WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Favorite Freezer Bag lunch?

I'm switching over to FBC. I usually use standard lunches... PBJ, Pep and cheese, summer sausage, etc... on pitas or tortillas. I will probably still use these, but I was wondering what FBC lunches might be out there. Hot or cold, preferably cold though.

a new line of indian foods that all have less than a half dozen ingredients each. very simple, good and exspensive and 11 ozs. in acme.
    matthewski

This doesn't really answer the question: favorite freezer bag lunch, but it is an option for lunch. Don't do lunch. It saves a ton of time. Instead, just nibble on snacks all day long. In this way, you're only stopping for a real meal while you're at camp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    This doesn't really answer the question: favorite freezer bag lunch, but it is an option for lunch. Don't do lunch. It saves a ton of time. Instead, just nibble on snacks all day long. In this way, you're only stopping for a real meal while you're at camp.
    You know, thats exactly what i've been thinking about for a while now for my section this summer. It just makes more sense to me.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    That's pretty interesting ...

I've always intuited that I can actually hike further every day if I take a 30 minute or so lunch break, eat something and get off my feet for a few minutes and recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

I've always intuited that I can actually hike further every day if I take a 30 minute or so lunch break, eat something and get off my feet for a few minutes and recharge.
    I do a variation of this. I have a bag of jerky and a bag of trail mix. I stop for early lunch/late breakfast, lunch and then late lunch/early dinner. But I always stop and rest. I just don't stop and boil water or try and make something big.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

I gotta have a rest break mid day too..but then..I'm an ancient dude...

I'm planning on doing a couple of #10 cans but the crazies out there have decided the government is buying up all the bulk freeze dried foods and they're hard to come by. I think they'll be a nice change of pace from resupplying along the way for the few mail drops I should have.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Here's a recipe for a trail lunch that I enjoy, something a little different from the usual trail lunches.

LEMON TUNA COUSCOUS
    ½ cup couscous (preferably purchased pre-cooked, but regular works okay--just takes a little longer to rehydrate)
    1 ¼ tsp dried mint
    1 ¼ tsp lemon zest
    1 ¼ tsp dried onion
    Dash salt and pepper
    2.5 oz tuna OR salmon pouch
    1 ½ oz balsamic vinaigrette dressing or sprinkle with olive oil (found the dressing in individual packages at the grocery store)
    At home, package all dry ingredients in a Ziploc. In camp, add 1 cup cold water. Let stand 15 minutes until couscous is soft. Add tuna OR salmon and dressing and stir together.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 02-10-2011 at 11:25. Reason: readability

Images

I dehydrate cheddare cheese and refried beans with some spices added.

A couple of hours before I'm ready to eat lunch I add a little water, mix it up by squeezing the bag.

When I stop for lunch I smear it on a flour tortilla and eat, maybe put a packet of taco sauce on it. It's pretty good and filling.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post

A couple of hours before I'm ready to eat lunch I add a little water, mix it up by squeezing the bag.

When I stop for lunch I smear it on a flour tortilla and eat, maybe put a packet of taco sauce on it. It's pretty good and filling.
    Is excellent idea. Make big trouble for moose and squirrel.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

How do you dehydrate cheese and refried beans? I would really like to try this one....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Is excellent idea. Make big trouble for moose and squirrel.
    Especially if moose and squirrel walk behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    How do you dehydrate cheese and refried beans? I would really like to try this one....
    I use fruit roll up sheets for my dehydrator (could use wax paper, but the beans will stick yo it). I buy grated sharp cheddar cheese and just spread it out then dehydrate till it's crunchy. It even tastes good dehydrated.

For then beans I buy refried beans add a little chili powder and red pepper then spread it on the fruit roll up sheet. About halfway through the drying the top will be dry but still moist on the bottom. I flip it with a spatula and this speeds up the drying process. When it's dry and you can breaK it up with your hands, just crunch it up and I put it into snack size ziploc bags. about 2 bags per can of beans.

You don't need to add boiling water, just pour some from your water bottle into the bag mix it by squeezing on the bag. Rehydrates very well. I also add some dehydrated jalapenos in it sometimes too.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    I gotta have a rest break mid day too..but then..I'm an ancient dude...
    OMG, I'm definitely not implying that I don't take any rest breaks, my apologies for not being more clear. My 46yo knees need several little breaks through out the day. I meant I don't stop and break out any gear for a full fledged sit-down meal at lunch. Throughout the day I nibble on jerky, candy, cheese (cooler whether), granola bars, gorp, etc. Saves the time of a "meal" at noon. But I certainly take my breaks, also. One additional benefit of this technique is you don't have to plan a third meal every day.

Especially if moose and squirrel walk behind.

I use fruit roll up sheets for my dehydrator (could use wax paper, but the beans will stick yo it). I buy grated sharp cheddar cheese and just spread it out then dehydrate till it's crunchy. It even tastes good dehydrated.

For then beans I buy refried beans add a little chili powder and red pepper then spread it on the fruit roll up sheet. About halfway through the drying the top will be dry but still moist on the bottom. I flip it with a spatula and this speeds up the drying process. When it's dry and you can breaK it up with your hands, just crunch it up and I put it into snack size ziploc bags. about 2 bags per can of beans.

You don't need to add boiling water, just pour some from your water bottle into the bag mix it by squeezing on the bag. Rehydrates very well. I also add some dehydrated jalapenos in it sometimes too.
    Pour a jar of salsa on a couple of fruit rollup trays. After it's dry, add a tablespoon or so to your bag of beans. Very tasty.

(Parchment paper works much better than wax paper in a dehydrator.)

-FA

My favorite freezer bag lunch combines dehydrated refried beans, dehydrated salsa, hamburger gravel and bits of cheese. It was supposed to be a burrito filling, but it turned out more like chili.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Pour a jar of salsa on a couple of fruit rollup trays. After it's dry, add a tablespoon or so to your bag of beans. Very tasty.

(Parchment paper works much better than wax paper in a dehydrator.)

-FA
    I have dehydrated salsa and it works very well. I may try parchment paper, you are correct wax paper is just not strong enough. But, I've purchased enough sheets now to do most of what I want withoout using any of that.

++ New Posts ++