WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Vibram five fingers and a NOBO thru?

Hi.

Im planning a thru hike for this year and ill be starting roughly around the middle of march, if all goes well, and i recently baught a pair of fivefinger trek sports just to try them out and see what all the fuss is about. I LOVE THEM most comfortable shoe i have ever worn, but with it being gross, wet and icy outside, the only miles ive really experienced with them are on the treadmill and im wondering if it would be a practical alternative to something like trail runners, with the right amount of conditioning prior to the start of my hike? or should i get my trail legs under me with the perfectly good pair of merrel hiking boots that i also have, and THEN try switching over to the wierd ones?

thank you

Shorts
    Self Reliance is my savior. Ingenuity, Imagination and Perserverance are my holy trinity.

Images

I wouldn't use them for Thru-hiking but I would take them with me for camp shoes or as a back-up pair to get me somewhere I could buy new shoes. There is just too much mud/muck and not enough protection for major hiking.

If it was a day hike or weekend trip, I'd say go for it.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

I had the same idea. I've been using my FF's frequently on my morning paper route and love them. They are great when its wet out, but not when its cold and wet. Under 45 degrees and rain is torture. I have, however, used them in snow. Just put on two pairs of injinji socks and you're golden.

I want to use them on my thru, but I'm worried about the sloppy trail conditions at the begining (always a chance of snow in the Smokies this time of year). I'm planning on using a pair of trail runners to start with, then have the FF's sent to Hot Springs (or farther if I decide the weather isn't right yet.

I don't see why they can't be used on the trail. As long as you have enough conditioning, you should be fine. There are many people who start by only doing 5-10 miles a day and still finish the trail, so as long as you're in decent shape now it shouldn't be an issue. The only people I've heard who have negative things to say about these shoes haven't worn them.

Enjoy your hike and I hope to see ya out there. Always nice to meet a fellow 'barefooter'!
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Oh, one more thing. As much as I love these shoes, I will say that IMO they would be a bad choice for a camp shoe. They are heavy (compared to flip-flops) and they can be difficult to put on. At 3am, you don't want to fight to put on shoes if nature is calling.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

I just got some five fingers as well. I love them so much too that I was considerin ditchin boots too.
    I wont end up going this way of course, because it is just silly. So they will be my camp shoes and town shoes and maybe hiking shoes when the conditions are good. They are much better than crocs and a lot more pratical.
    I do run in them in the snow as well. I would just be concerned about the mud and wet/slippery conditions. But im glad to know there are other five finger fanatics out there
    cya out there.

~ClassY

Images

I too would discourage from taking them on the trail(but I love them). The thing I don't care for is how easy it is for water go get between your foot and the shoe. With just the slightest bit of water on soft dirt its going to seep right in. And the material between the rubber and your foot is not going to dry very fast at all while the five finger is still on your foot.
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

I wouldn't. My feet got so messed up just wearing boots which had alot of support. The demand a thru puts on ur body is huge...not a good time to test something out...i also wouldnt use it as a camp shoe. If u get any blisters which u will the shoe will fit to tight and not air out ur feet. EVERYONE grts cros. Light weight and chep.

Shorts, I'm starting my thru around mid March and will be using the VFFs as well. I have been running for about a year in them and can offer some advice based of experience.

As I'm sure you have read by now, these shoes are not something you just jump into, but ease into. When I bought my first pair I immediately starting running my typical 12 miles runs from work. After about a month of that I got a stress fracture (which has the potential of cutting your thru short). Hiking 12-20+ miles a day every day will surely put you at the same risk if are not careful.

The plus side and the reason I am using them on the trail is 1. You will have significantly stronger feet, calves, legs than if you hiked in boots or even trail runners. 2. You will be more agile and fast. 3. You will simply be more athletically adapt for future adventures than one who utilizes a boot as a means of hiking.

Even though I have been running in them for a year I am approaching the use of VFFs on a Thru very cautiously. During those cold beginning days I will get my trail legs as you say in hiking shoes. On warm days break out the VFFs and hike a few miles gradually building up the duration of your hike in those shoes until perhaps after 2 months of doing this I am using the VFFs 100%.

Oh and don't worry about the mud (when its warm out) they were made for the mud! While those in boot suffer from the suction cup effect you're feet slip in and out of mud as if it where water!

Images

You really need to get some field testing in go walk in some mud, see how your feet feel, then decide if you are okay with that feeling all day and then imagine that day after day. Yes, your feet will get stronger as you go, but if you get discouraged and give because of the initial discomfort, lack of miles and other factors it's not worth it. Also a few months on a tread mill(even heavy milage) may not prepare you for standing on your feet all day, with the weight of a pack and the rocks and roots.

It could be fun but it's a risk, plan and hike carefully!
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

Also on a decent section of trail FF would probably be cool but what about the rocky sections of PA. That is going to kill your feet.

If you go with this, buy three pairs that fit, and break them all in for a few weeks, so you have fresh ones up the trail. They won't last as long as a boot, and your feet will really be stinky
    ad astra per aspera

Images

I'm going barefoot. I've always been barefoot no reason to change now. I do have VFF that I wear when running on rock/gravel surfaces and where the establishment that I'm in requires footwear. I have the neoprene ones and they do get STANKY. The neoprene is for wet environments. I actually wet them to put them on - a trick I learned putting SCUBA booties on. Your feet will toughen and muscles associated with being barefoot will become stronger but I suggest not going on the trail without several months adjustment. For me wearing boots would be difficult.

Images

People have hiked the A.T, without shoes. So whats the big deal? If you like them hike in them.

Images

Default Merrell refuge Waterproof

Can these hikers suffice for a Beg Hiker looking to do 2-50 milers and 1-100 miler this spring and summer?

Images

I don't see why not. They are better then no shoes and flip flops.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yep some have hiked the trail barefoot. You're young enough to try. Just have a good pair of trail runners standing by.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

WOW! hahaha thanks to everyone. you've deffinitely given me several things to think about and consider. i like the idea of having them as a camp shoe that i can bust out every couple of days or so for better conditioning when the weather improves, and possibly use every day later on when my feet are stronger. This way im not stuck with only one option to start out with.

I must say i really enjoy and appreciate the ammount of constructive response given by the people on this site. Good community, and a serious change of pace from sites like pinkbike. again thank you
    Self Reliance is my savior. Ingenuity, Imagination and Perserverance are my holy trinity.

I've never worn these things, but I've looked at them at my local outfitter. It seems to me that the rocks, which are every where not just Pennsylvania, will tear them up in no time.

If you do a thru in them and wear them day-after-day (not just ocassionally), I would be interested to hear how long they held up.

Images

Are the cheapest pair (the classics) suitable for trail-running in ideal conditions?
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Just my .02 cents. I have been told by a VFF rep that these are supposed to last for about 700 miles. I say good luck, I have used these on the approach trail and good luck and God bless to anyone who can make any real trail miles in these. Good theory, not so good in practice IMHO. I am not sold on the durability either. Mine are coming apart. I have shoes that I have used outdoors for years and most of them are still in some form of use. I believe it's just another fad item. I loved mine at first and every one raved about them. But after knowing at least a dozen different owners of these who have had similar experiences with the wear and quality. Most of them still love them, but I will tell you, I don't think you would be able to get maybe a couple of hundred miles out of them at best. That is if they can even handle the Georgia section which as far as rocks go is not as bad as other areas of the trail. And by the way don't expect Vibram to back up anything they have to say about these. In my case they did not anyway. Very disappointed with these and for $85 plus not a sound use of equipment. At least my Chaco's could handle more use. I'm not talking about abuse.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++