WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

In other words, they're dying. Or at the very least not actively hiking or taking part in the hiking community.
    I don't know rather to laugh or lay down my hiking poles, sink my canoe and park my bike and lay down and wait to die.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheChop View Post
    Seems like a bunch of bull****, unnecessary drama and ego involved here.
    Seems to be pervasive in hiking social circles.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Perhaps a new organization needs to take the place of the ALDHA. New blood, new ideas?

Journal Entries
    Images

Why not sell the most up to date version, but offer the older one for free on a "leftover" menu?

I see the ALDHA is coming to MA next October. Never been before, but this looks good. I am happy to pay (the cost is very low) but do I need to join the organization to attend?

I don't understand all the fuss. The 2010 Companion is already available as a torrent so taking it off the ALDHA website didn't accomplish anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I don't understand all the fuss. The 2010 Companion is already available as a torrent so taking it off the ALDHA website didn't accomplish anything.
    The torrent wasn't available until last night.

Generally the website takes down the previous years edition before making the current year available. That way atleast hikers aren't using outdated information.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Why not sell the most up to date version, but offer the older one for free on a "leftover" menu?

I see the ALDHA is coming to MA next October. Never been before, but this looks good. I am happy to pay (the cost is very low) but do I need to join the organization to attend?
    Although it's encouraged, you don't need to be a member of ALDHA to attend the Gathering. The Gathering itself does have a $10 fee.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHiker2011 View Post
    Perhaps a new organization needs to take the place of the ALDHA. New blood, new ideas?

LOL.. yeah OK. It's a 30 year old organization with nearly 1000 members. Every year there's new members and new board members are elected. Lots of fresh ideas, like what I'm proposing to the board now.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

My first Gather was up in Hanover at Dartmouth, and I've made every one I could since then. Careful Rick, they're addicting! I'm glad it's back in New England!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    LOL.. yeah OK. It's a 30 year old organization with nearly 1000 members. Every year there's new members and new board members are elected. Lots of fresh ideas, like what I'm proposing to the board now.
    If you were not worried about the prospects of another organization made up of truly fresh YOUTHFUL minds, you would not have posted that.

That is all I can say for now.

If you were not worried about the prospects of another organization made up of truly fresh YOUTHFUL minds, you would not have posted that.

That is all I can say for now.
    Let's not start getting ridiculous. You've never set foot on the AT yet you're out to change the entire nature of trail, closing it every 5 years to rejuvenate and now you're also worried about the guidebook.

Back up... and start worrying about your pack and weight.

Let's not start getting ridiculous. You've never set foot on the AT yet you're out to change the entire nature of trail, closing it every 5 years to rejuvenate and now you're also worried about the guidebook.

Sly, I agree with you. I also started wondering if this isn't Minnesota under a new moniker. Or simply another troll from the Midwest, maybe Minne's friend?

It is good to inject fresh blood into the AT every couple of years or so but it should at least be from someone that has long-distance hiking experience. According to this one, he does not have it.

As far as the Companion being taken offline, I do not agree it was a bad idea. While the ALDHA puts out a dynamic product, a year old copy is still a pretty good guide. After all, most people on the AT will follow the white blazes.

Most books and guides only supply sample pages online for non-paying members. The ALDHA could do this and make the PDF available online to those that pay be it through membership, hard copy purchase or membership. I don't have an opinion on that aspect.

One does not have to be President of the United States in order to vote for the President of the United States.

The argument that one needs to walk the trail before they can say anything is a weak one at best.

All I can say is that my organization is well funded and that 100% is going to go towards the A.T. and it's future.

Money is what talks in Washington, not if you walked the trail or not.

ll I can say is that my organization is well funded and that 100% is going to go towards the A.T. and it's [sic] future.
    D-. Best I can give this as a troll grade.

One does not have to be President of the United States in order to vote for the President of the United States.

The argument that one needs to walk the trail before they can say anything is a weak one at best.

All I can say is that my organization is well funded and that 100% is going to go towards the A.T. and it's future.

you should join aldha, get on the board, and really make a difference!

This is admittedly a nitpick which I never point out to others. I make mistakes also and you know, people in glass houses.....

But since you've told us in so many words how brilliant you are, mensa, IQ, 3 degrees etc. etc.,

I suggest you learn basic grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    3 degrees etc. etc.
    From the "University of Madison."

Not the University of Wisconsin, or the University of Wisconsin at Madison, or the UW-Madison.

Sadly I fear no constructive discussion can take place in this thread anymore. The reason is obvious, a rude and aggressive stance taken by the majority of posters. I am shocked at the vicious nature of many posters here.

Thank god WhiteBlaze represents a tiny majority of the people who actually hike the trail.

I will try to discuss the items I brought up in here in 1 months time. Hopefully people will be nicer.

I will also note that I have never and will never be nasty to anyone on here. I consider you all family, and would never treat you with the disrespect that you have shown me. I have always and will always be civil.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
++ New Posts ++