WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Evey so often someone post this link to a really scary trail in Spain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Nd1qtk1Go
    You must be THIS tall to hike this trail!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    My opinion is based on having been there. So you can post pics and links to pics and links to links of pics to let people know what it is like and they will not get it.

To answer your question more directly : yes 3D would be much better.
    If you think 3Ds would better approximate your experience, I suggest you post them along with a disclaimer and you might want to check with site management before posting them.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-12-2011 at 23:10. Reason: Added quote.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    If you think 3Ds would better approximate your experience, I suggest you post them along with a disclaimer and you might want to check with site management before posting them.
    Why would you want to post a disclaimer, if there were 3D pics available? Better yet do we need to check with site management prior to posting pics?

Is it better to sugar coat info regarding trails? Have you hiked this trail?
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I knew a hiker with stories like that once also.
    Well then I'm sure he was a nice old honest man like this one is.

Images

Default Qs & As

Why would you want to post a disclaimer, if there were 3D pics available?
    Someone might take a nasty spill looking at them and incur wicked medical bills.

Better yet do we need to check with site management prior to posting pics?
    No one has ever posted 3D images to my knowledge and I don't know how management feels about them.

Is it better to sugar coat info regarding trails?
    I try to avoid simple carbohydrates for the most part and don't care for frosted breakfast cereals or arêtes.

Have you hiked this trail?
    Yes and so have many others who enjoyed themselves. I wouldn't post about it if I hadn't.

The original poster said she was diagnosed with vertigo by a doctor...are there any doctors on here who can diagnose vertigo over the internet?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    The original poster said she was diagnosed with vertigo by a doctor...are there any doctors on here who can diagnose vertigo over the internet?
    Nope. When I was diagnosed, I went through a LOT of blood work AND an EKG to rule out other problems.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Yeah, i agree with cookerhiker. I led a trip up to K years ago with someone who freaked out and could not continue on to Knife's Edge. I led her back down Saddle Trail. She was later diagnosed by a doctor to have vertigo A descent on Hunt Trail on a clear day could be another issue.
    I mentioned she was diagnosed by a doctor.....that was after she had been brought to the doctor and had testing done at a medical facility. She was anxious to get back on the trail so she did continue with us as we met up before the wilderness. I don't remember any other issues after that.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    One of the members of my hiking club was talking about how when he was up at Baxter some guy fell/blew off the Knifes Edge and it took 4 days to find him. And by some miracle he was alive!
    Like this ?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Thanks to whoever posted the photos. They illustrate the points I was trying to make. Most show a pretty blunt "knife," which is why almost no one gets hurt from stepping off the side of the trail, or even getting blown off.

The photo showing a kid with his back to a steep portion of the trail, illustrates why and how most accidents happen. Facing down the trail, of course, is how most of us walk trails.

But on very steep sections like the Knife Edge dip between Pamola and Chimney Mountains, the wise of us take a tip from technical climbers, turn around and face the rock face. That way we can see the hand and foot holds.

The Knife Edge isn't really that technical. Most manage it without a problem. But occasionally someone falls, breaking bones and skulls, occasionally fatally.

That's why I always turn around and face the walls on steep trail sections. I think of it as insurance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Like this ?
    I can't say as I was not there.

Images

Perhaps everything you said is true as you know it. However, do not sugar coat this trail to people that have never walked it.
    That is a good point. Due caution is a good thing.

I have and it was scary as hell. You can give me stats, you can tell me whatever misinformed crap you can come up with, but that trail is scarey.
    Are you talking Hunt Trail or Knifedge? Both can be creepy the first time, but c'mon.

You can do the Hunt Trail and only use your hands a couple times. I always am glad after getting to the other end of the Knifedge, even if most of it is just walking upright.

Three point scrambling. Good for the soul.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Are you talking Hunt Trail or Knifedge? Both can be creepy the first time, but c'mon.

You can do the Hunt Trail and only use your hands a couple times. I always am glad after getting to the other end of the Knifedge, even if most of it is just walking upright.

Three point scrambling. Good for the soul.

Knife Edge
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Journal Entries

Over the decades I've hiked all the Katahdin trails at least once, and most several times.

One February a group I was with got to within a quarter mile of the Katahdin summit when the wind picked up and the leader called off the summit attempt because of the danger of injuries. I thought that was a wise call. I was wearing a lightly loaded ancient external frame pack that felt like a kite on my back.

We escaped via the Cathedral Trail. Summertime, the Cathedral is considered the most difficult trail. But that February it was out of the wind -- and more importantly packed with snow.

We roped up and belayed down the steep snow slide and then snowshoed into Chimney Pond for the night. A great trip.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++