WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Found a really good trail coffee.

For those, like me, that can't start the day without a cup of joe, or two, or three..

I consider coffee a luxury trail item that I refuse to leave behind. Being a coffee fan(atic) I had considered instant but couldn't swallow the Sanka flavor. I had also considered the little "starbuck's" instant packs, but couldn't swallow the cost. Yes, its cheaper than buying it at the counter but $3/3 cups a day is a bit expensive when you consider a thru-hike. I also looked at camping pots, french presses, filters, screens but can't deal with the added weight/bulk.

I found a delicious alternative. Great flavor and even better price. Community Coffee (a staple brand in Louisiana) has their New Orleans flavor in instant form for about $6/container. The 7oz container makes 20 STRONG cups or 30 normal cups of coffee. Bringing the average cost to about $.25/cup.

If you are interested here is the link.... New Orleans Blendhttp://communitycoffee.com/product/O...Instant-Coffee

Medium Roast... http://communitycoffee.com/product/O...Instant-Coffee

Decaf... http://communitycoffee.com/product/O...Instant-Coffee

If you sign up for their emails (about 1 email or less per week) they run free shipping promos all the time.

On another note, I plan to mix my coffee/creamer/sweetener proportionately for a simple spoon and stir mix as well as to cut down on trash and packaging weight.

Your thoughts and comments?..................
    Last edited by Gipsy; 01-25-2011 at 19:41.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Thanks for the info! I'm going to have to check them out! You're right, Starbucks is WAY too expensive.

Images

I like Java Juice. I don't need to have super strong coffee, so I can easily get two full cups from one packet of regular coffee, making it .50/cup or less, depending on the deals I can find on Amazon. It's real concentrated perked coffee liquid, not instant granules or powder. I don't use cream or sugar.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I carry Maxwell House coffee singles .. cheap, light, better than instant.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    I carry Maxwell House coffee singles .. cheap, light, better than instant.
    Folgers Singles here.. As good as I've been able to find for the woods.

I premix instant creamer and sugar - if I have extra I dump some in my oatmeal.

BTW, it doesn't matter how good the coffee is, instant creamer will screw it up. Folger's Single and instant creamer is about the perfect ratio of good/bad.. If I paid any more for the coffee it'd just be throwing money way. Kinda like mixing good whiskey with diet coke.

Images

I bring (brought?? Haven't hiked in forever!) my fresh roasted, fresh ground (sometimes on the trail with my little Campmore grinder) coffee, made into Cowboy coffee. Oh, baby, that's good coffee.

Images

I have had (and do like) Cowboy/iron man coffee. I just never liked the appearance as if I had ridden a Harley through a swarm of gnats while smiling.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Journal Entries
    Images

FYI- Remember if your ever are between Hot Springs & Erwin & get a hankerin for some fresh Joe, Hemlock Hollow has about 100 flavors of fresh coffee, ground to your specs + 50 or more teas
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Hike smarter, not harder.

I think if you make coffee for people who don't like the taste of coffee by using sweetner/creamer, you're not a coffee fanatic. Ha!
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Thumbs up

Didn't know that. Thanks for the great tip, boots!

Gipsy

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I think if you make coffee for people who don't like the taste of coffee by using sweetner/creamer, you're not a coffee fanatic. Ha!
    Half and half w/ real sugar for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gipsy View Post
    I have had (and do like) Cowboy/iron man coffee. I just never liked the appearance as if I had ridden a Harley through a swarm of gnats while smiling.
    Can't argue with that! But it sure does taste good. And since I brush after breakfast and coffee.....

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

For those, like me, that can't start the day without a cup of joe, or two, or three..

I consider coffee a luxury trail item that I refuse to leave behind. Being a coffee fan(atic) I had considered instant but couldn't swallow the Sanka flavor. I had also considered the little "starbuck's" instant packs, but couldn't swallow the cost. Yes, its cheaper than buying it at the counter but $3/3 cups a day is a bit expensive when you consider a thru-hike. I also looked at camping pots, french presses, filters, screens but can't deal with the added weight/bulk.

I found a delicious alternative. Great flavor and even better price. Community Coffee (a staple brand in Louisiana) has their New Orleans flavor in instant form for about $6/container. The 7oz container makes 20 STRONG cups or 30 normal cups of coffee. Bringing the average cost to about $.25/cup.

If you are interested here is the link.... New Orleans Blendhttp://communitycoffee.com/product/O...Instant-Coffee

Thank you for this very important thread. Coffee . . . good coffee . . . is the secret to beginning the day with a happy outlook regardless of what the outlook is on the trail. In 1999 I went decaf and no coffee at all. I hiked like a zombie, which definitely is not a lively way to trek on. Then somehwere along the way, I discovered the Folgers packets. I'd use two per cup. Still they were insipid cups of coffee.

I like mine black and strong. So, when trying to solve the dilemma of how to ENJOY my morning shot of caffeine, I have been considering if I could stand instant as opposed to freeze dried. I have considered taking regualr grind with filters. That's too much trouble when one is trying to get going on down the trail. Then there is Kona freeze dried. That I am going to research.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? If one can, And I'll give your brand a try too.

--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Also, I have considered green tea.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

One thing I have tried and enjoyed off trail(havenot had the chance to take it with me yet) is chocolate dipped coffee beans. The beans are dry and lite, plus no fuel/ water needed to brew. Still need to field-test this.
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

Images

Wonder if I chewed up those coffee beans, poured hot water in my mouth, and swished a little if it would make fresh coffee?

Gipsy

Images

Strong and hot... coffee and the women
    Simple is good.

Images

Ground-up and in the freezer! Thats how I like to store mine....... coffee & women also!

Gipsy

Community Coffee, can't start the day without it.

I found a delicious alternative. Great flavor and even better price. Community Coffee (a staple brand in Louisiana) has their New Orleans flavor in instant form .... On another note, I plan to mix my coffee/creamer/sweetener proportionately for a simple spoon and stir mix as well as to cut down on trash and packaging weight.

Community coffee is certainly a staple at my house; but no chickory, please. And I prefer it black. Since you are making a mix anyway, in a previous life I liked a French roast mix from GF for my camping:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General..._International

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++