WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    who is this and what have you done with me?!
    Glad you chimed in Matty because after reading these cockamamie rules proposed by WisconsinHiler2011 I thought they came from you cloaked with a different user name. Sadly though I realized it couldn't be you because sentence structure is too advanced for your type of incoherent ramblings. But there is some light here because the mind set is similar. However, your love of the trail precludes you from attempting to instigate what soon may be a Whiteblazer uproar.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHiker2011 View Post

I am new to hiking, but.......
    awwww,, it's a newbie,,, to hiking and WB.

hey mods,,, I think this one needs to be moved to the humor section.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

this guys like bizzaro me! lmao.
    matthewski

Images

Okay, gang, a refresher course on the rules WB discussions:

1) No politics

2) No personal insults
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Despite the ultimately impossible task of limiting usage on the AT, the OP does raise some real concerns. From a thru hikers perspective, the OP may appear to be uneducated at a minimum. But from a land managers perspective, his comments have an element of truth to them. It is true that the AT does suffer from overuse, perhaps not in its entirety, but definitely in some of the higher use locales-ie: GSMNP, Mt Rogers NRA, WMNF...The truth ,however, is that a majority of the impact does not come from the thru hikers themselves, rather it comes from the millions of day hikers and "short distance hikers" that use the trail every year. A great majority of those non-thru hikers are unfamiliar with Leave No Trace principles, low impact camping, and ultralight backpacking. They often carry what they will, and when it proves to be too much, they toss trash and other items alongside the trail or leave it at shelters. Most thru hikers seem to adhere to a pack it in pack it out ethic. It could be ,also, that for the most part they are carrying less than other trail users and have a much more manageable footprint.
    The trail, however, was not designed to handle the load it is being asked to support. A prime example of this is the AT thru the Smokies, where the trail resembles a ditch more than a footpath. Most of these type of issues go unresolved due to the land managers limited resources, as well as environmental requirements needed to relocate a major portion of the AT to a more sustainable location. I do think that at some point, the ATC as well as the NPS will need to perform a process called "Limits of Acceptable Change" in regards to the AT. A lot of issues that the OP has raised could be addressed during the LAC. But as many responders have said, albeit with considerably less tact, is that there would be virtually no way to enforce the needed rules, nor to control the number of people on the trail. There are too many access points, it would be financially unfeasible to do so. The best that we can hope for is a continued effort on the part of thru hikers and others to educate themselves and other trail users on low impact principles. Perhaps some hikers that are repeatedly on the AT, should consider an alternate trail. there are plenty of trails out there yet to be hiked. Just my opinion...
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Land shark on the move. First thing stay out of my berry patch bro you are so high. Money is not the solution to this problem education is. The art of leaving no trace should be practiced and implimented every chance possible. It all starts with our youth. You have any idea how many people use this gift from GOD? and you want to place a $$$$ tag on this. GET REAL. The AT is a great place for you to experience awsome people with great ideas on how to better serve the trail, but charging money and making indivduals buy a permit goes against the reason to be there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
    but charging money and making indivduals buy a permit goes against the reason to be there in the first place.
    Then how do you explain Yellowstone National PArk? The Grand Canyon? Shenandoah National Park? The AT is one of the very few National Park Service units that doesnt charge a fee. And all too often we take it for granted.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    ~
    But as many responders have said, albeit with considerably less tact...
    Pssst....don't bump your head as you walk through the doorway.
    Roland

Images

I think if all of us continue to practice and preach LNT, support their local hiking clubs, as well as the ATC, the damage can continue to be controlled. Most thru hikers I've met are aware of this. I believe much more of the damage is done by day hikers.

Land shark on the move. Stay out of my berry patch bro.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I think if all of us continue to practice and preach LNT, support their local hiking clubs, as well as the ATC, the damage can continue to be controlled. Most thru hikers I've met are aware of this. I believe much more of the damage is done by day hikers.
    And uneducated rookies like the OP ....
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    And uneducated rookies like the OP ....
    It doesn't take an educated person to see the damage that has occurred on the trail. Say what you will, I think the OP has raised some vital concerns that can't be ignored much longer. At least he isnt asking how to bring his tech toys along with him on the trail.

And let me throw this out there: how many people who have responded to this thread have spent a week performing trail maintenance and tread rehab on the AT? I hope, and imagine there would be a few, but I doubt that many have. Nothing like having to fix a damaged trail to see how big the impact is. And I'm not just talking trash.

GPS tags implanted in people by the government? Hopefully there would be a revolution before then.

Thumbs down

DA DA DA DA ....DA DA DA DA ...DA DA DA DA >>>>>Anybody besides me hear the Twilite Zone music ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    It doesn't take an educated person to see the damage that has occurred on the trail. Say what you will, I think the OP has raised some vital concerns that can't be ignored much longer. At least he isnt asking how to bring his tech toys along with him on the trail.

And let me throw this out there: how many people who have responded to this thread have spent a week performing trail maintenance and tread rehab on the AT? I hope, and imagine there would be a few, but I doubt that many have. Nothing like having to fix a damaged trail to see how big the impact is. And I'm not just talking trash.
    I have, I've taken my share of crap off the trail and helped RR's quite a few times with various tasks in my area ... Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    I have, I've taken my share of crap off the trail and helped RR's quite a few times with various tasks in my area ... Try again.
    Thank you darkage. My post was not pointed towards you, or any one person in particular. I'm saying that a majority of the people who use the trail, rarely if ever give anything back to it. If we had more like you, this discussion would not be happening.

Images

Sorry, dealing with a migraine ... not trying too come across ignorant ... I agree with you.

The Trail is 2,180 miles long. Thousands of people - hikers and "mere" walkers enjoy part of the Trail every year. Thruhikers, would-be thruhikers,long-mileage section hikers, weekend backpackers, day hikers, families out for a 1 hour stroll - all parties are out on the Trail. According to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, the vast majority of Trail users are short term. Thruhikers are a small minority.

The Trail is accessible from major road crossings, secondary road crossings, Forest Service rough road crossings, side trails, towns. So the idea of charging a fee for any point Trail access is unworkable and inherently unfair unless resorting to 1984 tactics as suggested by the OP.

And in the course of those 2,180 miles, very few of it is "overutilized" and where so, only at certain times of year.

Personally, I'd like to see frequent trail users (this includes thruhikers) contribute to trail maintenance but not in the form of a legal requirement to pay a centrall-administered fee. Rather as others have said and as has been stated on other WB threads, the solution is improved education and awreness-raising for trail users, especially novices. Hikers should be encouraged to support the ATC and/or their local trail clubs through dues/contributions and/or sweat equity. I see a site like WhiteBlaze playing a significant role in promoting such awareness.

Re. what the Trail's like 50-100 years from now, I hope it is well-used if such use means people have gotten outdoors and reveled in the wonders of creation.

And re the credibility of Backpacker magazine, I too am disdainful of West Coast-based publications writing about Eastern outdoor life. Maybe it's when one such mag (not BP) referred to George Washington State Forest in VA and listed as great outdoors towns flat, hot, sticky, Salisbury, MD and traffic-choked, outlet mall-driven North Conway, NH as the top trail town in New England.

Angry

My previous post could be viewed as a personal insult,Moderator feel free to remove it.I apologize (kinda got caught up in the feeding frenzy)Sorry !

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

The Trail is accessible from major road crossings, secondary road crossings, Forest Service rough road crossings, side trails, towns. So the idea of charging a fee for any point Trail access is unworkable and inherently unfair unless resorting to 1984 tactics as suggested by the OP.
    Does anyone have any hard numbers on how many access points there are along the AT? I would include not only paved access such as Thornton Gap, Newfound Gap, Fox Creek, but also FS road and logging roads that are less developed but nonetheless are publicly accessible. Just curious.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++