without admin status. Novel concept, eh?

I think the lack of an edit button is/was a lousy idea.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Relating this to a thruhike, I was amazed to find so much negativity on the trail. Competitiveness, high-school-esque cliques, vicious gossip - it wasn't anything like I'd expected. I didn't realize how much it was affecting my hike until I was hiking alone on the second half of my flipflop in the fall and was out from underneath it. Not that there aren't wonderful people on the trail, there definitely are, but there are jerks everywhere. For some reason I naively believed there'd be more wonderful people and fewer jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher
    Wow, look at that, I quoted you. Even if there was an edit button, you could not edit that without admin status. Novel concept, eh?

But it's a slippery slope. Who's to say the quote has not been altered in some way. If you don't put a reason for your edit, it doesn't show that it was edited.

I think the lack of an edit button is/was a lousy idea.
    Although I am inclined to agree with PP, who is an experienced internet tacticion and problem solver, there could be problems with the quote .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher
    Wow, look at that, I quoted you. Even if there was an edit button, you could not edit that without admin status. Novel concept, eh? Why no one could ever edit a quoted text and make it say something totally different than the original poster wrote. In fact they could NEVER and WOULD NEVER stoop to something so low. That would be totally unprofessional and no one that posts on this site ever acts like that....

I think the lack of an edit button is a great idea!
    Have I made my point?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Have I made my point?
    How do you spell that French sounding word, "touche" I believe?

Good one SGT.

Us folks here on whiteblaze are true professionals. But posting in the twisted quote thread could be hazardous so I shall exit now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++