WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Neck knife

Images

for me all i used my knife for is cutting a summer sausage up or opening a package. A simple razor blade or swiss army classic is all you may need your spork will spread the nutella. You may also want a way to open up a beer bottle..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    Personal Choice ....
    Not quite what I was expecting, but can't argue with that!

Quote Originally Posted by AUhiker90 View Post
    for me all i used my knife for is cutting a summer sausage up or opening a package. A simple razor blade or swiss army classic is all you may need your spork will spread the nutella. You may also want a way to open up a beer bottle..
    I feel a knife (a good model that doesn't potentially add to the situation) is an emergency item; and a very important one at that. An insurance item. A matter of better safety. A SA Classic or razor blade can surely suffice for the more common, "use it because I got it" tasks. Like most things involving safety precautions, it all depends on how much you want to gamble in the situation. Not anyone else's business.

Journal Entries
    Images

by far the strangest thread about a bear footed hippie...I liked Dual Survival...

http://codylundin.com/
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TYREYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TYREYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TYREYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TYREYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]www.newtlivesayknives.com
    this guy is a retired special forces soldier and in his 60's . He makes great neck knives as well as other knives. but he makes some knives out of titanium and all hikers are looking for is lower weight.

I'm a Becker Necker fan as well. But for hiking,I really like a swiss army knife with a small pair of scissors for cutting moleskin, first aid tape, etc. The other great thing about proper swiss army knives (not the cheap copies) is good steel and an easily honed blade profile.

Neck carry is not convenient under a T-shirt. Too difficult to get to. I used paracord on my Becker to set up belt carry on the sheath. I can carry horizontal or vertical. Or strap it to a pack strap or waistbelt. Again, good steel, holds an edge well, pretty readily honed. The blade is sturdy and can put up with some prying and rough and dirty gouge work as well.

My daily carry knife is a Zero Tolerance ZT301. Damned nice knife, tough as can be for a folder, but rather huge. A good choice for a pocket machete (which is a sort of job requirement for me.) It's also damned expensive, American made and guaranteed for life. NOT a hiker's knife. It's a cops knife or a soldier's or a forester/arborists knife.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Journal Entries
    Images

kaala-openhand.jpg
    BUCK 151 KAALA MAYO

I came across this when I was doing a little research on stainless steel alloys. It's made of S30V (a fairly high end, high alloy stainless steel).
    David Smolinski

Check out ESEE Izula. Great knives and an awesome warranty.

If you get a "Red" neck knife be ready for a little jazzing.

Images

Cody is cool. I just do not see having anything hanging around my neck while backpacking. A few years ago my mother in law got me a subscription to National Geographic, and with it came a knife in a yellow caribiner. Light, works great, good grip, hangs on the outside of the pack - easy access. Also carry a single edge razor blade.

Combo works great..........have not needed the razor blade, yet.

Images

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kershaw-Mini...-/310336538456

This would be hard to beat, gets the job done, cheap, Kershaw!

Buy 3 at this price and give away a few as gifts............

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    I'm looking for a good knife that can be worn around the neck, something like what cody lundin uses ...

Any suggestions?

I kinda like that TOPS Knives Shango Neck Knife 2-3/4" Blade, not really looking for a skeletal handle tho ...
    CRKT or Gerber makes excellent neck knives

Journal Entries
    Images

I guess I am not ready for a neck knife, I prefer something on the hip or connected to the pack with a clip or just in my pocket... I am a nice guy (I hope you agree) and I do not want folks to see or focus on something I have around my neck... I'm just not ready for that. just my opinion.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

ESEE Izula 2. If your hands aren't huge then Izula. ESEE is just great for the price.

Cody uses a mora I have upgraded to a Crawford staff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++