WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cheap Home-made Camera Mount

I figured out an easy way to make a really light-weight camera mount (0.2 oz!) for my trekking poles. All you need is a 1/2" PEX plumbing pipe clamp, a 1/4-20 nylon bolt, and some JB-Weld. You can find all three at your local Ace Hardware.

Cut off one of the ears of the clamp and drill out the hole in the other ear large enough for the nylon bolt. Cut the nylon bolt to the proper size to bolt the clamp snugly to your camera, and then adjust the clamp to hold your camera in the correct orientation on your hiking pole. When you get it adjusted right, mark it and remove your camera, then use the JB-Weld to permanently attach the screw in that position on the clamp.

Turned one way, you should be able to mount the clamp in "portrait" mode on the handle end of a hiking pole, to form a "monopod". Turned the other way, you can also mount it "landscape" mode on the small end of your pole to take a picture of yourself, using your camera's timer.

See the pictures below.

Last edited by Harrison Bergeron; 01-17-2011 at 20:02.

Images

+10 great idea! I'll scavenge the parts from work tomorrow.
    -milkman

got soul?

thumb up!! thx for sharing!! love it
    what a clever idea!

Nice job, now I just have to figure out how to get my hiking pole to stay upright and not smash the camera when it falls over. Good idea.

Wow, that's perfect! I'm definitely gonna try this
    Thanks for sharing!

Images

Well done! I love improvised (lightweight) homemade gear.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Nice, very nice! I think I shall make a trip to my basement, I might just have what I need down there; If not the hardware store is on my way home from work. Thanks for posting.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Thanks for the idea. I'm making mine tonight.

Pound Hound and Garage Man

Harrison nice job,if you wanted to use in monopod,there is a hanger (samebrand)where the tabs(ears) run 90 degress or perpendicular to the run of the pipe,in the trade we call these mickey mouse hangers becuse they look like MM.again great find,i'll fashion one this week.

Can I ask a dumb question? Why exactly do people want to mount their camera on a monopod (trekking pole)? A tripod I understand (it stands up on its own). But why on a single pole?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Can I ask a dumb question? Why exactly do people want to mount their camera on a monopod (trekking pole)? A tripod I understand (it stands up on its own). But why on a single pole?
    I would try to use this as an extension of my arm to take a decent self-with-scenery shot without having to set my camera down in a precarious position and run to beat the timer. I’ve gotten very good at taking a picture of myself with one arm outstretched but it never comes out as well as I’d like (arm in the picture, too close to face and not enough background). Has anyone tried this?

Images

I guess I should have read all of the original post... looks like that was part of the concept. Anyone know how successful its been with self-portraits?

I find it helpful when I zoom in on a far object, it takes a little shakeiness out of play and produces a better picture (not blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I once edited some video I shot of a hiking trip and showed it to a professional.
    He said he wouldn't use any of the shots as I shook the camera too much.
    I got a hiking pole with a camera mount now.
    It helps a lot and I'm very aware now of any shaking that goes on.

Of course a tripod would be better but, who wants to carry more than they have to.

This is a great idea Harrison.
    Thanks
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Thanks for the info, been looking into something like this....love homemade!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I find it helpful when I zoom in on a far object, it takes a little shakeiness out of play and produces a better picture (not blurry.
    Which is why I find my homemade monopods increasingly helpful. At age 82 my hands shake more and more. A monopod, plus excellent shaking software on my Panasonic Lumix cameras, have added years to my photography endeavors.

Images

I've wondered why trekking poles don't come with an optional bolt on the top for the camera. You could easily make a tripod with two poles, a little paracord, and a tree. Make an inverted V out of the poles, then lean the V against the tree. I wouldn't try it with a SLR, but most of the p&s cameras are light.Great idea. I'm going to keep this one in mind.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I've wondered why trekking poles don't come with an optional bolt on the top for the camera.
    I've toyed with the idea of taking a drill to my BD hiking pole handle, and epoxying a 1/4" bolt in place with the threads sticking out the top. Be nice to find a a thin, round, knurled nut to tighten up against the camera body. Screw on a big acorn nut to protect myself. Hmmm ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

++ New Posts ++