WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default if you could only do one thruhike in your lifetime...

What would it be? AT, PCT, CDT, other? I doubt I'll ever have seven months to take off from life again so I though I'd reach out for some people who've walked more than one and have some thoughts. I realize each trail has different strengths/weaknesses and choosing one is completely objective. That being said, I'm interested in what experienced hikers will choose and why.

Part of me leans toward the AT. It's friendly, close to home, and logistics seem simpler than other thruhikes.
    Another part of me leans toward the PCT or CDT because they are not close to home, and both seem a bit more wild and challenging. Also, I'm very familiar with the Whites, but not too much out west.
    I doubt I'll go international but if you could only pick one long hike and it happened to be outside of the US, I'd love to hear more.

Thanks!

Images

For me personally it would probably be the PCT. Although i am getting way ahead of myself now. I need to do a thru of the AT first.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

PCT for sure

Def PCT, no doubt

Reason i say PCT is because of the changing scenery and climate. The AT is great and my hike was incredible. The AT is one big party from GA to about PA if you are in the spring pack. I mean, on the PCT you start in the friggin sand, then you hit the Sierras and the Cascades. Much bigger Mountains to climb. If I could do another Thru, Id be on the PCT

Images

CDT. Seems like it would be a real adventure.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

PCT. I'm planning on getting a triple crown, but all on the PCT.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

CDT, not only is it incredibly scenic, it has by far the most wildlife of the three trails.

Images

PCT for me.

My dream hike outside of the US was done 10 yrs. ago...Nepal Himalayas. Spectacular!
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

I have not done a thru-hike but my choice would be the AT. It's a nostalgia thing with me. As a youngster living in East Tennessee I was fortunate enough to know men who helped build the trail through Tennessee and into Ga. I have heard stories about the AT as far back as I can remember. It is my dream that I can in a small way honor those people who dreamed and built the AT by someday hiking it in it's entirety.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Very interesting, so many PCT answers on the WB forum! Hiking the Himalayas would be phenomenal, I wish I had the budget for an adventure like that!
    I'm not sure what kind of experience I want from a thruhike. Something full of " trail magic" and fun people...or something solitary, different (never hiked a desert) and away from any safety nets I would have in the AT (family, friends, and familiarity with portions of the trail).
    I've been leaning toward the later but I'm not 100%.
    Thanks for all the posts, this is exactly what I was hoping for! Please keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I have not done a thru-hike but my choice would be the AT. It's a nostalgia thing with me. As a youngster living in East Tennessee I was fortunate enough to know men who helped build the trail through Tennessee and into Ga. I have heard stories about the AT as far back as I can remember. It is my dream that I can in a small way honor those people who dreamed and built the AT by someday hiking it in it's entirety.
    Much love! That's beautiful!

if you could only do one thruhike in your lifetime...

Banish the thought!!!

Via Alpina, Te Aroroa, PCT, CDT tops my list though!

Images

PCT. I've been dreaming about it since I was a Cub Scout.

Images

American Discovery

PCT over the AT, by far. CDT might be better, dunno yet, but it's generally considered to not be a good trail to start with. I.e., while a less experienced hiker can complete the CDT, it's recommended that folks do another trail first.

Before I had done any long trails I met a couple of folks who live in western states (like me) thru-hiking the AT. I asked them why they went across country for their first trail, and they said they had the impression that the AT is somehow easier, better as a first hike --- no waterless areas, no major snow challenges, that sort of thing.
    While admittedly I had had some experience with snow beforehand (not a lot), I nevertheless think their impressions were off-base; the PCT has its unique challenges, but so does the AT. I think that areas in the Whites and related can be as dangerous as most parts of the PCT.

In general, if you're a person who isn't sure whether you've got more than one thru-hike in you then I suggest doing the PCT first, unless because of where you live or for some other reason you just really want to do the AT.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

So sad to limit yourself like this.
    If you want the best, do the JMT, then the CO portion of the Colorado trail, Maine of the AT, the Pyrenees High Route (HRP), the Inca trail, and the Annapurna circuit.
    All combined would be like a thru-hike (5-6 months) and you would have so much more experiences than a single thru-hike on one of the big 3. Each one has it's boring sections and there are practically no boring sections on the trails i mention above.

Just make more time.
    A thru-hike is quality time.
    What is more important than that?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    So sad to limit yourself like this.
    If you want the best, do the JMT, then the CO portion of the Colorado trail, Maine of the AT, the Pyrenees High Route (HRP), the Inca trail, and the Annapurna circuit.
    All combined would be like a thru-hike (5-6 months) and you would have so much more experiences than a single thru-hike on one of the big 3. Each one has it's boring sections and there are practically no boring sections on the trails i mention above.

Just make more time.
    A thru-hike is quality time.
    What is more important than that?
    Sorry, that's supposed to say CO portion of the CDT. (2nd line above)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

My vote's the PCT, since the qualifier is "if you only have can make one thru-hike". I really wouldn't want to have tackled the CDT as my first and only thru-hike.

In fact, I'm hoping to interest my grandsons in a thru-hike in another 14 years to help me celebrate my 80th birthday. They are now 21 months, 29 months, and 5 years old. Whenever I visit with them, or they visit here, I recite the mantra, "In just 14 more years we're going to hike the PCT,----and you're going to help carry my food." Hah! Seriously, if I do repeat a thru-hike, it will be the PCT.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries

Default which thru?

I've thru'ed the AT and tried the PCT but had to get off at Sonora Pass, 1018 mi north of the border, north of Yosemite and the JMT. Have not been on the CDT (yet), but I would vote PCT 10 to 1 over the AT. The skills required are different, the challenge is greater, and the scenery is drop-dead gorgeous. I'm going back to Sonora Pass this summer and start north again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++