WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Introverted thru-hikers

Hard to ask the question, but here i go.

If you fear and actively avoid interactions with strangers or even acquaintances in everyday life, I'm wondering what your trail experience was like.

I know I'll be sharing shelters with others most of the way. I'm not worried about sleeping, just the awkward time between the end of hiking and sleepy time. And I don't actually hate people, honest.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Images

Stealth camp, thats how my wife and I avoid time around strangers we dont want to talk with.
    "I may not find pleasant things, I shall find new things"
    -Candide

IMO the trail, especially NOBO, is perfect for intro AND extroverts. It's all there for your choosing.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

In not exactly introverted and I don't plan to spend any time sleeping at shelters.

You'll quickly notice two types of people hiking the AT. Generally speaking they are:

1- Shelter people
    2- Tent people

Shelter people tend to be more extroverted and gregarious while tent people are more introverted and taciturn. Of course, as with all things associated with human nature, there are exceptions.

Enjoy your thru-hike.

if you mix an introvert with an outrovert you get a inbetweentrovert. my point? were all troverts. some troverer than others. are introverts allways wishing they were more extroverted? or are they fine with what they are? cause if you sit in a crowded place and quietly observe human ineraction, you will relize each of us is but a part of other folks world. we are not the center of anyones world. and this allows you to understand, no one is watching you or careing about you and that you are free to be yourself without persecution. its a simple exersize but one that teaches a lession we all belive we know and dont. im gratefull my father pointed this out to me as an akward teen. this, and the time he gave me a sailboat are the only two times he ever spoke in the 13 years i knew him.
    matthewski

Journal Entries
    Images

Some years ago there was a well know study that clasified hikers on the Meyers-Briggs personality test

If found that a very large percentage were introverts. INTP was the most common profile, I think. I expect you will be in good company.

I was reminded of that when I saw the Warren Doyle interview on the ALDHA Youtube Video. One of his comments about his satisfaction seeing introverted people come out of their shells within the hiking community resonated with me.

Bottom line, I think you will be in good company. In fact, I think you might have more to worry about if you start your hike as an extrovert!
    Last edited by rickb; 02-10-2011 at 07:55. Reason: Had Confused Meyers Briggs test with the MMPT

it's all about the food... Safari's Avatar

I slept every single night of my AT odyssey in my trusty tent (apart from the hotel stays in town), I averaged 9 to 10 hours sleep a night, hiked the trail in 3 and a half months, met loads of fantastic people, had a blast, never used a privy, shunned the shelters (unless in caes of torrential rain, dodgy weather) can't wait to get back to the States and still avoid society and all it's hang ups & pettiness... don't stress, there is plenty of space & solitude out there (and you don't need a rodent infested shelter, that's just lazy planning!)...
    'Have fun & stay cool.' - Ranulph Fiennes

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Some years ago there was a well know study that clasified hikers on the Meyers-Briggs personality test

If found that a very large percentage were introverts. INTP was the most common profile, I think. I expect you will be in good company.

I was reminded of that when I saw the Warren Doyle interview on the ALDHA Youtube Video. One of his comments about his satisfaction seeing introverted people come out of their shells within the hiking community resonated with me.

Bottom line, I think you will be in good company. In fact, I think you might have more to worry about if you start your hike as an extrovert!
    I took the Meyers-Briggs test on 2 occasions over the course of my working career and both times came out INTP. Some of my friends are surprised about the "I." My know-it-all boss the first time I took it said I'd be ISTJ because I was an accountant. He got it half-right, half-wrong.

Default What Would Carl Jung Do?

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    if you mix an introvert with an outrovert you get a inbetweentrovert. .......
    No, you get an ambivert.

Journal Entries

Cool shy also

i wrote a blog on the same thing. i'm just like you. i absolutely do not think i'm above or better, i just have a terrible time interacting with folks, social anxiety i quess. i figure the place is plenty big if i want to hide in my tent. and what does imo mean?

Journal Entries

Face your fears - learn how to build a fire in any weather - that's always appreciated - and remember, you're not alone in your fears, you're just the one brave enough to admit it.
    Good luck on your hike...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I hide in the bushes when I see someone coming, does that count?

Images

We are just alike. Usually on the trail, if I don't feel like talking to someone, I just answer their questions and do not elaborate. It doesn't take them long to get the idea. I go out there to get away from everything, including people.

Most people I see on the trail that are my age have guitars (which are eventually played poorly with insufferably predictable song lists) and ridiculous far left, McCandless-esque ideologies that are hard listen to without laughing. And most of the the adults/older folks I have met make me feel like I'm reading the comments on a FOX news article. Have told me to watch my language, do I believe in Jesus, etc. Equally insufferable. I'm pretty picky when I choose my company, but I have met some good people out there and I'm sure you will too.

The biggest thing is to not let people make you feel bad about your social preferences. Some people need other people, some others not so much. You just fall in the latter category. If someone says anything to you about being a "loner", ask them why they need validation and acceptance so badly to be happy.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

The easiest way to make me switch over from an introvert to an extrovert is a liberal application of beer/alcohol. That and good conversation too.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sickmont View Post
    The easiest way to make me switch over from an introvert to an extrovert is a liberal application of beer/alcohol. That and good conversation too.
    I agree wholeheartedly. There's a reason they call it social lubricant.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Journal Entries

I am introverted typically. But put a trail under my feet and I speak freely. I get excited. I guess I assume that if you're in the woods we've got common ground. There are things to talk about, even the weather is actually relevant. I enjoy chatting with total strangers in the woods. In regular society I am reserved, sometimes (at least to me) annoyingly so.
    Speaking 1 on 1 while walking seems to grease my social wheels. I will sit off to the side at the campfire, adding a bit to conversation - but it's the flow of communication in small groups I do the best at.
    2012 NOBO - April start date
    Follow me here: Here, There, and Everywhere

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    are introverts allways wishing they were more extroverted?
    I would add: "are extroverts aware how annoying they can be to introverts?"
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Default while it's true that there are...

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    The biggest thing is to not let people make you feel bad about your social preferences. Some people need other people, some others not so much. You just fall in the latter category.
    both introverts and extroverts, the OP to his credit admitted that he was motivated somewhat by fear. I agree with the poster who encouraged the young man to confront that fear. As an introverted person myself (INTP), I would not necessarily choose to be around others but I have learned to accept and even enjoy the times I do spend with people. This was helpful to me in the long run because my work has required me to be around others and was a big stress reducer - I didn't have to craft strategies around my fears as I did in my younger days. You are correct in that he should not feel bad about being an introvert, half the people in the world are.
    To the OP, others have said it here - the trail experience can be whatever you want it to be. Good luck on your hike

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I hide in the bushes when I see someone coming, does that count?
    Hiding that pot of gold again 10-K?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++