WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Durable raingear

Is there any suggestions for some durable rain gear?

I need something to protect from the rain while hiking, fishing, and coaching athletics. I'm looking for a jacket and pants, no ponchos of any sort.

I fish in some pretty remote and rough terrian that involves a ton of climbing over rocks. It is where I'll be the roughest on a jacket.

I also don't want to spend a whole ton on this pair either. I can't afford to drop more than $100 on the jacket and about the same on the pants.

I highly doubt this is possible, but just maybe...

Images

Military goretex. It's about as bomber as it gets. You could probably get both for $50.

Does it come in non-camo?

Images

It does if you're willing to look around and probably pay a lot more.

How durable is the Marmot Precip?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Precip is pretty durable, I have used it on two LD hikes.

Hubby loves his dri ducks.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I'd buy some driducks in a heartbeat if I didn't have to use it for fishing also. They wouldn't last one day and there's no way I can afford to get two jackets.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Precip is pretty durable, I have used it on two LD hikes.

Hubby loves his dri ducks.
    Marmot Precip are more durable than the Driducks but the ducks are much cheaper.

The Precip doesn't breathe well enough to keep up with a sweating hiker. It's well ventilated, though, and tough. The waterproofing comes from a combination of a polyurethane inner coating and a durable water repellant treatment on the outside. The DWR is subject to wear and contamination by dirt, and when that happens, the water "sheets" (spreads by molecular cohesion) and makes the garment completely non-breathable. If the DWR is not replenished the fabric will eventually leak through. I've had trouble with the inner coating peeling off around the back of the neck with the three jackets I had (may have been fixed - I haven't owned one for three years).
    eVent fabric is supposed to be the most breathable waterproof fabric. I have an REI Shuksan jacket which is expensive, but it's durable. It still doesn't handle my sweat when I'm hiking all out in wet weather.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The Precip doesn't breathe well enough to keep up with a sweating hiker. It's well ventilated, though, and tough. The waterproofing comes from a combination of a polyurethane inner coating and a durable water repellant treatment on the outside. The DWR is subject to wear and contamination by dirt, and when that happens, the water "sheets" (spreads by molecular cohesion) and makes the garment completely non-breathable. If the DWR is not replenished the fabric will eventually leak through. I've had trouble with the inner coating peeling off around the back of the neck with the three jackets I had (may have been fixed - I haven't owned one for three years).
    eVent fabric is supposed to be the most breathable waterproof fabric. I have an REI Shuksan jacket which is expensive, but it's durable. It still doesn't handle my sweat when I'm hiking all out in wet weather.
    this is what I've heard. Would there be any options in the 150 range if I didn't get any pants to go with?

I wouldnt recomend dry ducks if you are going to be near any trees, my Girlfreind had a pair and ruined them on the first twig she came accross,
    as far as a recomendation, I cant help you, im in the process of trying to find good rain gear myself, I'll keep watching this thread.
    I currently have a Marmot, I dont know if its really waterproof or if im sweating in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BackTrack1 View Post
    I wouldnt recomend dry ducks if you are going to be near any trees, my Girlfreind had a pair and ruined them on the first twig she came accross,
    as far as a recomendation, I cant help you, im in the process of trying to find good rain gear myself, I'll keep watching this thread.
    I currently have a Marmot, I dont know if its really waterproof or if im sweating in there.
    have you tried the old put it over a bucket and put some water on it? it'll tell you if it's waterproof or water resistant or neither.

Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    Is there any suggestions for some durable rain gear?

I need something to protect from the rain while hiking, fishing, and coaching athletics. I'm looking for a jacket and pants, no ponchos of any sort.

I fish in some pretty remote and rough terrian that involves a ton of climbing over rocks. It is where I'll be the roughest on a jacket.

I also don't want to spend a whole ton on this pair either. I can't afford to drop more than $100 on the jacket and about the same on the pants.

I highly doubt this is possible, but just maybe...
    Given your price constraints the Precip is an excellent choice, good balance between breathability, durability and price. I used a Precip jacket for about 5 years before it wore out. I'm on my 2nd pair of precip pants.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

I have both the Precip and Dri-Ducks jacket. The Precip is very durable and use it on trips when I know I will encounter a lot of rain. The Dri-Ducks are used when I'm pretty sure that rain is unlikey but I have been caught out in downpours and they have held up great. Plus the dri-Ducks suit, jackets and pants, run about 15 bucks total. Dri-Ducks aren't the best for bushwacking but you don't need that.

my 2 cents
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Quote Originally Posted by sixguns01 View Post
    I have both the Precip and Dri-Ducks jacket. The Precip is very durable and use it on trips when I know I will encounter a lot of rain. The Dri-Ducks are used when I'm pretty sure that rain is unlikey but I have been caught out in downpours and they have held up great. Plus the dri-Ducks suit, jackets and pants, run about 15 bucks total. Dri-Ducks aren't the best for bushwacking but you don't need that.

my 2 cents

Well I know I won't be bushwacking on the AT, but I need a dual purpose jacket for fishing and yes I will be bushwacking and encountering many briars and rocky situations.

REDO!

Well I know I won't be bushwacking on the AT, but I need a dual purpose jacket for fishing and hiking. When I fish I will be bushwacking while fishing highland streams and will be encountering many briars and rocky situations.

Images

Basspro and cabelas have goretex paclite jackets for about 100 bucks. They are a tough option and about as cheap as it gets for unused real goretex. They don't have any pit zips, but the mesh pockets work semi-OK for ventilation. Bass Pro has them on closeout for 80$ Cabelas has them for 100

Images

Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    How durable is the Marmot Precip?
    precip is great, definitely durable enough for your purposes.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

mr crabs giving great advise. the cabela's jacket is actually a pretty sweet option.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Anybody know how much the cabelas jacket weighs? How small does it pack down?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++