WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Default Freezer Bag Cooking Without The Bag

Anyone ever tried the FBC method while leaving the food in its original bag?
    I cooked a Knorrs Rice Sides the other day in the original package. I just cut the bad as close to the top as possible, poured in the boiling water, folded the top over and paper clipped in closed. Wrapped it in a towel and waited 15 minutes. Rice turned out fine and I didn't have to waste a freezer bag. Sure seems this would be a lot easier than opening packages and transferring the contents into plastic bags. Less fuss and waste.

Yes. It works. Do you get more chemicals from the Knorr bag than you do from the freezer bag? I don't know. I feel better using my cook pot and saving all those plastic trees.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Took some dehydrated hash browns to make a Mountain Man breakfast on an overnighter one time. Figured I could use boiling water to rehydrate them prior to cooking (following the directions) by pouring the water into the bag. Didn't realize it was just paper. It disintegrated instantly. We scooped enough off the pile to make breakfast, but lesson learned.

My sons usually have Lipton noodle or rice dinners and just pour the hot water into the package, fold down the top and let sit for 5-8 minutes, then eat right out of the package.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

I use a reflectix covered ziploc container or an insulated mug so I can keep the bags clean for next trip. Since I make and bag my own food, I don't have manufacturer's packing to repurpose.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    My sons usually have Lipton noodle or rice dinners and just pour the hot water into the package, fold down the top and let sit for 5-8 minutes, then eat right out of the package.
    I will do this as well. First, I will shake the bag upside down so all of the powders and spices get untrapped from the bag's bottom corners. This makes the powder and spices easier to dissolve and decreases the unpleasant spoonfuls of two noodles and a tablespoon of salt.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Procras108r View Post
    I will do this as well. First, I will shake the bag upside down so all of the powders and spices get untrapped from the bag's bottom corners. This makes the powder and spices easier to dissolve and decreases the unpleasant spoonfuls of two noodles and a tablespoon of salt.
    Great tip, shake before opening!

Yes Don, before openning. Shake the Knorr's upside down or better yet, carry it that way. Now, when you open the package, the powders and spices are sitting on top of the noodles or rice. More of the powders and spices will get dissolved fully.

Simply, add enough hot water to cover the mixture and then a small amount more. Fold over the package and wait five minutes. Squeeze the package to feel if it is done. A mushy feel means the water has not been completely absorbed. Works for me. Rice does much better than noodles. Just remember to cut the bag as high as you possibly can so you have enough to fold it.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Hikes in Rain has a good point, you should only do this with the right kind of packaging. I tried it once with oatmeal and the wax lining ended up in my breakfast.

Knorrs noodles cook thru enough? What about the sauce does that thicken too???
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I use a variation of freezer bag cooking. I make and dehydrate soup frequently during the winter. The single servings are stored in quart freezer bags in the freezer.
    When I'm backpacking I boil the water but I would prefer to eat out of a cup or bowl. So I pour the dehydrated soup into my cup or bowl, pour in the hot water and insulate for about 15 minutes. The bowl or cup and spoon take very little hot water to clean. When I get home I wash the freezer bags to use again.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Knorrs noodles cook thru enough? What about the sauce does that thicken too???
    The noodles cook OK but the sauce has a tendency to not thicken like it does when you simmer it. I stay away from the Knorrs Pasta Sides and go mostly with the rice ones. Also instant potatoes and Stove Top Stuffing work well. Of course the stuffing needs to be repackaged, unless you can eat a whole box!

Some packages work fine for adding boiling water, but I always carry a few extra freezer bags, just in case.

Don, if I am hungry enough, I can eat Knorr's noodles as a FBC. It always seems the noodles taste like a doughy paste. Do they seem the same to you....or do you have a suggestion to overcome this?

Don, if I am hungry enough, I can eat Knorr's noodles as a FBC. It always seems the noodles taste like a doughy paste. Do they seem the same to you....or do you have a suggestion to overcome this?
    Precooking, rinsing, then dehydrating the noodles can get rid of the pastiness. It does require more effort ahead of time.

-FA

I tried this at home the other night with a bow tie noodle side. First off, there was barely enough room for all the water. I stood it up in a pan to keep it from tipping over. Waited more than 15 minutes and it was still no where near cooked. I can't imagine waiting for it to cook after a long day of hiking on a cool/cold night. I finally reverted to boiling it in the pan and then ate it.

Maybe a different style would work better. Something with a smaller noodle?

What do you guys pay for these? I bought one at my local grocery chain and think I paid about $2. Found them at Walmart for $1 tonight. I am not a regular Walmart shopper so I was surprised.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I just eat it however it turns out which is as you described a "doughy paste" with runny sauce. Mmm, Mmm Good!.

Seems like for the lack of a pot to clean, many folks put up with incompletely hydrated and cooked food, potential chemicals leached from plastic bags or package liners, and heavier trash to pack out.

I'll stick with my pot. Cook the food completely, eat the food, scrape as best I can with my spork, then use whatever hot drink I'm drinking to suspend uneaten food particles and drink those down (human "sumping"). Pot ends up almost completely clean and next meal's boiling water sterilizes it. No gummy food in the corners of bags creating a heavier trash bundle over several days.

Just my 2 sense.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The only food I have a problem with cooking is the pasta meals, so I just avoid them.

Chemicals being leached into the food from freezer bags has been discussed here before. If I recall it was largely discounted. I don't think there's much difference between pouring hot water in a Knorr's Rice bag or a Mountain House dehydrated dinner bag.

If I'm eating out of the original package how am I creating heavier or more trash?

I find it easier and more convenient.

The great thing about hiking is you get to do it you own way.

You have more to worry about the crap in the packaged side dishes than the method used to cook it. Seriously.....they are over priced bags of salt and MSG.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++