WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Why ever would you clear or tamp down snow to set up your tent? Just lay the tent on top of the snow. Lay down on it before set-up so you formfit the snow underneath to your body. Most comfortable nights of sleep are on the soft snow. And forget the metal stakes--use sticks for deadman stakes. They hold better in the snow anyway.

If you take one with you, you are welcome to shovel the trail in the Smokies between Ekanetlee Gap and Russell Field shelter. Let me know when you plan to be through that section and I will have dinner waiting for you when you get to Russell.

I actually had a hiker make the comment to me last spring.... Why havent the maintainers cleared the snow from the trail in the Smokies. I thought it was your job to make sure the hikers could get through.

I offered to let him carry one of the club's shovel. Can you imagine how long it would have taken last winter to remove 4-6 ft of snow from 70 miles of trail. What a moron.

The good news for hikers this year is that so far (knock on wood) we have very few trees reported down. Last spring, there were nearly 100 tres per mile in some areas around the park.

Be safe out there Special K. Maybe we will see you in the park.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

I think it was a straight up question. I think Special K was asking about using it for camping, not Hiking. FWIW, We have used them for years in the ADKs. When there is 4-10 feet of snow, a shovel comes in handy for cutting out your basecamp, kitchen and even shelves to hold your gear.

As far as tamping down the snow, or shoveling a few feet away before laying out your tent, I always do it.
    The last thing I want is to set up my tent on soft snow and start sinking into it and it isn't the whole tent floor that sinks into it, just the hip/shoulder section that you are sleeping on - even worse with a 2-3 man tent.
    Everytime someone comes in or out of your tent and knocks hoar frost down or drags in snow, it slides downhill. Into the nice little pocket you are sleeping in. Where it will melt and run under your sleeping pad or get absorbed by your bag. Not fun.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 02-04-2011 at 20:20.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Baron
    Images

I think the OP was trolling. Either that or, well, it's apropos that he has "special" in his handle.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

I'm a tad bit disappointed by the sarcastic responses in this thread. The guy had a question: either you have something meaningful to contribute or you dont. If you don't, then take your barbs elsewhere.

Baron
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
    I'm a tad bit disappointed by the sarcastic responses in this thread.
    You do know what message board you're posting on, right?
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++