WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Boots - Preventing "heal lift" and blisters?

I've pretty much broken in a new pair of Asolo boots, but keep getting a hot spot from a bit of "heel-lift" action going on inside.

Has anyone had success with fixing boots with a contouring pad of any sort that will keep the heel in place?

Duck tape over socks or right on the heel to prevent blisters? Both?

what size are they and what size sneaker do you wear.
    matthewski

Images

Sounds like the wrong size boots, in size or width or both.

Usually liner socks and hiker socks take care of things.

Images

Have you tried to tighten the lace loops that will sit your heel more firmly in the heel cup?

I can't find if it applies to Asolo boots, but some footwear has a moldable heel. There are some guides online that explain how to do this.

asolos are my boot since they came out. they are so well made that they actually break in like real boots. everyone buys them roomy cause they feel tight in stores. and everyone gets a second pair after they figure this out. its almost frightning how tight they feel before they break in, witch is in about 10 miles of walking. then they stretch out quite a bit. the only way to fit them is to gauge the distance between the top two eyelets. if its to close, as in not in a straightish line with the set below the top,then you have a pair of trouble sized boots of the highest quality. the behind the heal 2 fingers fitting tecnique should be done with one finger. even the right fit boot made by them, after breaking in, can feel tight when bought, then hold two fat ragg sox and vbls 6 months later.when older than a thousand miles, they will hurt you if their not the right fit. very simple soulution. buy them smaller by a half or full sixze next time. stop wearing them and sell them for half price now.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Mike413 View Post
    I've pretty much broken in a new pair of Asolo boots, but keep getting a hot spot from a bit of "heel-lift" action going on inside.

Has anyone had success with fixing boots with a contouring pad of any sort that will keep the heel in place?

Mike,

Adding duck tape may prevent blisters, but that is only treating the symptoms. Better to eliminate the problem, if you can.

Here's a thought...

In my experience, heel lift is caused by a boot whose volume is too great for the size of your foot. A quick way to test if this is the problem is by reducing the volume of your boot by adding an insole. This raises your foot off the footbed, keeping it in closer contact with the boot, reducing movement. Reducing movement reduces blisters.

Orange SuperFeet are thicker than most, and would take-up some volume in the boot. I've also had success by keeping the original insole, but adding a thin layer of foam under it. I've found sheets of thin closed-cell foam in the arts & crafts stores that have worked well. Or, you can build-up your existing insole with a discarded foam-backed place mat, cut in the shape of the insole.

I have not had any luck with the self-sticking heel pads you mentioned.

Good luck to ya. Sloppy-fitting boots can be very annoying, frustrating and painful.
    Roland

Lots of good comments. Thanks. I think they are neither too big or too small. Perhaps just not right for my feet. They don't seem to have a heel "cup". The back is rather straight, while my Achilles tendon area curves in quite a bit. Just not a good fit i guess. Bought via catalog. Perhaps with a few more miles on them, they will flex better.

Conversely, my low Merrell hikers fit my heel wonderfully and are becoming my all time favorites.

You should try and hitch the laces of your boot so they stay tight.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knottedlacing.htm

You'll be amazed at the difference it makes in keeping the shoe and the ankle together. Not saying it's the end all be all but it does make a huge difference. The other thing is instead of using duct tape use cloth tape on your ankles. It breaths better and doesn't leave as much residue.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Keep trying things to see if something works, I wish it would, and some combination certainly may. Hope so.

Now the negative. I would agree with your thought that possibly the Asolo boot form/ and resultant fit just doesn't work with your feet. I had the same problem with Merrell boots. Tried to fine tune a nice pair, just could not make them work, long term. Bought Vasque model, no more problems, fit like glove.

Try combinations to aleve, good luck. I am two sock guy, who believes this combo is best. For me anyway, lol.

I agree with what Roland says. Take your boots into an outfitter that sells SuperFeet inserts and try on several to achieve a volume fit. Experiment with the original inserts left in/out too.

Don't forget, the number one mistake people make when buying SuperFeet are getting them too small. Your heel must fit within the heel cup completely and the correct size doesn't necessarily match the foot size chart on the package. You may have to go up or down a size or two to get it right.

Cheers!

How about some moleskin?

You might be able to make them fit, but your feet are the most important thing when hiking a long trail. You really have to leave all sentimentality and pocketbook issues aside when it comes to your feet. If the boots hurt, it doesn't matter how good or how much they cost, you must get rid of them.

I have been learning how to make shoes it it's amazing how just the slightest little thing will make it not fit. The tolerances for a shoe are only 1mm. 1mm different from your foot and they won't fit right. I guess this is why they have so many different lasts for making shoes.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike413 View Post

I think you must change your boots to prevent your foot from blisters! Blisters are small swelling of the skin that contains watery fluid. They are caused by friction. The body responds to the friction by producing fluid. The fluid builds up beneath the part of the skin being rubbed, causing pressure and pain. Blisters occur when feet get hot, sweaty and socks stick to the feet. So you should change your shoes that are fitted to your foot.

++ New Posts ++