WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Doing the trail(s) with the least amount of audio/video technology

This question came into my head yesterday: When I did the trail back in 1992, 75% of my fellow hikers were aghast at the fact I carried a small radio to listen to when I was on any trail. After a 3ft blizzard hit the Smokies(while many of us were on that section of trail), it was funny to me that many of the naysayers went out and purchased a small radio to carry as well--Guess 3ft of snow can alter your ideas of what is ok and what is not.

So here is my question: Today's generation grew up with IPODs, pocket digital cameras, portable SAT radio, PLB's. Is there anyone out there that still gets by with just a small radio(or none) and a camera? Does anyone not carry any kind of electronics when hiking? What is the least you would carry? If you could take only one, what would it be?
    Note: Devices that perform more than one function is OK.

Myself? I still carry just a camera and some source of music--no phone, don't need it in most places, plus I simply don't own one.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

MP3 player (which has an fm radio) cell phone and camera.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I like listening to the woods I hike with nothing except those little voices in my head left foot right foot, darn I hate nats,
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    I like listening to the woods I hike with nothing except those little voices in my head left foot right foot
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

Having hiked both with and without a camera, and seeing how small they can be anymore, I think a camera is the most important thing.
    Phones: only if you absolutely need them for work.
    Radios: Not for me. I don't wanna know what's going on.
    Silence is golden.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Only a camera for me.
    Non of that other nonsense!

~ClassY

I didn't see very many radios last year; just cell phones and cameras.

Garlic
    Images

The only thing remotely related to electronics I carry is an LED headlamp. I like technology, but I also like leaving it behind on the trail.

There's nothing I love more than to get away from the phone.

I started my first thru hike in the desert on the PCT with a radio. I walked right past a rattler, inches away--didn't hear it. I sent the radio home and have never carried one since.

I have a couple of boxes filled with thousands of photos of friends and me in the woods, in the snow, on summits, at lakes...after a few decades, they all pretty much look the same. I don't really need any more.

I check out weather reports in town, get on line and check emails, update the journal, read the newspaper maybe, but that just repeats itself after 90 days or so.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

On my hike the 3 people I was with all of the time all had ipods, and listened to them frequently. It was always tempting to have mine sent to me, but in the end I'm glad I didn't. No ipod, no radio, just a camera. Plus, after you get home, you can lay in your room and blast glorious music for 9 hours and it will make it all better.

Images

I remember when the Walkman came out and I carried a knock-off type FM radio,headphones only.This was early 80's and did listen to some music while walking sometimes.Well fast foward to the present and I have the Sangean DT-400W.It is about the size of a cigarette pack and weighs only a few ounces.The best feature is the NOAA weather band.It has a headphone jack or use the small speaker.I usually just listen to some NPR news but the weather band is great.When I have been at some shelters many other hikers were glad to get a weather update.Seems like some go the IPOD nano route but I don't use anything while hiking anymore.Anyway with most Thru's hitting a town every 4-5 days,they get their news/weather there and find no need for any such device.I think it's something that is not required but very useful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I remember when the Walkman came out and I carried a knock-off type FM radio,headphones only.This was early 80's and did listen to some music while walking sometimes.Well fast foward to the present and I have the Sangean DT-400W.It is about the size of a cigarette pack and weighs only a few ounces.The best feature is the NOAA weather band.It has a headphone jack or use the small speaker.I usually just listen to some NPR news but the weather band is great.When I have been at some shelters many other hikers were glad to get a weather update.Seems like some go the IPOD nano route but I don't use anything while hiking anymore.Anyway with most Thru's hitting a town every 4-5 days,they get their news/weather there and find no need for any such device.I think it's something that is not required but very useful.
    Forgot to say I do carry my Canon Powershot so I can share pics here&FB.I take my Iphone but it is for calling for rides or ICE only....

Journal Entries

i carry a Iphone. Its a phone, camera, internet, radio, i pod all in one. i dont carry another camera. i do carry a charger
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Lightbulb Techno-Minimo

The main reason to go into the woods is to be in the woods....

Take only pictures....Leave only footprints!
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

I carry no electronics whatsoever, not even a camera. The last thing I need is another photo album full of pictures that nobody cares about.

litefoot 2000

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    i carry a Iphone. Its a phone, camera, internet, radio, i pod all in one. i dont carry another camera. i do carry a charger
    As for the Iphone camera, I can only use it for close-ups .Seems like it does not take vista shots or zoom pics without looking fuzzy.Is there a photo App to aid in better long distance shots?Another problem w/Iphone is very little signal recption along much of the trail,any fix for that?Something like a tin foil hat for example

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    This question came into my head yesterday: When I did the trail back in 1992, 75% of my fellow hikers were aghast at the fact I carried a small radio to listen to when I was on any trail.
    In 92, few of use were posting to Facebook, uploading pics to online albums, maintaining blogs in '92 ... These new technologies have changed significantly how a lot of us communicate with our friends and fambly.

My mind is currently a battlefield between my inner geek who loves all this stuff, and my inner curmudgeon who has hip issues, bad knees, is old, outta shape, cheap, and generally enjoys a simplified life.

I have a Panasonic Lumix camera which all three of us love for it's excellent image quality and wide-range telephoto lens. I'll be taking that along with a bunch of memory cards. Of course, it has a dedicated charger ... The curmudgeon doesn't like that much.

Mary and I both have the new tiny iPod Nanos, and plan on bringing them. Along with a charger ... We both have Kindles and plan on bringing them, with a charger ... Then we have headlamps which use AAAs. Be nice to use rechargables for them ... I want to geocache along the way and the geek's been looking at a Garmen Foretrex 301 which uses AAAs ...

All these chargers weigh in at almost 12 ozs of stuff I'd only use in town. Add in the weight of extra charged batteries and it gets to be over a pound. And that doesn't include the stuff they power!

Then, my geek self got all wrapped around the axle thinking about how to keep all these devices charged between town visits. Solar? nPeg? Brunton power pack? Bah! Even more technical complexity and weight ...

The Geek wants to be able to update Trail Journal, Facebook, and a blog on a regular basis (every night), and has looked at the iPhone and the new Samsung tablet. The Curmudgeon just ordered a three-pack of Moleskine plain Cahier journals with the kraft cardboard covers because "they're a lot lighter, the extra ones can go inna bounce box, and they don't require yet another #$%^ charger!"

While it may seem the curmudgeon has won this round, the Geek notes that I'm eligible for the "new every two" Verizon scam in August, and my current cell phone is pretty much a POS ...

No doubt I will be over-thinking this to death over the next several months! (The Geek is obsessive/compulsive like that). Right now, the Curmudgeon is winning out with his idea of my current cell phone (turned off and stowed in the pack), hand-written journals, and my camera ...

... We'll see
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

The way Earl Shaffer did it: Camera only.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Honestly who gives a rat's behind what you bring, so long as you want to carry it and its for your personal use.

It's your hike no one elses. No matter what all the assorted naysayers on here are saying

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

That DT-400W looks like a nice radio. A speaker is more relaxing than headphones when you're falling asleep although earbuds aren't bad. Weather band is definitely handy.

I like the Sony SRF-M37W which runs on a single AAA (keeping weight down, though it may go through these quickly) and also has weather band. This radio is very small and has an armband so you can use it as a sports radio. No speaker; just a headphone jack.

Lately I've been taking a Coby CX-90 which is a nice, light, compact digital-tuning AM/FM radio with headphone jack only. It runs on two AAA's. You can get it from J&R for $15. Reception is surprisingly good.

I also take along an old Nokia 2600 candybar phone and an extra battery for the phone. With the google SMS search-by-text message feature you can get weather reports and forecasts with your cellphone. Well, if you have an iphone or similar I suppose you could get weather maps, radar images, the whole NOAA site.

The iphone still doesn't grab me. The idea of something that you have to keep charging and worrying about running down the battery before you can get your next charge doesn't appeal to me. For the foreseeable future I'm going to stick with devices that run on disposable batteries which you can buy anywhere. Obviously my cell phone is an exception to that rule but it charges quite rapidly (dead empty to full in maybe a half an hour). Not sure how long an iphone takes to juice up.

Journal Entries

As for the Iphone camera, I can only use it for close-ups .Seems like it does not take vista shots or zoom pics without looking fuzzy.Is there a photo App to aid in better long distance shots?Another problem w/Iphone is very little signal recption along much of the trail,any fix for that?Something like a tin foil hat for example
    They have Verizon iPhone now, which should improve reception. iPhone 4 camera is really good IMO and there is quite a few apps, that help with pic taking. I don't take too many vista shots, anyhow. I prefer people. Vistas I take notes and grab a pic off Flickr! There are real photographers out there.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++