WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    i like vomit smell in a tent. leave it.
    Yeah, nothin' like bringin' back the olfactory reminder of going on a bender with a couple of handles of cheap bourbon and barfing all over the inside of the tent. AH, the good ol' days.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I believe the last resort is fire & burial
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

I agree. Time for a Viking Funeral. I'll supply the mead.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone View Post
    The vomit smell is the water proofing breaking down nothing you can do for it. We have 10 troop tents in that state currently.

here is the reference from campmor......Line 31

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...___tentinfo#31

Good find Lostone!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

There are some good ideas here about getting it out, accept for ditching it. Stupid idea! Keep it, try some of the (positive) ideas that have been mentioned (baking soda, burying). It might work and is worth a try. Why not? You have it, have an interest in it, a desire to make it good so go for it! There is only one way to know how well it would work, and that is to finish the project and get a result. Good luck! Sounds fun and challenging. How cool would it be if you got the smell out. If its leaking water, then you have a non smelly vintage tent for the hell of it. Maybe you could set it up in the yard or out on a night you know it won't (hopefully) rain. Again, why not?
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone View Post
    The vomit smell is the water proofing breaking down nothing you can do for it. We have 10 troop tents in that state currently.

here is the reference from campmor......Line 31

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...___tentinfo#31
    Okay, the part I find amusing from the link is, "Campmor scientists are feverishly working on the problem but you might need a new tent. If we come up with any solution we will let you know."

Campmor has scientists? That there's funny - I don't care who you are.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I owned a tent that had that smell to it. I tried hand washing it with NikWax and the waterproof coating started coming off. The tent was pretty much ruined but thankfully the manufacturer replaced it with a new one for free.

Quote Originally Posted by mykl View Post
    There are some good ideas here about getting it out, accept for ditching it. Stupid idea! Keep it, try some of the (positive) ideas that have been mentioned (baking soda, burying). It might work and is worth a try. Why not? You have it, have an interest in it, a desire to make it good so go for it! There is only one way to know how well it would work, and that is to finish the project and get a result. Good luck! Sounds fun and challenging. How cool would it be if you got the smell out. If its leaking water, then you have a non smelly vintage tent for the hell of it. Maybe you could set it up in the yard or out on a night you know it won't (hopefully) rain. Again, why not?
    Because anyone who has been in the same situation has tried and tried and labored and treated and declared their time worth more than all that effort and bought a new tent that's rainproof?

PU just does not last forever. It's easier to re-treat silicone impregnated nylon than a PU tent.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Okay, the part I find amusing from the link is, "Campmor scientists are feverishly working on the problem but you might need a new tent. If we come up with any solution we will let you know."

Campmor has scientists? That there's funny - I don't care who you are.
    Obama& Democrats did stop funding to Nasa on a huge scale, and shut down the shuttle program. so much for saving jobs...
    Some scientist will be showing up at Campmor soon...No kidding ,,, here is the source..

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...2061285951125/

MAD scientist....
    http://search.gifts.com/find/campmor...ad%20scientist
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yeah, nothin' like bringin' back the olfactory reminder of going on a bender with a couple of handles of cheap bourbon and barfing all over the inside of the tent. AH, the good ol' days.
    'Round these parts I call that "Thursday".
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

I have an old Eureka Timberline with the same problem. I put it in the washing machine and set it up outside to day/air out. It passed the hose test for waterproofing. Still smelled bad, but was better. I will replace eventually, but can't afford to get all new equipment at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Obama& Democrats did stop funding to Nasa on a huge scale, and shut down the shuttle program. so much for saving jobs...
    Some scientist will be showing up at Campmor soon...No kidding ,,, here is the source..

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...2061285951125/

MAD scientist....
    http://search.gifts.com/find/campmor...ad%20scientist
    9,000 more jobs will go when the Space Shuttle last mission ends later this year.

In the late 1960's, the end of the Apollo moon program cost the economy close to 1,000,000 jobs.

Aerojet corporation lost over 100,000 jobs and thousands of ex-employee homes in Sacramento CA were simply abandoned because of lack of work and no future for that many new jobs in the area.

While things are pretty bad n ow, they aren't as terrible as they once were.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Because anyone who has been in the same situation has tried and tried and labored and treated and declared their time worth more than all that effort and bought a new tent that's rainproof?

PU just does not last forever. It's easier to re-treat silicone impregnated nylon than a PU tent.
    But you didn't think of the fact that this is something someone is interested in doing, for their own reasons. Why not be positive and supportive? Ravenleg is looking for suggestions, not ideas on how to use their time.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

This thread stinks.
    ad astra per aspera

Had old Timberline 2 that was delaminating on the floor only, fly was fine. Tried a few of the ones here, washing, baking soda, febreze, then recoating the area. Never could get the smell out, was way better, but still there, and I couldn't stand it. Had to go, good luck. Was great tent, lots of use, never wet once inside.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    9,000 more jobs will go when the Space Shuttle last mission ends later this year.

In the late 1960's, the end of the Apollo moon program cost the economy close to 1,000,000 jobs.

Aerojet corporation lost over 100,000 jobs and thousands of ex-employee homes in Sacramento CA were simply abandoned because of lack of work and no future for that many new jobs in the area.

While things are pretty bad n ow, they aren't as terrible as they once were.
    Not many remember those days, I do, Amazing how events repeat themselves, its going to get worse... I hear in 2012 we can stop paying on our mortgage, or there are going to be a lot of disapointed Maya.....

Woo

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Not many remember those days, I do, Amazing how events repeat themselves, its going to get worse... I hear in 2012 we can stop paying on our mortgage, or there are going to be a lot of disapointed Maya.....
    Ares, while a great program if it was carried through to it's logical conclusion(manned mission to Mars) was hugely expensive for what it would have been used for. For the Likely uses of Ares Lockheed's Venturestar (which was a reusable SSTO) would have been better. Bush killed that.

Now, this isn't an attack on either Obama or Bush(although I have criticisms on both administration), but more of a commentary on how if a NASA program cannot produce a finish product within one administration it is in a lot of danger of being cancelled. Obama killed Ares. Bush killed Venturestar. Clinton killed Space Station Freedom(which would have been a "one piece launch in one go with a new heavy-lift vehicle") for a dozens-of-launches ISS in the name of "International Cooperation" and keeping the Russian space program on life support.

It is just a sad, sad fact of life that most government programs that require something tangible(as in hardware related, not SS or medicare) tend to be killed when a new Administration comes into office. The "overbudget, underperforming program" is killed so that a "new innovative program" with Obamas/Bushs/Clintons/Bushs-again stamp on it will succeed even though really we're just starting development all over and generating more costs.

Am I bitter about working in the Military-Industrial complex? Maybe....
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    Ares, while a great program if it was carried through to it's logical conclusion(manned mission to Mars) was hugely expensive for what it would have been used for. For the Likely uses of Ares Lockheed's Venturestar (which was a reusable SSTO) would have been better. Bush killed that.

Now, this isn't an attack on either Obama or Bush(although I have criticisms on both administration), but more of a commentary on how if a NASA program cannot produce a finish product within one administration it is in a lot of danger of being cancelled. Obama killed Ares. Bush killed Venturestar. Clinton killed Space Station Freedom(which would have been a "one piece launch in one go with a new heavy-lift vehicle") for a dozens-of-launches ISS in the name of "International Cooperation" and keeping the Russian space program on life support.

It is just a sad, sad fact of life that most government programs that require something tangible(as in hardware related, not SS or medicare) tend to be killed when a new Administration comes into office. The "overbudget, underperforming program" is killed so that a "new innovative program" with Obamas/Bushs/Clintons/Bushs-again stamp on it will succeed even though really we're just starting development all over and generating more costs.

Am I bitter about working in the Military-Industrial complex? Maybe....
    if your on the Drone program you should be exstatic since they got a great contract this summer....FYI
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    if your on the Drone program you should be exstatic since they got a great contract this summer....FYI
    Nah, I'm a Comms goon. "Cyberwarfare" is the new thing, Bush grabbed onto it and (fortunately for me)Obama is sticking to it in a rare moment of continuity across administrations.

But my point still stands, if you want something hardware related in the US Military/NASA you generally have to have a finished product by the end of the Administration, else the program will get killed by the incoming administration and money spent one something else(whose specifications are remarkably close to what the program that was cancelled, but whelp we're starting from a blank slate).

Meanwhile we sit around going "Man! The Park Service is totally underfunded! Why is that?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++