WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Question Duration of hike

What usualy happens to a web site when the webmaster goes on an extended leave of absence? Just curious

Images

Depends on how the site is set up. There are web pages like wings that haven't been maintained in years but are still up. A forum will just about run itself with the right software even without a moderator. Occasionally there may be issues that would require intervention, but that might not happen for months or years. The more important issue is paying the bills to keep the site rolling.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow. Does that mean we can all log back onto his web site while he is thru-hiking and will not get kicked off? He will probably check his web site in all the trail towns he stops in. He better not induldge in any trail magic. Remember he is totally against it.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Registered Troll
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Wow. Does that mean we can all log back onto his web site while he is thru-hiking and will not get kicked off? He will probably check his web site in all the trail towns he stops in. He better not induldge in any trail magic. Remember he is totally against it.
    He'll probably have one of his gay buddies patrol the site while he's on the trail, with a blacklist of persona non grata.

Images

If I only attempted to give trail magic but no hikers showed up, am Iguilt of conspiracy to perform trail magic?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    LOL ATTROLL-he kicked me off! YOu TOO?!
    cheers.
    Oldfivetango

Default Make that Two

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Thanks food. Nice to be wanted. A fan club of one.
    MAke that TWO sir.
    Oldfivetango

Until I complete my study at Gallaudet U. Deafsmart's Avatar

Angry That's it-I'm disqust of Wingfoot

After I read halfway on compartive and restraint rants on this man in this thread, I went over to tp.com (which I haven't bother for 2 weeks. I am shock at one of my post started by NWFLHillBilly I interpret this as a threat; I would steer my chiildren away from this pure sick-mind wacko who wants us to see his thinly clothes garment at his website. There is no such thing as "we'; I seriously cast doubt if anyone work for him. Outset of his cruelity and rude remark but abide only to his very own, will have serious ramification along Appalachian Mountain region.

For the record: I never stated what political platform I am in. It seems this man in egotistic vain has text-blinded (oppose of being color-blind). His background, mentioned elsewhere, sum to all passage of wording and the very description of false god of AT is fitting. Don't bother to buy his book, instead, do plan on get Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion, (and you can also download free The Online Companion. Not-for Profit Organization (The Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association-off-trail family of fellow hikers) or For Profit Organization (The Center for Appalachian Trail Studies-specialty publishing house and information clearinghouse), take your pick.

Now to the floor show:
    f you support George W. Bush, you really aren't welcome here unless you keep your mouth shut about him. That's my personal decision as webmaster. On the A.T. I don't talk about politics, but this isn't the Trail but instead a website offered at no cost to users, so I set the rules.

Apart from the fact that Bush is an environmental disaster, the reason I don't like Bush is that I don't like liars, here on Trailplace or in the White House. You know how you can tell that GWB is lying? His lips are moving.

As for Republicans, I remember when the Republican Party really stood for decency and honor, but that went out the door with Ronald Reagan, who was a poor excuse for a president, and GWB is even worse. There are still some decent Republicans who do not like Bush, and I sympathize with them.

If you are gay or HIV+, feel free to say so here. I wouldn't ask a married couple to hide their marriage, or a cancer patient to hide their disease, and I don't expect gays to hide who they are either. There are some who may not like it, but they can get over it or leave.

I hope this is clear enough.

George W. Bush says America is at war. However, Bush himself isn't. Instead, he is enjoying a leisurely 5-week vacation on his ranch in Texas. So far, during this Bush vacation (he's taken the most vacations of any U.S. president ever), 46 American soldiers and marines have died in Iraq!
    Hump, what a noisemaker
    DEAFSMART * /GA\:: /\2006/\ : ;/ME\ :
    While I am about to be struck with this name and this is not trail-given name for me personally, I am more incline for your feedback and comment on what formal trail name should I acquire. Deafsmart, the name came from my grade school days.

Until I complete my study at Gallaudet U. Deafsmart's Avatar

Question Delist myself, how?

If I couldn't find a way to cancel/close my Trailplace account, he would have kick me out anyhow. I am done for today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafsmart
    After I read halfway on compartive and restraint rants on this man in this thread, I went over to tp.com (which I haven't bother for 2 weeks. I am shock at one of my post started by NWFLHillBilly I interpret this as a threat; I would steer my chiildren away from this pure sick-mind wacko who wants us....
    DEAFSMART * /GA\:: /\2006/\ : ;/ME\ :
    While I am about to be struck with this name and this is not trail-given name for me personally, I am more incline for your feedback and comment on what formal trail name should I acquire. Deafsmart, the name came from my grade school days.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafsmart
    I interpret this as a threat
    I looked at the quote and the referenced thread over and over again. WF said something that you interpret as a threat? Am I understanding you correctly?

I can see where he stated his opinions about George Bush, something that we have the right to do in the USA, and I can see where he states that anyone who wants to praise Bush isn't welcome on his site, you might think he is an ass for feeling this way, but hey, it is his site, but I can't find anything at all threatening in anything that he said.

If you did find something threatening in WF's statements then you might very well be the most paranoid person I have met, heck you might be even more paranoid than WF himself

Don't all of you who love to bash WF realize that by doing so all you have really managed to do is give trailplace some free advertising?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan

You want to read insults here. Just say you hike with a dog and watch the insults fly. Oops, gotta go....incoming!
    While carrying a gun and a cell-phone...
    Just hike.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

This ( and the posts found when searching for "Wingfoot") was enlightening. I bought his 2003 book in preparation for the section hiking. I was thinking of getting the 2006 version, but have changed my mind. Could anyone recommend an alternative? I know there is one on the Net, but I'd like to have a tote-able printed version.

The Thru-Hikers Companion www.aldha.org

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    This ( and the posts found when searching for "Wingfoot") was enlightening.
    Don't believe everything you read. Especially on the internet.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just like Max Patch said "Don't believe everyhting you read about Wingfoot". I have chatted with the guy and he seems like a real nice guy. I have never had any real issues with him. I don't agree with how he does some things. But that is his choice and his life and that is how he wishes to do things. I think everyone has there own quirks that others don't like. Sometimes I wonder if the internet did not exist would be still be talking bad about Wingfoot? I doubt it. The only reason we all seem to talk bad about him is because of how he runs his web site. If he did not run a web site then I sometimes I wonder, would we have anything to complain about him, would we?

Don't get me wrong here I am not taking sides just making a statement.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Just to add to that, although I am an ALDHA member and a supporter of them, I personally feel that the Thru-Hiker handbook's lay out it better than the Companion lay out. You can make the decision not to buy WFs book because you don't like him, that is always anyones business. I've also chatted with WF and I like him for the most part, I just think he needs another partner admin like I do to keep me in check

Hopefully someday ALDHA makes either another book, or changes the lay out of the Companion.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Guys, it was the stuff on his site that lead to my decision. This site just pointed me to his site.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Hopefully someday ALDHA makes either another book, or changes the lay out of the Companion.
    For the most part, the data in either book is public domain and to my knowledge isn't copyrightable. I suggest the ALDHA Companion use the same format, with mileage details upfront and town/resupply and flora and fauna info in the back.

Sure it will be a rip-off, but no more so then WF did when he used databook to change his format.

I'd also get rid of the spriral binding and make the mileage info and each town section seperately bound and easily pulled from the main binding.
    Last edited by Sly; 08-13-2005 at 22:53.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    For the most part, the data in either book is public domain and to my knowledge isn't copyrightable. I suggest the ALDHA Companion use the same format, with mileage details upfront and town/resupply and flora and fauna info in the back.

Sure it will be a rip-off, but no more so then WF did when he used databook to change his format.

I'd also get rid of the spriral binding and make the mileage info and each town section seperately bound and easily pulled from the main binding.
    I tend to agree with your assessment Sly. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how the Companion even worked the first time I picked it up. I would like to see a lay out that had the data for the stuff exactly how you see it with the miles as you go along, sort of how WF did the 2002 guide. I also think that the ATC would be happy to support ALDHA since they give money from their sales of the Companion back to the ATC.

Mostly what I would like to see is a database where people can select the level of detail and lay out they prefer and then print off their own book for their hiking style, but that is another subject.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

While I dont agree with WFs political and social views. he does put together a good trail guide. I have bought his book every year Ive hiked since 1999, and will continue to buy it until someone else can put one together that gives all the info in a readable format like his.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++