WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Question Exposure on Mt K, 100 Mile Wilderness?

I am planning to hike Mt K and the 100 Mile Wilderness this summer. The person I may be hiking with has a problem with cliffs, sheer drops, exposure, etc. Heights are fine, as long as the trail doesn't run right along the edge of a drop.

My question is, are there any spots like that on the trail up Katahdin or anywhere in the 100 Mile Wilderness?

Sorry to say, I don't think your friend will enjoy the Hunt Trail (AT) up Katahdin.

Re. the 100 Mile Wilderness, I recall the descent down the north side of Whitecap was steep, rocky, and open-exposure but the footing was OK by New England standards. Some of it was stone steps. I think he/she's OK if you take it slow and easy.

Images

Yeah, i agree with cookerhiker. I led a trip up to K years ago with someone who freaked out and could not continue on to Knife's Edge. I led her back down Saddle Trail. She was later diagnosed by a doctor to have vertigo A descent on Hunt Trail on a clear day could be another issue.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

The knife edge trail on Katahdin would definitely scare the crap out of them as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Yeah, i agree with cookerhiker. I led a trip up to K years ago with someone who freaked out and could not continue on to Knife's Edge. I led her back down Saddle Trail. She was later diagnosed by a doctor to have vertigo A descent on Hunt Trail on a clear day could be another issue.
    Vertigo is a medical condition relating to dizzyness and senstion of falling, etc.

Your companion likely had acrophobia - an extreme fear of heights.

Just a friendly FYI.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Yeah, I'd stay away from Katahdin, regardless of which trail; it's one thing to go up it, it's another thing coming down -- sort of like a cat that climbs a tree...

And there are other places in Maine/NH that wouldn't be good, especially for the steep descents. Your friend probably wouldn't like Mahoosuc (sp?) Notch either.

The 100 Mile Wilderness might be OK. I don't recall any really shear drop-offs, etc.

As mentioned several times already... Katahdin would be a problem for anyone with a fear of heights, cliffs, etc. I suggest your friend skip the Katahdin part which is unfortunate... it's a awesome trip.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Taking a walk......

http://www.trailjournals.com/dg2010atnobo

Images

Sounds like you guys need to take a nice stroll in Arcadia NP instead...

Journal Entries

Thousands of hikers climb Katahdin annually. There are a couple of rock scrambles on all the trails. But people between the ages of 6 and 90 do it routinely.

The easy route is to backpack 3.5 miles into the Chimney Pond shelters (reservations needed) and then climb the Saddle head wall. the second day. I like to spend a second night at Chimney Pond, and then out. It makes for a delightfull three-day exploration of the mountain.

The Knife Edge is not for the faint of heart. But even that is not beyond the ability of most with ordinary walking skills. But I don't recommend it for first time Katahdin hikers with vertigo problems.

I doubt if your friend will find anything in the so called "hundred mile wilderness" that he finds really uncomfortable. Open ledges are common in Maine. But most have numerous hand and foot holds.

I don't particularly like heights, but I've done them all, summer and winter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Vertigo is a medical condition relating to dizzyness and senstion of falling, etc.

Your companion likely had acrophobia - an extreme fear of heights.

Just a friendly FYI.
    She was fine as we hiked up Saddle Trail and walked over to the sign to take pictures. We sat around for a little bit then when she got up started complaining of dizziness and couldn't walk straight. I think that's what made her nervous and of course me nervous as well because we were supposed to head down Knife's Edge. No way was I gonna let her do that.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    She was fine as we hiked up Saddle Trail and walked over to the sign to take pictures. We sat around for a little bit then when she got up started complaining of dizziness and couldn't walk straight. I think that's what made her nervous and of course me nervous as well because we were supposed to head down Knife's Edge. No way was I gonna let her do that.
    I think your friend was having a panic attack. I was diagnosed with benign postional vertigo back in October. And that episode lasted three days. If your friend truely had vertigo she would have had major problems going from a sitting to standing position. She most likely would have had to sit back down for a few minutes to let the worst of the spinning stop. After that walking in a straight line wouldnt have been difficult unless she was going for theatrics to prove a point. Also when I had vertigo I remember that something felt really wrong with my head. Its hard to describe, it almost felt like there was a lot of pressure and stuffing in there. I swear I dont know how to describe it better! LOL It felt very wrong. I certainly couldnt have hiked in the condition.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    ...And there are other places in Maine/NH that wouldn't be good, especially for the steep descents. Your friend probably wouldn't like Mahoosuc (sp?) Notch either.
    They're only planning on the 100 Mile Wilderness plus Katahdin.

Question For Karen Thompson :

Did you get the two books on " Cloud Dancing " etc. I sent you on Oct. 27th
    last year ? Since I sent them " Book Rate " I couldn't put " Delivery
    Confirmation " on the big package !!

David V. Webber

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSail View Post

David V. Webber
    You can put a delivery confirmation on media mail, but you can't on parcel post.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSail View Post

David V. Webber
    I think so but I'll get back to you via PM

Images

Thanks for the replies so far. I really appreciate it!

Got to the Picture Gallery and take a look for yourself. Some of those pics make me want to sit down for a little bit.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Mod please delete my comment, my apologies.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-09-2011 at 22:57. Reason: Didn't realize this was posted in straight forward forum.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Sometimes you just have to do it. Cliffs and drops scare the HELL out of me. The first few times were in Yosemite, being from Florida I'd never used hand holds or iron foot holds. Then later a place where the old tourist road went right up to the edge of the Vally..but turning around was not on my permit.
    Same thing in the Grand Canyon, was propably not a good spot to be hiking solo but there was no easy turn back.

When I tru hiked we didn't have digital cameras, if I had seen my self on McAfee knob (I did have to sit) I would have lost heart beat. But now that pic is on my screen saver.
    When I got to the Knife Edge I was alone, and the thought of turning around was as strong as the desire to reach the top, maybe I was crying so what.. no one was there to hear me. 2000 freaking miles and I was thinking of turning around.
    No...It does not get easier.
    Then again they are on a short trip...and the choice is theirs.

We had to stop on the hunt trail above the boulders with the " big staples" for holds. My wife found the exposure too much. It comes and goes with her. She never fails to remind me that she is a hiker not a climber.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++