WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default NC 261 to Carvers Gap- Road Conditions as of 1-22-11

Planning on going up to Carvers Gap within the next week or so, any word on the condition of NC261? Usually it is well maintained in the winter, but there has been quite a bit more snow this year. Any updates appreciated for this week (Jan 22- Jan 30).

ed
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is an incoming winter storm coming through. I would contact Roan Mtn State Park, Cherokee/Pisgah Forest Service offices, CeeCee at Greasy Creek Friendly, or Mtn Harbour B&B.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

There is a Facebook page about Carver's Gap/Roan Mountain that mentions the road conditions on occasion.

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

i was up at carvers gap wed. its all clear except maybe the last mile or two then its pretty bad but they were scraping it. Note------ i did drive all the way too top and back out. i was gonna hike to iron mt gap but didnt get too

Images

The road might get cleared,but I don't think that ayone is working on clearing about 2' of snow from the trail...got snowshoes?....

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    The road might get cleared,but I don't think that ayone is working on clearing about 2' of snow from the trail...got snowshoes?....
    I wouldn't want to hike from Roan Mt. to Iron Mt. Gap myself....

Though I am thinking of hiking from Sam's Gap to Spivey's Gap tomorrow - or at least trying. I bet Big Bald still has some snow on top..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Nah, no snowshoes. Not breaking new ground on unused trail after a serious dump. Heard from another source that there have been more winter travelers with snowshoes up there this winter than they had ever seen. Put a serious pack-down on most of the trails leading out of the Gap. Been up there for quick trips in winter for years, just wondering about up to date road conditions on the NC side of the Gap. Might have a non-4WD vehicle along.

Images

The area is getting hit with snow today.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    The area is getting hit with snow today.
    3-6 inches today...probably more like 6-8 at Carvers Gap...with less coming down the road from the high pass. I'm pretty sure the road crossing there is one of the highest along the AT....Newfound Gap is probably in the same ballpark.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    3-6 inches today...probably more like 6-8 at Carvers Gap...with less coming down the road from the high pass. I'm pretty sure the road crossing there is one of the highest along the AT....Newfound Gap is probably in the same ballpark.
    Well, got curious and checked, Newfound Gap- around 5,000 feet. Carvers Gap- around 5,500 feet.

I might try to get up there sat or sun. Depends on the snow expected friday. I have heard that NC roads are cleared faster, can anyone confirm that? I usually try from TN which is also the north side so less sun anyway.
    I was also ondering if anyone had tried getting up to Yellow Gap via the Overmountain Vioctory Trail this winter (since the heavy snows)?

Images

NC 261 all clear, all the way up to Carvers Gap....Parking lot, as usual, not clear at all. Note to those who have never been there in winter before: be very careful where you allow your wheels to go when improvising a parking place, there are hidden dips that can get you stuck in a second...saw it happen to someone in a spot that seemed OK.

++ New Posts ++