WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hammock camping on an AT thru-hike

Have any of you used a hammock tent for a thru-hike? Did you have problems with that? I have a Clark NX-150 and love it. It's 3 lbs 6 oz, but when you figure you don't need a ground cloth or pad its not bad. It also has pockets on the outside that I stuff clothes, rain coat, and other supplies into to help insulate. I've used it in temps around 28-32 degrees, so understand what that is like. My concern is more in that I will have areas where finding a spot to hang it will be a problem. Due to lack of trees or certain regulations.

Any experience on this would be great appreciated. I am planning on starting a sobo hike in early June 2012..

I'm going to hammock it. the green tunnel won't provide problems for trees. and where you can't hammock, you can´t tent either. I don't think there are any more problems than that

apart from obviously looking after the trees you use.

Quote Originally Posted by ahuevo View Post
    apart from obviously looking after the trees you use.
    I use the tree straps, even though it adds a few ounces. They have worked great so far leat aving the trees as I left them.

Thanks for the info, and the reassurance. I've gotten so used to sleeping and sitting in the hammock. I have a lot less back pain in the morning and sleep more soundly.

There is a series of youtube video from a guy called Etherbud that did a thru-hike with a Hennessy Hammock, however it seems he was big into shelters and just used the hammock as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    Have any of you used a hammock tent for a thru-hike? Did you have problems with that? I have a Clark NX-150 and love it. It's 3 lbs 6 oz, but when you figure you don't need a ground cloth or pad its not bad. It also has pockets on the outside that I stuff clothes, rain coat, and other supplies into to help insulate. I've used it in temps around 28-32 degrees, so understand what that is like. My concern is more in that I will have areas where finding a spot to hang it will be a problem. Due to lack of trees or certain regulations.

Any experience on this would be great appreciated. I am planning on starting a sobo hike in early June 2012..
    Welcome to WB! If you search around the WB forums you'll see lots of existing threads on almost any subject. Re. hammocks, there's an entire series of threads here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Default Hammock Forum

Check out http://www.hammockforums.net/ for more info on hammocking the trail

Images

read "300 zeroes" he used a hammock

aka Kudzu
    Images

I can't imagine (or don't want to imagine) hiking w/o a hammock. Shelters certainly don't appeal to me for sleeping and neither does the ground.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Once you make it south later in the year it might get cold, but you'll def have enough trees!

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default Other gear

Don't forget the underquilt.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

I used a hammock for the whole way during my 2004 AT thru hike. No real problems. Sometimes you can hang inside a shelter, but be careful - during my Long Trail hike a guy managed to bring down a whole shelter by hanging from the corner and a outside tree.

Journal Entries
    Images

Attroll use his hammock all the way.Check his thru-hike out. http://www.youtube.com/user/attroll1

I did the southern 300 miles of the AT with a Clark North American last Spring and had no difficulties.

Those of you that have hiked the AT using a hammock, I wouldlike to know your personal system and how it handled the weather. I have hikedmost all of the Georgia sections many times, but have most always used a tent.My last three overnighters have been with a hammock and I have found I restbetter. I plan my hike for 2016, andwill be using a hammock for the whole hike, except for the GSMNP. Anyinformation and advice for using a hammock on the trail will be well received.
    Thanks.

Used my Clark N.A. the whole way on my 2012 AT thru hike. It lasted me 8 years. I just bought a new one. I used thermarest ridgerest pad. Hung it any place I saw fit. Kept me safe.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Susan "Hammock Hanger" Turner used a hammock for her entire thru and so have many others. In fact she used her hammock and so did two of my friends for their JMT thru which would be a much much greater hammock challenge than the green tunnel.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

You'll definately see hammocks on the AT.

Regarding saving weight on the sleeping pad. Keep in mind that a couple sections including the GSMNP and white mountains might require you to sleep in the shelters on wooden bunks. Sleeping pads are worth their weight in gold. Couple of the AT hostels also have wood bunks as well.

Since those sections are relatively small you could just mail yourself a pad for those sections.

You're basically stuck using a pad in a hammock if you're going to through hike in it I think (with wings on the side to keep you warm. Otherwise you have to carry your underquilt for when you hang, and lug around an extra pad for when you have to sleep on the ground - tough choice for many as most find underquilts MUCH more comfortable when sleeping in a hammock (besides the times when it's like -10º out when a pad can insulate better for the weight than an underquilt). I'm only planning on doing section hikes so YMMV on what you want to bring on your extended trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++