WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gain weight!

Images

Im probally the skinniest dude to ever walk the trail 6,4 160 when i started i came home at 175. To me and others it seems the younger guys with low body fat tend to gain weight mostly in muscle though, just make sure you eat nutritiously while on trail.
    Have a great hike!

When we thru-hiked in 2008, there was a tall very slender guy who carried a 5-pound jar of peanut butter out of town. Apparently that was his routine at each town stop, to try to keep the weight on his body.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    I weighed 170 at the start of my hike. Can eat whatever I want and not gain anything - I had to work at keeping my self at 170.
    consider yourself lucky..I drink water and it makes me fat...lol..the air I breathe is fattening...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    lol..the air I breathe is fattening...
    You too? I thought i was the only one who suffered from breathing, lol
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why bother gaining any weight? Once you hit the trail, with your metabolism, you'll lose it all in a few days. Just go hiking. It'll work out fine. You won't shrivel up and die. Well, you will probably shrivel, but you won't die.
    I'm hesitant about this comment.. I've heard of hikers becoming so run down and weak from weight loss that they just don't have it in them anymore to continue.
    I fear of this.. I've been stuffing myself in preparation for my hike and the scale hasn't really moved. 124 lbs. God help me to keep my strength up come April...

Buy an XBOX 360. play an addictive game of your choice, drink 4 liters of coke per night, eat a full bag of doritos and a gallon of ice cream to wash it down. Then never go outside and see the light of day for 3 months........Oh, wait, that was me.......nevermind

If you've ever wondered what eating INCORRECTLY can do to a normal healthy guy, watch SuperSized the documentary.

GOMAD: Gallon Of Milk A Day

When going on the trail focus on fatty food and carbs...
    I dont know if you are bringing a small kitchen (not sure what you call them here) but where I come from we have like little pantries that you can cook on.. use that to make pasta for example, snack on peanuts the unsalted ones they are high in fat, tuna on can holds for quite a while and is a rather fatty fish.. Or makrill (not sure of the english name for that either) but they will do you good on the trail...

The key is to avoid stuff that is leaner in content if you can...

Only time I am grateful for my size is when Im trailing, I can basically go a week without full on food, as long as I have water I am in decent shape with just small snacks here and there..

I do love to eat though *lol*

Milkshakes. And lots of that great Southern BBQ that you won't have any trouble finding in Ga.

Milk and weight gain shakes

I recommend you healthy diet for the weight gain.
    The basic diet for weight gain that should contain nutritious, high calorie foods. carbohydrate is also assential part for the weight gain. The diet for the carbohydrate meal bread, potatoes, brown rice, pasta, couscous,fresh and dried fruit.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    153 isn't skinny unless you're like 6 feet tall or over..I wish my problem was I ONLY weighed 153..I'm 56 going on 57 in 6 weeks 5'9'' and 194, which is fat...count you're blessings.. I'd like to lose about 20 to 25 pounds before I do my GMSNP through hike last of March..I know that's not the same as a full AT thru hike by any means...just eat like a pig during your town / resupply stops and you should be ok....
    But if you really wanta gain weight..eat lotsa carbs and maybe do some strength training with dead weights and concentrate on building those leg muscles....

i hear you, Bro.!

see ya'll out there May 28-June 12
    hiking DWG NoBo to Kent,CT
    w/ "Piece O'Work"
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++