WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Images

Default Blood Mountain Shelter rehab

From the GATC today:

"As you are probably aware GATC in collaboration with the Chattahoochee National Forest is going to rehab the Blood Mountain Shelter. Working with the USFS we are developing specifications to issue to potential bidders. The competitive bidding will commence in April. If you know of anyone who may be interested in bidding please have them contact [the GATC].

"There are two important factors that bidders should consider and will be spelled out in the specifications:

" 1. The historic nature of the structure requires use of “in-kind” materials duplicating what was originally used by the CCC. As part of this effort the USFS will be applying for listing the shelter on the National Register of Historic Sites.

" 2. The shelter is located in Wilderness designated forest which mandates no mechanized tools or equipment on site and all equipment, tools, materials, etc. will be transported to and from the site utilizing pack animals. A separate contract will cover the pack animals."

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I start my hike on April 3 will be Thur in 2 to 3 day i can help with the work i f you need it

Sounds like a great project, I also might be able to bring a crew of three or four along. Keep us posted
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bishopj View Post
    I ... can help with the work i f you need it
    Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Keep us posted
    Sorry guys. I was just the messenger on this. You'll need to contact the Georgia AT Club with such offers. And while I'm at it... THANKS for the offers! Maybe they can use help on that project or maybe not. They have others, I'm sure.

Here's the link to the GATC site: GATC

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

This project has been in the works for sometime. The controversy over the roof is what has slowed it down I believe.

I once heard they were going to dismantle the shelter all together. Being a historic structure and the connection with Mountain Crossings, its good to know they are going to fix it up.

Thanks for sharing this information..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    This project has been in the works for sometime. The controversy over the roof is what has slowed it down I believe.
    Yeah. Whether to replace it with the original tile roof or find a plastic look alike that won't break when ahxoles throw rocks on the roof from those big rocks next to it. That's why the ground around the shelter is paved with broken bits of red tile right now. Maybe with the chimney blocked and no fires permitted (HAH! Then what's with that charcoal pile in front of the door steps?) nobody will tear off the shutters and the door to build fires again like they did to the last ones.

Lost cause. That shelter should be closed to camping, Nobody can argue that it's needed. There's already a shelter a few miles south, a campground in the gap south of Blood mountain and a hostel in the gap to its north. Renovation will be a complete waste of time and money because in just a few years it'll be torn up, broke down and look exactly like it does now. You read it here first.

I only wish I could be wrong.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

It was a really unique experience the first time I saw it. In good ways and bad...DWM is on target...
    Last edited by ed bell; 01-26-2011 at 22:00. Reason: Slow typing...
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

I can't imagine how I would even begin to come up with a bid for this project. "A seperate contract will cover pack animals" would pretty much stop me in my tracks.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

no body will eever sleep on blood. its just to creepy. i saw the shelter when i tryed to thruhike in 91. it had the wood jams on the windows and i think they got burnned or maby someone has them? possible? if they wanna restore the surounding trees to the way they looked when the shelter was young, i belive their were choke cherries once.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Yeah. Whether to replace it with the original tile roof or find a plastic look alike that won't break when ahxoles throw rocks on the roof from those big rocks next to it. That's why the ground around the shelter is paved with broken bits of red tile right now. Maybe with the chimney blocked and no fires permitted (HAH! Then what's with that charcoal pile in front of the door steps?) nobody will tear off the shutters and the door to build fires again like they did to the last ones.

Lost cause. That shelter should be closed to camping, Nobody can argue that it's needed. There's already a shelter a few miles south, a campground in the gap south of Blood mountain and a hostel in the gap to its north. Renovation will be a complete waste of time and money because in just a few years it'll be torn up, broke down and look exactly like it does now. You read it here first.

I only wish I could be wrong.
    The last thing I had heard about the shelter was at the business meeting back in October, they already had the money and it sounded like a done deal. Except for the argument about the roof. I would assume however, they would wait til spring to get started. From what Im understanding, they arent gonna airlift the materials up there. Thats a long steep climb to be carrying building materials! But what they hey, sign me up!

Well, I for one would like to stay on the Mountain. But not in the shelter. I want to see if the "Little People" are there..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

From what Im understanding, they arent gonna airlift the materials up there. Thats a long steep climb to be carrying building materials!
    Apparently maybe donkeys. There are soooooo many unemployed construction workers, including immigrant workers who could do it too. I got ten in my cell phone right now I could call and they would be ready to start hauling tomorrow.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    Apparently maybe donkeys. There are soooooo many unemployed construction workers, including immigrant workers who could do it too. I got ten in my cell phone right now I could call and they would be ready to start hauling tomorrow.
    I seriously doubt a non-profit organization is going to hire people to haul it up the mountain when there are plenty of people who would volunteer to do it for free.

i absolutly gaurentee they switch to helo and can the pack animals.its a wild dream of a cheapster trying to save a buck that never will work to carry the sizes of wood needed thru that brush.not happening. end of story. can you say sakorski ?
    matthewski

I seriously doubt a non-profit organization is going to hire people to haul it up the mountain when there are plenty of people who would volunteer to do it for free.
    Sure they will It is out for bid. A non-profit organization...oh for instance Habitat for Humanity (whom I happen to work for) will sub out lots of work to for profit contractors. Happens everyday all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    legal documented workers i hope?

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    i absolutly gaurentee they switch to helo and can the pack animals.its a wild dream of a cheapster trying to save a buck that never will work to carry the sizes of wood needed thru that brush.not happening. end of story. can you say sakorski ?
    I assure you Matty I could have a crew that could haul just about anything anywhere for the right amount of money. My amigos are the epitome of Macguyver like hauling resourcefulness.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    legal documented workers i hope?
    LOL thats the first thing that entered my mind!
    I will volunteer my time and I know a lot of other people that will too.
    There is absolutely no need to pay us! We do it for the love of the trail.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Funny how they weren't so concerned about the wilderness restrictions when they airlifted two privies up there.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++